Yonex FRENCH Open 2016 - SEMIFINALS (29th October)

Discussion in 'French Open / Bitburger Open 2016' started by CLELY, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Lest we forget, it's only the semifinals of a SS tournament. Do they have enough gas in their tank for tomorrow's title match ?

Nevertheless, what a stupendous achievement by Chen Qingchen/Jia Yifan - they are made for greater things to come, for sure.

2. lee00

lee00 Regular Member

Sure they can beat the KOR pair. I'll bet my money on em.

3. Maurice MJC

Maurice MJC Regular Member

What an ugly scream and attitude from that WD Chinese girl, celebrating and screaming, 2,3 or even 4 times, at every point, including net cords and service mistake Even worse than Marin (who knew that was possible!) Very embarassing to watch..

Mastumoto was a bit lacking today, especially in these 4 match points in G2, they had pretty much lost G3 when they lost G2 as it took a real toll on their morale. They tried until the end though. One of the best WD we have seen in a while and probably a better match than the final will be!

#143 Maurice MJC, Oct 29, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
    yf19-sama, CLELY, visor and 2 others like this.
  4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

In tomorrow's finals, Chen Qingchen's counterparts in XD and WD, namely Kim Ha Na in XD and Chang Ye Na and Lee So Hee in WD, only have to play one discipline each.

Chen Qingchen is not only young at 19 years of age, she is also not that strongly built, I wonder how she will fare in the two finals tomorrow esp after such a grueling semifinal with the JPN pair just now.

5. lee00

lee00 Regular Member

Chen QC screams, Marin screams, Bodin Isara screams. They annoy me. N. Okuhara bows, that annoys me more.

volcom likes this.
  6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

How is it worse than Marin's ? As we know, they are usually not like that, today's match was quite unusual in that the CHN youngsters got carried away by the occasion playing a most formidable opponents, their emotions got the better of them in their hunger to prove themselves. Obviously, their screaming weren't aim at their opponents and their celebrations somewhat overboard but on the whole, under the circumstances, not too jarring or else the umpire would've have warned them to restrain themselves.

Understandably, it's part of their raw youthfulness and growing up process, motivated by a strong desire to prove themselves to their coaches. Like I've said, cut them some slack. I'm sure they will outgrow it in no time as they achieve more success going forward; after all, this is only an ordinary Superseries tournament and the pair doesn't have any title to their name yet, hence the over-exuberance. Please be more tolerant, understanding and forgiving towards the two 19-year-olds who are apparently still lacking in maturity.

Moreover, if this is unacceptable to you, then I'm sure there are other players and pairs that will get on your nerves. I believe we can afford to be a bit more indulgent towards them, those who cross the line will invite yellow and red cards from the umpire, for sure, as happened to some of them before.

volcom likes this.
  7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

What a dramatic turnaround for the Thai MD pair !

8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

The INA must be kicking themselves for letting the Thais escape from their grasp.

Look at the way the Thai players and their coach celebrate.

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

To me , the sadder part is that for such a physically demanding sport, so strenuous, including the risk of injury, the workload is simply out of proportion to the monetary rewards , even when compared with, say, table tennis, let alone professional tennis.

10. Maurice MJC

Maurice MJC Regular Member

No I cannot -and we shoud not- afford to be more indulgent against ugly attitudes and lack of sportmanship from professionnal athletes, here more specifically QC. They have been doing this throuhgout this whole tournament and way before that, so nothing unusual or out of ordinary for this chinese pair. And yes I insist that a scream -a shriek really- at every point, net cords, every service and other mistake, that is repeated up to 4 times is not genuine but forced, and definitely worse than Marin's in my view (add to that a general lack of manner in asking for the shuttle to be changed). But let's agree to disagree -I know where this is going and I'd rather avoid debating endlessly with you.

KB@TB Em and yf19-sama like this.
  11. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Yeah...I think they placed a mic near to the coach. Never happened in other tournaments. I am sure the coaches give instructions but this CHN lady coach is a little annoying.

12. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Yes..one celebration after winning the point is natural instincts but repeating it a few times is forced and not natural.

13. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Nothing like the natural river of emotions ?

'' Focused to the limit. No screams. "

[​IMG]

lee00 likes this.
  14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Fine , we can agree to disagree, except that no one beats Marin who is on record to have been warned several times by different umpires (still happening lately), yellow-carded a few times and even once red-carded.

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

What is natural to one may be unnatural to others, the most important thing is to be true to yourself. Let's live and let live, within reasonable limit.

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I can imagine, had the CHN WD pair lost, some people might rub it in and say they deserved it. I mean, by focusing only on their court antics and ignoring or refusing to acknowledge their never-say-die spirit and indomitable willpower for two such young,inexperienced up-and-comers to overcome supposedly insurmountable obstacles smacks of hypocrisy and double standard, unhidden bias, to me, simply unfair and unjust.

Incidentally, it may appear a shock upset to the formidable JPN WD pair but ,iirc, it's not the first time they were defeated by some lesser-known, unfancied young CHN pairings (I can't recall which combinations offhand, not once only but twice by two different pairings - was BaoYixin/Tang Jinhua one of them, and the other one is ?)

17. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    I can't believe I am agreeing with Justin :p
    Maybe this is coz I really like CQC.

Yes the celebrations are some what louder then Marin (never thought it was possible) and the screams sometimes transform into shreieks.. Yes, she sometimes repeatedly jump and pumps herself up.. Yes, she sometimes animatedly congratulates her partner in Mandarin..(?) (I can't understand 'em)...
    But, I most vehemently disagree to compare her "intentions" to that of Marin. Her celebrations are actually "true celebrations" and not to demoralize or annoy her opp. I sometimes think that even she can't believe how beautifully she (or her partner) finished the rally.. And she's so young yet managed to def OG silver and Gold medalists in successive days, it's no wonder she's awestruck and in total disbelief she had that "thing" in herself.
    Just imagine when you are on the verge of def the best duo on circuit (MM/AT are my personal fav and I was supporting 'em) and its a see saw battle and your opp are literally throwing everything back at you with interest (AT was on fire and literally the duo's def in g2 was par excellence) and your adrenaline rush in pumping at high intensity. Now, in this situation wouldn't you be delighted and open heartedly welcome every pt (even if they come from luck of the net or service mistakes)...
    To me it was extremely "natural" and the animated behavior of the coach is another evidence of how imp this "normal" SS title is for this budding duo.
    To one his/her own, this is just my opinion.

Justin L and visor like this.
  18. lee00

lee00 Regular Member

AFAIR in 2016- The JPN only lost to Juhl/Pedersen, Jung/Shin, TYT/YY, Tang JH/Huang YQ and Chen/Jia.

19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Well said.

nilesh123 likes this.
  20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Thanks for the info.