2016 Yonex Sunrise INDONESIAN Masters (6th-11th September)

Discussion in 'Brazil Grand Prix / Indonesia Masters 2016' started by CLELY, Aug 8, 2016.

1. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    goh jin wei beat nichaon last year during sea games, not really suprising

2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Child prodigy Goh Jin Wei is certainly a player to watch, very promising, but at 16 years of age she's still in her formative stage, so ups and downs are to be expected. Just the other week at the Asian Junior Championships, she lost to INA Gregoria Mariska in the team event but avenged that defeat here, and also lost to KOR Kim Ga Eun in the individual event at the QFs (iirc).

Give her time, in a year or two's time at least, I believe she may or will be a world-beater.

3. hellohello

hellohello Regular Member

Anyway thanks for your information. Sorry I was not aware that she has won over Nichaon before last year. Wow give this girl more time. She is I feel quite a good promising player. She really amazed me with her good performance in senior tournaments so far. :)

4. hellohello

hellohello Regular Member

But then above everything I am very amazed with Carolina Marin performance. Wow she won the WS gold medal in Rio Olympics 2016. It is so amazing that a player from Spain can actually win a badminton gold medal in Olympics. So unexpected. Carolina Marin really impressed me with her good performance thus far in tournaments. On top of that she is ranked no 1 in the world too. That speaks a lot about her good performance.

Wow who would have thought a player from Spain can be ranked no 1? Keep up the good work Carolina Marin. You make me so proud of your achievements. I believe that you will taste more success in the tournaments to come. :)

5. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

FINALS (01.00pm local time) => http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/s...5FF101-B76B-4FB2-A54D-05579F8043DD&d=20160911

Host Indonesia has two finalists, overall it's quite disappointing outcome that women's doubles, men's singles and women's singles disciplines fail to fulfill the target. China has secured men's singles crown and has one more finalist in men's doubles. Both Malaysia and Thailand also have two representatives while Korea has only one through women's doubles category. All finalists in this GP Gold are coming from young generation, under 25 years old that describe each nation is developing their future talents to prepare for higher level competition.

MS, Huang Yuxiang (CHN) v Shi Yuqi (CHN)
    H-2-H : 1-1 / WR : 44 v 41
    China back-ups shine here as they create all China finals, a breakthrough tournament for 20 years old Shi YQ to cruise into first ever GP Gold final while it'll be third time in 2016 for his older compatriot Huang YX who nailed New Zealand title and lost to Srikanth Kidambi early this year at Lucknow. Shi indicated well improvement for his style of play particularly defense aspect, this young man is projected to be China next leading man. Shi ended Zhao Junpeng impressive run in rubber games, Huang YX had two thrilling matches en route to last round, against Prannoy in last sixteen and strong favourite Wei Nan at semifinal, a very close deciding game for both encounters that finished by extra point.

WD, Jongkolphan Kititharakul/Rawinda Prajongjai (THA) v Chae Yoo Jung/Kim So Yeong (KOR)
    H-2-H : 0-0 / WR : 21 v 23
    Both pairs had gruelling semifinal match against home pair that physically demanding clash , Korean pair have slight advantage to top podium tomorrow as they have more exposures to appear in top level tournament regularly, Chae/Kim became 2015 Japan Superseries semifinalist while Thai young duo collected two International Challenge titles in Sydney and Kharkiv last year.

XD, Tan Kian Meng/Lai Pei Jing (MAS) v Ronald Alexander/Melati Daeva Oktavianti (INA)
    H-2-H : 0-0 / WR : 24 v 19
    An interesting fact that all Tan/Lai opponents are home combination including the last hurdle, Alexander/Oktaviani. Both finalists had won 1 title so far, Malaysian duo bagged Vietnam Open recently and Indonesian number three pair claimed Chinese Taipei GP last season. It could be third time lucky for Tan/Lai as they're beaten finalist in MAS Masters and TPE GP Gold this year, close final showdown at stake.

WS, Busanan Ongbamrungpan (THA) v Goh Jin Wei (MAS)
    H-2-H : 0-0 / WR : 18 v 50
    The reigning world junior champion proves her true talent to storm into final at senior level and nothing impossible for this Malaysian wonder kid to create another upset tomorrow as she outplayed and frustrated more experienced Jindapol in semifinal. Twenty years old Busanan performance looks stagnant and stuck at the moment, she needs significant transformation to break world top ten. A second GP Gold final in last 12 months for her after managed runner-up in Bitburger Open 2015, lost to Akane Yamaguchi.

MD, Han Chengkai/Zhou Haodong (CHN) v Wahyu Nayaka Arya Pankaryanira/Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo (INA)
    H-2-H : 0-0 / WR : 135 v -
    The best chance for Indonesia to pick title at homeground Grand Prix Gold tournament, the unranked Nayaka/Sukamuljo defied all odds to eliminate their two more favoured teammates, defending champion Angriawan/Saputro and Pratama/Suwardi at quarterfinal and semifinal respectively. They gained second wind and took momentum in deciding game against second seed despite trailed behind 10-17. A good result for Chinese juniors here, Han/Zhao to enter finale, they edged past Malaysian Chooi/Low in tight rubber games.

6. indrg

indrg Regular Member

Kevin is the true gem to be able to reach final with 1st time new partner, Nayaka. Amazing!

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Shi Yuqi has improved quite a bit.

8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Goodness me, 11-0 to SYQ.

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Huang Yuxaing asking for the doctor ?

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Right hip sprain? HYX conceded defeat.

11. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    Will he lose the ranking points for giving up vs player from the same country?

12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I supposed HYX's grueling matches with Prannoy and Wei Nan in previous rounds must have taken a toll on him.

#132 Justin L, Sep 10, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Goh Jin Wei is a fast mover.

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Well done, Busanan Ongbumrungpan, and congratulations. She actually outplayed Goh Jin Wei.

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Almost unbelievable this young CHN MD pair is in the finals.

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Just realized the CHN MD Han Chengkai/Zhou Haodong had won the AJC'16 title in July.

17. badMania

badMania Regular Member

What can I say about Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo....even when his regular partner is out injured, he can still manage to win a GPG title with Wahyu Nayaka (whose regular partner is Ade Yusuf). I guess this is just to give competition time to Kevin, whose last tourney was the Australia SS (that he won too with Markus Fernaldi Gideon). I don't even know if these 2 players will be paired up again for the European tourneys in October. If Markus Fernaldi can recover by then, I don't thin Wahyu Nayaka will get a chance.

He's indeed INA's most valuable asset in MD and I hope he has the right attitude to win the big titles now (All-England, World Championships, Asian Games, and culminating in the Tokyo Olympics 2020).

18. sen

sen Regular Member

The real MD final was yesterday semi final.
    The young Chinese MD is having a lucky draw to be in the final. They applied the right strategy, concentrating in attacking Wahyu and not giving Kevin many chance to play but still not good enough to win.

19. visor

visor Regular Member

Agree. And I don't know why Suwardi and his partner didn't focus more on Nakaya in SF yesterday... they would've done better.

20. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Almost all finals were anticlimax except WD, Korean ladies gained momentum at end of each game despite trailed behind in both two games. Shi Yuqi only spent 23 minutes to nail his maiden GP Gold title as his teammate didn't play normally, injury problem. Busanan played so aggressive to pour jumping smashes, controlled whole match, Goh seemed tired and couldn't develop her game plan.

Indonesia took two titles, similar achievement with 2011 & 2012 edition. Kevin Sanjaya grabbed fourth title in this year so far, 2 Superseries (IND & AUS Open) and 2 GP Gold (MAS & INA Masters), this talented young man will be INA future number one pair.