Is BAM going in the right direction?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by cobalt, May 22, 2011.

1. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

well, hope she can maintain high enough to be world beater, recent AJC quite disappointing no thanks to her latest common injury like cramp... however I still have high hope on her to be more than LCW... and hopefully she is not alone, she needs more better WS players on her side, like WJC runner-up Lee Ying Ying, senior Ho Yen Mei and recent returning Sonia Cheah...

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    You don't have to win every competition. It is impossible.

3. bayanbaru

bayanbaru Regular Member

just get LCW to train Goh Jin Wei

4. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

SEPANG: The Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) will be reshuffle the national team as preparation to ensure Malaysia continues to be the main challenger for medals in the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo. According to BAM honorary-secretary, Ng Chin Chai, the national badminton governing body made the decision to reshuffle even before the national squad left for Rio de Janeiro.

“We had proposed to reshuffle (the national squad) after the Olympics sometime ago, so we will do that to meet our targets in the next four years and improve on our medal collection,” he told reporters on his return from the Rio Olympics at the KLIA here yesterday.

The national badminton squad produced a very inspiring performance at the just concluded Rio Olympics when Datuk Lee Chong Wei clinched his third silver medal in the men’s singles, while the men’s doubles pair of Goh V Shem-Tan Wee Kiong and mixed doubles pair of Chan Peng Soon-Goh Liu Ying also created upsets to collect the silver medal.

Another silver medal of the country was contributed by the diving pair of Pandelela Rinong Pamg and Cheong Jun Heong through the synchronished 10m platform event while cyclist Mohd Azizulhasni Awang delivered a bronze medal in the men’s keirin race for Malaysian’s best ever Olympics medal haul of four silver and one bronze medals.

Commenting on the status of national singles coach, Hendrawan of Indonesia, who is now guiding Chong Wei, Chin Chai said the association would continue with his service even if Chong Wei decides to retire before Tokyo 2020.

“We will continue to engage Hendrawan as his contract is still running. However, we will discuss with Chong Wei on preparations for Tokyo, whether he is still interested to play or not.
    After that, we will review whether to let Hendrawan continue coaching him (Chong Wei) or other players. “Chong Wei will be resting and we will discuss at a suitable juncture with Hendrawan and technical director Morten Frost.
    If he is willing to play up to Tokyo, then it is very good...age is not a factor so long as he is willing to play and is not injured and can maintain his fitness,” he said.

Chin Chai said BAM was aware that it was difficult to find a replacement for Chong Wei and was planning to produce several players in the top 10 world ranking so that Malaysia will continue to be a major challenger for medals at the Olympics. --BERNAMA

Read More : http://www.nst.com.my/news/2016/08/168310/badminton-bam-reshuffle-squad-preparation-tokyo-2020

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    They still considering Lee Chong Wei for Tokyo Olympics?

6. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

don't think so, as LCW would retire after World Championship next year, by then have to leave the youngsters for Tokyo Olympic...

7. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Not so good news for LD if LCW is to continue.

8. indrg

indrg Regular Member

9. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    Soon Huat singles no more as he hooks up with Shevon
    BY RAJES PAUL
    [​IMG]
    KUALA LUMPUR: Goh Soon Huat has finally given up playing in men’s singles event.

After six years of limited success, he has decided to try his luck in mixed doubles with Shevon Lai Jemie.

Shevon has been without a partner since Wong Fai Xin quit in July.

Soon Huat is the third shuttler to quit playing in men’s singles with the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) this year. Two others – Chong Wei Feng and Liew Daren – quit the national team earlier this year to become independent shuttlers.

The 26-year-old Soon Huat admitted that “this is one of the hardest decisions I have made”.

“I have to be honest. I train very hard, but it is just so tough to make any headway in the singles. I do not see a future in it,” said world No. 43 Soon Huat.

“It is my best ever ranking, yet I know I have to give it (men’s singles) up ... I have no choice ... let’s see how it goes in the mixed doubles.”

Soon Huat’s best result in men’s singles since joining the national team in 2009 was reaching the final of the 2013 Malaysian Open Grand Prix. Last year, he also reached the semi-finals of the Macau Open and Dutch Open.

He appeared in two major tournaments – the Thomas Cup Finals and Asian Games – but did not play a prominent role.

Soon Huat, who has given himself two years to chart a career in mixed doubles, said that he was inspired by the change of fortune in the career of Tan Kian Meng.

Kian Meng gave up singles last year and is doing well in mixed doubles with Lai Pei Jing.

“Playing in the mixed doubles is totally different. I have to completely change my game. The key is to complement my partner well,” said Soon Huat.

“Kian Meng has shown that it can be done, so I want to give it a shot too. I want to see how it goes in the next two years.”

