Which protein weight gainer did really help skinny guys gain weight?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by s6edge, Sep 26, 2016.

1. s6edge

s6edge Regular Member

I have tried many weight gainers from bodybuilding but I still can't gain weight. I have a super fast metabolism compare to American people. Most of weight gainers only work on Americans.

I would like to ask here because there are badminton players here. Badminton players need to run a lot. So, I am wondering if there is any way for me to gain weight.

Thank you in advanced,

2. druss

druss Regular Member

Get old.... worked for me lol...

Seriously, i was like you. 5'10" and 125 lbs in university. Ate as much as 2 normal ppl but was playing 20 hours of badminton a week.... didn't gain any real weight until i graduated, got a desk job and my metabolism slowed after 30.

3. s6edge

s6edge Regular Member

how many pound do you weight now?

4. Alfredhpv

Alfredhpv Regular Member

Accountant
    From my experience, as long you drink protein daily , exercise daily, eat enough and sleep enough, you can gain muscle and weight no matter how skinny you are.

5. druss

druss Regular Member

165 lbs

6. iAsianGuy

iAsianGuy Regular Member

You could always hit up a Mcdonalds, every once in a while and you should gain some weight. Probably not the most ideal way but it should work

7. pepe54

pepe54 Regular Member

No pun intended here but I am going to ask you the following in the most direct manner:

By ways for you to gain weight, do you mean fat-weight, muscle weight or a mixture of both?
    So the question here is really what sort of mass type are you after?

To illustrate my point, you can have fit athletes classified as obese by strict BMI definition simply due to the fact that muscle weighs more. Vice versa, you can be un-obese by BMI definition but have a ton of body fat and water muscle which is .... well useless weight imho. All I can say at this stage is that you can gain body fat very rapidly for obvious reasons and as for gaining muscle, unfortunately its a long road ahead of you. Also bear in mind that large amounts of protein intake over a prolonged period can cause kidney damage or kidney failure. Personally, i've looked at the ingredient lists and formulations of mainstream protein or mass gainers and been disgusted ; theres nothing but a ton of crap carbs, sugars or worse artifical sweetners that I avoid like the plague.

Cheung likes this.
  8. pepe54

pepe54 Regular Member

That being said, bear in mind that nutrition alone won't bulk you up. You need to look into very specific forms of resistance training that enlarges muscle groups as opposed to building smaller endurance type muscles (sacromere vs sacroplasm thing, I forget).

9. kaki!

kaki! Regular Member

If you really have super fast metabolism, check with your doctor to see if there's thyroid issue (hyperthyroidism). A simple blood test will show.

10. pepe54

pepe54 Regular Member

Definitely do not. Other debilitating health risks aside, it turns muscle into fat and more fat. LOL

#10 pepe54, Oct 27, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  11. pepe54

pepe54 Regular Member

Actually, speaking from my personal experience here from following the above routine for the last 6-7 years: The above did not work for me. At best, I gained a small improvement in muscle mass, but I still weigh <60kg (infact I lost a few kilograms). I plan on getting a DEXA scan soon to figure out my body fat and muscle composition %'s but yeah. Its actually very difficult to gain muscle and mass past a certain point when the body decides its close to its optimal form and gains plateau from that point on.

12. Obito

Obito Regular Member

From my experience, I was always the most skinny guy in class till high school. I m 5"10-11. I was 110 lbs before I started lifting. First, you need to understand that no weight gainer will provide you resolution within a few week. It takes at least a month to notice your gain and it is even slower over time. I took a lot of weight gainers. It doesnt make you looks good trust me because later on you will be asking how to get rid of the skinny fat body .
    Weight lifting, food, rest, and whey protein will do the job tho. At my peak before started playing badminton, I was 150lbs (currently about 135-140 due "too much badminton") According to new research, try not to bulk up fat before lifting just start lifting right away because more fat you have the harder you will have to work in order to gain muscle mass.

13. Lucrecia Randall

Lucrecia Randall New Member

Call Center Agent / Financial Account.
    I think you are born with fast meta, consult your physician and he/she might recommend you something to control it.

14. skelro314

skelro314 Regular Member

I used to be 61/62kg @ 182cm. The thing is I thought I had trouble gaining weight. But the truth was I was grossly overestimating how much I was actually eating.

I picked up powerlifting (Stronglifts 5x5) for about a year and just stuffed myself and counted my calories. Drank lots of milk and probably one normal whey protein shake a day. After a year I was around 74kg but I had put on quite a bit of fat as well. Then I started Badminton and now I'm around 69/70kg. (I barely lift anymore)

The points I wanted to get across:

Some people overestimate how much they are eating.

You can gain weight without taking any weight gainers just by eating more and being in a caloric surplus. But the important thing is that you do track your calories!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Cheung likes this.
  15. bdmtfreak

bdmtfreak Regular Member

From personal experience, i think that there are only 2 supplements worth taking: Whey protein and Creatine.

Weight gainers are full of sugars and are really bad for your health. You would probably gain more fat than muscle using weight gainers. I would stick with real food as they contain nutrients and vitamins that you will not get from weight gainers.

Things required in order to gain muscle: Caloric surplus, a workout routine incorporating progressive overload, rest, and consistency.

