Intermediate level in Seoul Korea

Discussion in 'Japan / Korea' started by terryng90, Sep 26, 2016.

1. terryng90

terryng90 Regular Member

student
    Hello all

I will be in Seoul, Korea starting of October this year and hoping to meet some good players to play with.
    I know it is difficult to know how good a player in intermediate level is

This link is a recorded game of me (white shirt & black long sleeve) That was 3 years ago and of course
    I've improved. Is there a place where I can play with to have a good game?

Cheers
    Terry

2. event

event Regular Member

I think the most important thing is what area of Seoul you will be in. No matter where you go to play badminton in Seoul, two things will almost certainly be true: 1) there will be players above your level and players below; and 2) there won't be any Badminton Central members there. I'm exaggerating, of course, but I sometimes feel like the only one who replies on this Korea forum and you'll never find me in Seoul :D.

Once we know your neighbourhood, we can more easily and logically choose from the hundreds of clubs in order to give you a suggestion. I suppose I could just say "I", but I think you're also more likely to get a BC member who actually lives in Seoul to reply if you've identified an area.

3. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Okay this is the group then. There is a group called Seoul Badminton Meetup 서울 배드민턴.

This is definitely a nice group for meetup. It is located at Seoul, South of Korea.

Let's Play Badminton! This is a casual group of badminton newbies and badminton "athletes" that want to meet together to play once a week. Bring your own equipment or some equipment will be provided so you can just show up.

배으민턴을 합시다! 저희는 일주일 한번 하는 아마추어를 위한 동호회입니다. 장비가 무료로 포함 되는데 자기 장비도 있으면 가져 오세요.

You can also reach us at our Kakao group http://group.kakao.com/g/seoulbadminton

or

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/1544831112414812/

Okay I am actually providing you with this simple information so that it can help you to find a group of badminton players that you would like to play with.

Cheung likes this.
  4. blabl

blabl Regular Member

For those of you who are new to this meepup this is how to find us. Come out through exit No.7 of Shinchon station(subway line No.2) and walk straight till you reach the 3 way intersection, at which you can see 신촌연세병원 on your left. Go across the street towards IBK bank and turn right as you step onto the sidewalk on the other side of the street. Climb up the second trail with a ramp and stairs(the first one leads you to a dead end). Keep climbing the hills past 금호아파트 complex then you'll be able to see the stairway to Wowsan Sport Park. The green building in the far end is the badminton gym. We normally occupy the mid courts for our meetup events. Recently I was also informed that there is a green bus which stops right in front of the sport park entrance. It is a green bus No.13 and runs 10, 30, 50 minutes of every hour. You can catch the bus at exit No.7 of shinchon station. If you do not want to climb the steep hill, taking the bus would be a great alternative.

☆Caution☆
    All participants of this sport activity are strongly advised to do enough warming up and stretching excercises prior to playing badminton and be aware of the surroundings at all times during the event as Seoul Badminton will not be held liable to any injuries that may occur during the event.

5. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Remember to exit at No. 7 of Shinchon station and do not stray or wonder away to other places. Seoul is a very big city and for those foreigners or other people who are not well versed with Korea it is very easy for them to get lost at this big city. So to manuever around the city it is always good to bring along a map with you so that you won't get lost.

6. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Another place that you can play is at Hongje Badminton Club. This club is quite famous I would say in Korea.

Pros
    • It is indoors.
    • The building is well lit.
    • There are six courts.
    • The locals are very friendly. So much so, that they might even start teaching you how to play.
    • There are birdies available for public use. However, they are a bit worn.
    Cons
    • Although there are six courts, they do get busy. Be prepared to wait your turn.
    • If the courts are busy, be prepared to play doubles or share a court.
    Nearby

• Mountains

• Ansan
    • Baekryasan
    • Goeunsan
    How To Get There
    Where: Seoul-si, Seodaemun-gu, Hongeun-1-dong

From Line 3 - Hongje Station (홍제역):

-Take Bus 110A, 110B, 153, 7018, or 7730 to Seoul Women's College of Nursing (Bus Stop ID: 13-169 and 13-168).
    -From the bus stop, walk towards the S-Oil gas station. The ramp leading to the courts is on the opposite side of the street from the gas station.
    -You will see two banners in Korean. The badminton facility is behind the banners.

Cheung likes this.
  7. blabl

blabl Regular Member

@terryng90

I sincerely hope that you will enjoy your short stay at Seoul.

8. terryng90

terryng90 Regular Member

student
    Thank you for the replies. I'll be staying at Dongdaemun-gu, Seoul, South Korea. I certainly love the higher challenge. This is
    somewhat to challenge myself to play against stronger players regardless win or lose.

9. event

event Regular Member

If you are in Dongdaemun-gu, it's a pretty big place and the Badmintontimes listing shows 18 clubs. One popular place may be the Dongdaemungu Chaeyookkwan. It's where clubs #10 and #11 from that list play. There is also the Dongdaemun-gu Gumin Chaeyookkwan. #12 on the list seems to play there. Also, this thread might have places close to you. It all depends on what area you live in. You can try the places blabl has recommended first and then if you want something closer to home, try these other suggestions.

blabl likes this.
  10. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Thanks for your reply too. :)

11. blabl

blabl Regular Member

@terryng90

I hope you will enjoy your trip to Seoul plus playing badminton too.

12. blabl

blabl Regular Member

@terryng90

If you need any help to get to any places in Seoul just drop me a message here and I will get back to you as soon as possilbe.:)

Always remember that Seoul is a very big city. So wherever you go make sure you bring along a map with you.

13. Spadroliken

Spadroliken Regular Member

Student
    Hi, for this badminton club, do we have to look for any organiser to play? Will be there around late January 2017 and would be looking for a place to play and are there any badminton shops to recommend?

14. event

event Regular Member

The information that blabl posted on the Hongje club is available in its entirety here. Blabl might know more but if shuttles are provided, it is possible that one would have to pay something. Elsewhere in this forum, someone has said that there was no entry fee at Waoo (a.k.a. Wow) Park, near Hongdae and Shinchon. The two facilities look similar.

If you are arriving in January, be forewarned that in Korea, badminton gyms tend to be cold. Around here, we have gyms that are heated but not insulated, insulated but not heated, and neither heated nor insulated. I think I've only come across one that was both heated and insulated, though. A lot of places have electric or kerosene space heaters that are mainly for keeping warm between matches. I personally have not found a place with urethane floors and no admission fee that is also kept warm but don't take my word for it. Ask blabl if he knows a place where it is not too cold.

15. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Thanks for your updates and reply.

16. event

event Regular Member

Spadroliken, Terry, did both of you find places to play in Seoul?

17. Joanne Yap

Joanne Yap New Member

@blabl Hi there! I'm an exchange student in Sejong University. By any chance, do you know any badminton club or place for badminton near Gwangjin-gu, Seoul?

18. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Joanne Yap likes this.
  19. blabl

blabl Regular Member

This link may also help. There are a lists of main facilities at the link given. Scroll down to find this.

https://www.gwangjin.go.kr/eng/main/contents.do?menuNo=700139

Gwangjin Indoor Badminton Court
    40 , Cheonhodae-ro 140-gil, Gwangjin-gu, Seoul
    ☎+82-2-458-9062
    Badminton gym

Joanne Yap likes this.
  20. blabl

blabl Regular Member

@Joanne Yap

Hi nice to know you. Anyway if you need any other help can drop me a message here. Anyway I hope the links that I have given can help you. Phone number is also available so you can call the badminton club before going there.

Joanne Yap likes this.