Soon Huat-Shevon will make their international at the Malaysian International Challenge in Sabah next month.
    http://www.thestar.com.my/sport/badminton/2016/10/08/soon-huat-switches-to-mixed-doubles/

10. zatoino

zatoino Regular Member

i watch Wong Fai Yin play quite good, only he's no big smasher like Goh V Shem & Tan Kian Meng, and he's quite young as he's now 23 years old, too early for him to call it quit...

as for Goh Soon Huat, hope he can have a good breakthrough on mixed double like Tan Kian Meng today...

11. indrg

indrg Regular Member

Goh Soon Huat should enter MD instead. The MAS MD is wide open for a 2nd pair after GVS/TWK.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

12. maxout

maxout Regular Member

MD is more challenging with many top world class pairs from other countries esp the Koreans and Malaysians are "hard" on the MS and MD (high expectations). Maybe he needs to recover his confidence by switching out of the spotlight for a while. Seriously, I have no idea how the Koreans do it but since the emergence of Park Joo Bong-Kim Moon Soo, they have not slacked in producing really good pairs year in year out since then.

13. maxout

maxout Regular Member

BAM should read this paragraph:

Park said that coaching in Japan gives him an authority that would likely not be granted to a head coach in Korea.

"In Korea, there are people above the head coach who control the team, but here in Japan, the coach has an edge of his or her own," he said. "I'm able to do what I need to do to get my team to the crown."

From article: http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2016/07/600_173809.html

Meanwhile, BAM got POLITICIANS WHO KNOW NUTS ABOUT BADMINTON MAKING DECISIONS !!! :rolleyes:

14. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

that's why got some national players decided to quit BAM and go play international tournaments as independent players which some of them do well lately...

15. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

if Daren Liew no quit BAM, he might go play MD with Goh Soon Huat as a pair, DL's smash quite good...

16. SibugiChai

YAB
    Monday, 10 October 2016 | MYT 10:30 PM

Familiar face set to return to BAM
    BY RAJES PAUL
    [​IMG]
    Rosman (right) with Rashid Sidek. Rosman was the national women's doubles coach before he quit in May 2015.

KUALA LUMPUR: An old face is set to return to the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) as the national women’s singles coach.

It is learnt that Rosman Razak and Sairul Amar Ayob have been shortlisted for the job. The new coach will start work on Nov 1.

There is a vacancy after the BAM moved Wong Tat Meng from the women’s singles department to coach the men singles players last month.

Previously, Rosman served as the national women’s doubles coach. Sairul was a national men’s singles player but left to join professional outfit KLRC. He quit the sport in 2009.

http://www.thestar.com.my/sport/badminton/2016/10/10/old-face-to-come-back-to-bam/

17. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Sadly looking at the immediate players that we have ... I think we need the next next cohort ... 10-15 years from now ... I cannot see any of the current cohort to be able to challenge for any Superseries, Thomas Cup whatever CONSISTENTLY - the odd flashes or two, yes ... unless the whole generation of players from other countries also SUCKS TOGETHER :p !! Then the one that sucks the least will win !!

LD and LCW being King of their respective countries for so long until there are no real new challengers. Indonesia had the same problem when Liem Swie King stopped before Taufik came along. Now, they are also looking for a new King. Yes, it is a big shakeup in the traditional countries and opportunities for other countries to step in.

18. SibugiChai

YAB
    indonesia has many good players between lim swee king & taufik era,

haryanto arbi, joko, allan budikusuma, ardy wiranata and many more

badminton standard has improve tremendously,

19. maxout

maxout Regular Member

You are right but somehow they "never stick" to my memory like Rudy, Liem ("pioneer" of baseline jumping smash) and Taufik .... for Indonesian players.

For Malaysian players, to me names that stick to my mind - Saw Swee Leong, James Selvaraj, Misbun, Razif and Jailani (the "S" service) and then LCW.

For Chinese player - Han Jian, Yang-yang and Lin Dan.

For Koreans - Park Joo Bong-Kim Moon Soo (until today I have never seen any pair that plays doubles the way they did then, it was so intense for its time, a "revelation" to me then)

For Denmark - Morten Frost.

These are the names I recall immediately if you ask me. My apologies to the others ! :rolleyes:

I guess these are players from whom I learnt something from watching how they play.

Whenever I ask my dad, he will always say WONG PENG SOON and he remarked that the closest to WPS is Han Jian's style of play.

#2199 maxout, Oct 11, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
    SibugiChai likes this.
  20. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

Malaysia best MS players so far from 1940s to 2010s:

1940s & 1950s - Ong Poh Lim, Wong Peng Soon
    1960s - Eddy Choong
    1970s - Punch Gunalan
    1980s - Misbun Sidek, Foo Kok Keong
    1990s - Rashid Sidek, Ong Ewe Hock
    2000s - Wong Choong Hann, Lee Chong Wei
    2010s - Lee Chong Wei

SibugiChai, MikeYeap and maxout like this.