You want to make sure you are eating enough protein for your body weight and that the total calories you intake are greater than what is required for you to maintain your weight. You might want to look into BMR and RMR calculators to see how many calories you need to consume. Personally I don't count calories because I don't think it is worth the trouble since I am not a competitive bodybuilder. That being said, if you are serious about weight gain/loss, I would suggest you count calories in order to maximize the effects from your efforts.

For a workout routine, you would want to stick with something simple. You can either do a full body, upper/lower, or push/pull/legs routine. Make sure to focus on compound exercises first before doing isolation exercises as they give you the most bang for you buck. Your goal for compound exercises is to do the heaviest weight you can for 6-8 reps with good form and increasing the weight as often as you can. For isolation exercises, you will want to use a lighter weight and aim for 10-12 reps, focusing on squeezing the muscle to get a good pump.

Rest is really important as you body repairs itself and builds muscle during this time. Make sure you get at least 7 hours of sleep if not more. Naps are great too during the day.

The most important thing is to stay consistent with whatever you are doing because you will not see results if you do not stick with it. Do not expect to see results after only a week as it often takes months before any significant changes take place.

If you want more tips and advice, feel free to pm me.

#15 bdmtfreak, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    skelro314 likes this.
  16. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

You have to eat more, to gain weight. I don't know about powders.

If you can afford it then eat plates and plates of food at restaurants.. If it's not too bland for you and you are ok with putting the time in then you can make large amounts of food yourself and eat that.

You should at least try going nuts with eating, If you're not shocking the people around you with how much you eat, and out-eating all of them including the fattest, then you're not eating that much and you should be able to up the amount you eat without too much difficulty.

If you are out-eating anybody you know and shocking people at any restaurant you go to, and shocking anybody you eat with, from the sheer quantity that you eat, and not gaining the weight you want, then, under certain other conditions, such as liking variety or having a tight budget on how much you can spend at restaurants, then it's going to be hard to do more, though it's not clear whether you are like that. There are bodybuilding forums where people do succeed in gaining weight.

One solution i've heard of, though not implemented, is to hire a chef for a few hours to make you all your meals for 2 weeks, and put them in the freezer. People really dedicated to particular programs will eat pre-prepared meals. And they can carry a special bodybuilding bag with all their meals. I know an organisation not far from me that has a deal where you pay like £900 a month like $30 a day, and they'll make all your food fresh and you pick it up every day. Many people will pay almost that on food anyway so from that perspective they argue that it's not unreasonable.

So many of the personal trainers at gyms i've spoken to, when i've really probed them with questions, do not eat that well themselves. Like one guy was totally honest with me and said his mum makes him his food.. Another guy ate uncle bens rice.. Most people can't afford to eat plates and plates at restaurants(healthy or unhealthy), every day multiple times a day, and don't enjoy cooking.. And really even people in the industry are struggling a lot with the problem of eating as much as they should, despite the fact that they advise people on how to. e.g. they often eat fairly healthily but not as much as they'd like to. Two I spoke to that at one time had pre-prepared meals, I spoke to some time later and they hadn't kept it up because they wanted more variety. As one said to me, it's a battle, and they're all trying hard to solve it.

17. jimmy00

jimmy00 New Member

I wouldn't stick to just protein powder as the source of calories to put on weight. The only real way is to just eat more, if you really want to put on weight and you live an active lifestyle, just eat. Eat whenever you get hungry and keep eating. Of course, you can easily hit your calories if you stuff big macs every day. Eating healthy + hitting your calorie intake is another thing. You can supplement it with protein powder, etc. I use myprotein as I'm UK-based and the flavours are pretty good, matcha all the way!

18. Cesium

Cesium Regular Member

Web Developer
    Exactly as the first reply: Just wait and GET OLD

Age will slow down your metabolism.

19. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    Eat 0.8 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight and fill the rest with carbs. DO NOT eat a lot of protein. You're going to feel full and undereat severely. I also have a really fast metabolism but I'll gain weight like anything if I go above my maintenance. If you're eating 4500 calories a day, you'll gain insane weight no matter what with little exceptions not of metabolism but energy expenditure. i.e., professional athletes, swimmers, runners etc. Then you go insane with 6-7k calories.

Really just download myfitnesspal, log everything and eat junk for a week. Aim for 3500 calories+ your weight will shoot up. Don't eat bland food. Eat tasty junk, workout and eat slightly above maintenance.

You're severely overestimating the calories you're consuming.

Eat three meals a day of 1k calories per meal and add a snack of whatever. Ice-cream is great.

for example (my approx style):

50 grams of protein per meal with one of 60 (yeah 5 is optimal for protein synthesis but 3 gets you 90% there and who cares in the long run), 150 grams of mostly fast digesting carbs per meal + huge fruit meal snack covering the base.

600g carbs is 2400 calories
    160g protein is 640 calories
    70 grams of fat is 630 calories

so total if carbs and protein are 4 calories per gram and fat is 9 we end up with daily calories of 3670.

I run very high carbs cause a) tasty, b) agrees with my body and my performance peaks on it.

More tips = drink a lot of your calories. It helps getting the calories down easier. Go for solid foods always when cutting for example to avoid feelings of starvation in the opposite scenario. My shakes can be insane when you start adding high calorie stuff to it.

20. It'sMeMeMe

It'sMeMeMe Regular Member

Many ppl like me r trying desperately to lose weight as we get older so that will be easier on the knees when badminton-ing.....but this guy desperately trying to gain weight

Man... neighbour's grass is definitely more green than mine.....