Dubai World Superseries Finals 2016 : The Qualifier's List & DRAW

Discussion in 'BWF Superseries Finals 2016' started by CLELY, Nov 29, 2016.

1. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

[​IMG]
    *Hamdan Sports Complex | 14-18 December 2016

BWF has released the complete list of 2016 Dubai Superseries Finals qualifiers for all five categories => http://bwfbadminton.com/2016/11/29/sindhu-leads-last-minute-dubai-qualifiers/

Men's SIngles
    1) Jan O Jorgensen (DEN)
    2) Son Wan Ho (KOR)
    3) Tian Houwei (CHN)
    4) Angus Ng Ka Long (HKG)
    5) Viktor Axelsen (DEN)
    6) Marc Zwiebler (GER)
    7) Lee Chong Wei (MAS)
    8) Chen Long (CHN)*
    wild card entry as 2016 Olympic Champion

Women's Singles
    1) Tai Tzu Ying (TPE)
    2) Akane Yamaguchi (JPN)
    3) Sun Yu (CHN)
    4) Sung Ji Hyun (KOR)
    5) Ratchanok Intanon (THA)
    6) He Bingjiao (CHN)
    7) Carolina Marin (ESP)
    8) Pusarla V. Sindhu (IND)

Men's Doubles
    1) Takeshi Kamura/Keigo Sonoda (JPN)
    2) Goh V Shem/Tan Wee Kiong (MAS)
    3) Chai Biao/Hong Wei (CHN)
    4) Marcus Fernaldi Gideon/Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo (INA)
    5) Angga Pratama/Ricky Karanda Suwardi (INA)
    6) Mads Conrad Petersen/Mads Pieler Kolding (DEN)
    7) Mathias Boe/Carsten Mogensen (DEN)
    8) Fu Haifeng/Zhang Nan (CHN)*
    wild card entry as 2016 Olympic Champion

Women's Doubles
    1) Misaki Matsutomo/Ayaka Takahashi (JPN)
    2) Kamilla Rytter Juhl/Christinna Pedersen (DEN)
    3) Jung Kyung Eun/Shin Seung Chan (KOR)
    4) Chang Ye Na/Lee So Hee (KOR)
    5) Naoko Fukuman/Kurumi Yonao (JPN)
    6) Nitya Krishinda Maheswari/Greysia Polii (INA)
    7) Luo Ying/Luo Yu (CHN)
    8) Chen Qingchen/Jia Yifan (CHN)

Mixed Doubles
    1) Ko Sung Hyun/Kim Ha Na (KOR)
    2) Lu Kai/Huang Yaqiong (CHN)
    3) Joachim Fischer Nielsen/Christinna Pedersen (DEN)
    4) Zheng Siwei/Chen Qingchen (CHN)
    5) Tontowi Ahmad/Liliyana Natsir (INA)
    6) Praveen Jordan/Debby Susanto (INA)
    7) Chris Adcock/Gabrielle Adcock (ENG)
    8) Kenta Kazuno/Ayane Kurihara (JPN)

DRAW date : Monday, 12th December 2016 (InterContinental Hotel Dubai, 10.30am)

Two high reputation players Lee Chong Wei and Chen Long plus their closest rivals Danish star Jan O Jorgensen and Viktor Axelsen will headline Dubai competition in men's singles category. We'll see the newcomers in women's singles, Sun Yu, He Bingjiao and Rio silver medalist P.V. Sindhu, too bad last year champion Nozomi Okuhara can't defend her title here due to injury lately.

Badminton powerhouse China has 10 representatives, maximum quota despite Chen Long and Fu/Zhang get wild card to book Dubai spot.as the Olympic Champion in Olympic year followed by Denmark with six spots and Korea, Japan, Indonesia have 5 representative each.

#1 CLELY, Nov 29, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    Cheung, nilesh123 and pcll99 like this.
  2. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

LOL :D, Chen Long will not play any tournament till next year's England Open.

Lee C Wei is suffering from fever.

Dan Lin is interested though if BWF decides to give him wildcard.

3. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    so confirmed chen long not coming ? i think lin dan never been to dubai before eh

4. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Sorry, but I think Chen Long's wild card entry is debatable. The Dubai World Superseries finals are meant for the players that show consistent (!) results over the year. Just because he won the Olympics doesn't mean he was consistent over the year. Results show he was clearly not, as he has not won a single superseries title this year.

But of course I know that other players that did not win a title this year are participating. I just find it weird that players who showed consistent bad results over the year - for example Marc Zwiebler - are invited.

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

It's BWF that changed the rule to give automatic qualification to the reigning WC or OG titlist. I rerckon they've their rationale or considerations for doing that.

If Chen Long didn't take a few months break post-ROG, I'm sure qualification for him is a cinch. Besides, the SS Standings is a separate list from the BWF WR based on which Chen Long is still at No.2, Marc Zwiebler at 13 and Lee CW remains at 1 (not 6 in SS Rankings and if he'd skipped the CHN Open PSS, he'd be out of SFF). Incidentally, Lin Dan is at WR 5.

I've of the opinion that limiting the SSF to only the top 8 is somewhat arbitrary but that's a another topic.

Anyway, Chen Long has said he's not going to Dubai though the organizer and sponsors will want him to grace the event; it's an academic issue now. No big deal to him.

At the same time, Fu Haifeng/Zhang Nan, the OG Champion, whose SS Standing is at 12, won't be there either, so we should see Li Junhui/Liu Yuchen at No.6 in the SS Standings retaining their Dubai spot.

By the way, if not for Sayaka Sato being the 3rd JPN SSF qualifier, P V Sindhu will be out. Similarly, H K Vittinghus being the 3rd DEN player at SS Ranking 5 is excluded, allowing Vincent Wong Wing Ki at SS Ranking 9 to replace Chen Long who's opting out.

Helix99 likes this.
  6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

If I may add, by right, Rob3rt's argument should be against the use of wild card, and not target Chen Long alone.

As we know, wild cards are a common practice in sports, even for major prestigious events such as the Olympics, and it is awarded at the discretion of the organizer.

7. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

But Dan Lin was consistent, he should be invited. I mean who wants to see Wong Wong Ki and Zwiebler when you can see Dan Lin.

8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Officially,Lin Dan is on leave until January next year, so no international tournaments but he may play the CBSL (domestic league).

9. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Give wild card to WC is logic; give wild card to SS Final is dumb, no logic at all

10. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Let's not argue who should or should not be going to Dubai.
    Those who doesn't want to go, let them be. It's their choice.
    BWF set the rules and let's just wait and enjoy some badminton.

On another note, in MS (or for all 5 disciplines), I think THW is the odd one out.

nilesh123 and CLELY like this.
  11. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    so sad, i am going to dubai to watch but fu hai feng, zhang nan & chen long not coming

12. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    LCW has a nice H2H vs his so called "closest rivals" hahaha:D

13. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Indeed, Lee CW has postitive H-2-H record against all qualifiers except Chen Long. Looking at last two meetings, Jorgensen really troubled him in INA Premier and JPN Superseries ;)

14. event

event Regular Member

Not exactly. Sindhu finished 4000 points ahead of Sato. Hu Yun is ahead of Wong Wing Ki.
    Correct in general. However, there is no wild card for Olympic badminton.

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Sorry, are we looking at the same list ? http://bwfworldsuperseries.com/rankings/?id=4&cat_id=12&ryear=2016&week=47&page_size=25&page_no=1 - I thought Wong Wing Ki is at No,9 while Hu Yun at 10 and Sato is at 9 while Sindhu at 10. Oh, I realized, the page I'm looking at is updated only up to week 47 dated Nov 24, not after the HK Open on Nov 27 Finals Day.

True, Olympic badminton don't award wild cards, but by setting quotas and giving places to certain continents and players/pairs ranked way outside is in effect no different from wild cards, though technically speaking you're right.

Btw, wild cards are a normal practice in tennis, even trading them between grand slams, if I'm not wrong. Presumably, the organizers and sponsors want maximum publicity and certain players to draw in the crowds as well as ensure as far as possible the status befitting the prestige of the high caliber event.

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Personally, I hope Chen Long turns up. Certainly BWF, the tournament organizer and the big-time sponsors, including the city Dubai itself, will want both Lee CW and Chen Long participating.

Let's hope the SSF doesn't turn out an anti-climax as it has happened more often than not over the years.

17. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    No PV finished 8th, SN 9th where as Sato secured 10th place.
    Here,
    http://bwf.tournamentsoftware.com/ranking/ranking.aspx?rid=155

18. Master

Master Regular Member

You need to shortening the time frame when we are speaking about road to Dubai ranking

Mark Zwiebler had achieved the sixth best performance over the 2016 year regarding superseries tournament result and you said he was got a bad result? How dare you are.

Speaking about Dubai SSF journey, if somebody win 1 tournament and absent in several SS tournaments later and comeback with winning the last SS tournament before Dubai SSF so we call it he got 2 SS tittles AND comparing with others playing all SS tournament with avarage result as quarter finalist, the second man will got better point toward road to Dubai ranking point.

EVEN if there are TIE in total road to Dubai points, the one whose joining more SS tournament deserves better position.
    AND for the wild card, the requirement is not only he/she/they won Olympics/WC title BUT he/she/they need to be inside TOP 20 ranking.

19. Master

Master Regular Member

There are wild cards in Olympic badminton, you missed that.
    1. Host Country places
    2. Tripartite Commission Invitation Places

20. event

event Regular Member

I didn't miss them. Those rules differ from how people usually use the word wild card. Host country places have to be the highest ranked player in the country and they only come into play if the country has no one qualified. Tripartite requires special permission from a special Commission with selection criteria that I am not familiar with but they certainly can't be used to sneak Lin Dan in like in the 2013 Worlds. But yes, I understand your reasoning if you want to consider these to be wild cards.

I think there is a significant difference between the Olympic or even the World Championship wild card and the SSF ones. In the SSF, you are taking the spot away from a top 10 player, generally. With the tripartite commission at the Olympics, it comes at the expense of someone usually ranked around #75 in the world. Same idea with host country places or even Lin Dan's 2013 WC wild card. Sending Chen Long instead of Hu Yun is no worse than denying a spot to the 3rd-ranked player from a major power.