Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. indrg

indrg Regular Member

2. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Kerajaan Negeri sumbang insentif berbentuk kewangan RM150,000 untuk Chong Wei, Peng Soon (RM100,000) & Liu Ying (RM25,000), Terima kasih & Syabas!

Penang state government rewards LCW with RM150k, CPS with RM100k, GLY with RM25k.
    Note that GLY gets less cos she is not from Penang state. She gets RM25k due to her home state Melaka decided to reward CPS with RM25k( political one upmanship thingy, suffice to say)

#12562 eaglehelang, Sep 1, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  3. eaglehelang

KUALA LUMPUR: National shuttler Datuk Lee Chong Wei received a condominium worth RM1.5mil as a reward for his silver medal effort at the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.

Lee received the mock keys to the unit from Orando Holdings Sdn Bhd managing director Datuk Eng Wei Chun at a ceremony on Friday.

The 1,100sq ft, three-bedroom unit at the planned Lavile exclusive condominium in Taman Maluri, Cheras will face the Kuala Lumpur City Centre and come fully furnished.

Minister in Prime Minister's Department Datuk Seri Dr Wee Ka Siong, who witnessed the ceremony, praised Lee for uniting Malaysians of all races through his stellar performances in Brazil.

Present were Adviser on National Unity & Integration in the Prime Minister’s Department Datuk Heng Sai Kie and Star Media Group Bhd group managing director and chief executive officer Datuk Seri Wong Chun Wai.
    http://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2016/09/02/chong-wei-receives-condominium-worth-rm1_5mil/

It's the same condo. This is the ceremony, earlier was announcement by CEO

#12563 eaglehelang, Sep 2, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  4. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

5. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

6. renbo

renbo Regular Member

After watching the replay of the OG final (I could not see it live) I found that LCW did not miss much physically. He could not out-speed CL, which he used to do sometimes in the past (but not all the time), but I found his shortcoming in net play more important, as his relatively week drop shot from the back. It was slow, not really deep, and without strong disguise. Overall his deceptions are not up to par and rarely he made CL doubt.
    Those techniques he could enhance I believe. They used to be better then that (except for the deception, never his forte).

7. Nine Tailed Fox

Lee Chong Wei had huge momentum in the first set but let it go away.

There was a window of oppurtunity in the second set too but he was mostly playing catchup. I was disappointed with his final smash on the match point, I thought he had caught Chen Long out of position and just needed to place it comfortably close to the line. No wonder Chen Long was so relieved that Chong Wei missed that smash otherwise at 19-20, anything and most probably LCW forcing the deuce could have happened.

Some Comical Judgement by LCW would have surely left many of his fans 'Shaking their Head'. I just giggled a bit on those errors :D

8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Like I said, that final point, LCW was forced to go for the lines as Chen Long was returning everything, often with interest, hence the likelihood of error is higher. If the shuttle was within the sideline, who knows Chen Long could've got it back either forcing LCW to scramble for it with a lift which might allow Chen Long to go on the attack or a net where Chen Long might have pounce on it. All this is speculation, what-ifs.

But , with one game in the bag and Chen Long on top of his game, coupled with his superior fitness, I doubt LCW could survive the decider. Rio'16 was indeed Chen Long, The Dragon's, defining achievement, just as Beijing'08 was Lin Dan's.

9. Nonconvex

Nonconvex Regular Member

Chen Long certainly played very well, but LCW made a few mistakes - missed some kills - throughout the first game (and even in the second) that I thought cost him dearly. CL's excellent retrieval, the psychological effort from that epic semifinal, and the pressure of his own and Malaysia's expectations to win in his last Olympic final, probably made LCW just a little more vulnerable than usual (than, say, in the Asian Championships final).

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

No doubt some truth in what you said but, on the whole, I take LCW at his own words - he said he played very well but Chen Long played even better. At the BAC Final, Chen Long was a bit spent having played the full week before (CHN Masters Final vs Lin Dan) and a couple tournaments earlier unlike LCW who started fresh. I read that Chen Long himself expressed that he thought he could've won in two sets instead of losing that match in three as he was tired in the decider.

Anyway, all that is water under the bridge. At Rio'16 , Chen Long was awesome and in devastating form taking out all his opponents in style. It's indubitably the best I've seen Chen Long played, better than when he won the two WC crowns.

Another point to note on the ROG Gold Medal Match was Chen Long seizing the initiative and going on the offensive more often than not which now and then reduced LCW to passivity and forced to being reactive, remarkably something that Chen Long seldom could do in most of their encounters. Overall, Chen Long whether in attack, defense and counterattack was simply spot on, very sharp and forceful. I mean , some mistakes are inevitable when your opponent played so well as to put you under a lot of pressure.

#12570 Justin L, Sep 11, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  11. Nonconvex

Nonconvex Regular Member

I'm not sure I completely buy LCW's post-match comments - it sounds like the standard stuff sportspersons say after matches, whether they win or lose.

I actually thought CL played better in the WC '15 finals, and the scoreline stands testament to that as well. That said, I agree that LCW of WC '15 was not in the kind of form that he has been in this year. But CL did play extremely well all through the Olympics, and did seize the initiative quite a bit in the Olympics. He definitely deserved the gold medal.

I am just making the point that, watching the match again, I didn't think the difference between LCW and CL was that great, though, and this was the case especially in the first game. I definitely think we've seen LCW play better.

12. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    I second this, LCW buckled under pressure and did not play well at all. CL had all the answers, LCW just wasn't fast enough and not aggressive enough.

13. visor

visor Regular Member

Nah, LCW didn't buckle under pressure. He didn't even get to turn on his turbo after a tiring SF against LD. Now at London OG final, there he buckled under pressure.

14. Nine Tailed Fox

I also believe World Championships 2015 is the Highest Level of Chen Long. His Malaysia Open Performance after capturing All England was also extraordinary. Rio Olympics for me was his 2nd Best Performance overall in his career. He looked a bit threatened at times during the final when Chong Wei took 4-5 points consecutively. IMO his defence was much better, almost impossible, in the WC 15 Final.

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

IMHO, at WC'15, Chen Long's defense was amazing , better than his attack, and that's how he basically dented LCW's aggressive offense. At Rio'16, Chen Long's attack was superb, better than his defense, and that's how he denied LCW too many attacking chances and even forced him onto the defensive more often than not. How often do we see LCW being attacked repeatedly until he cracked as what sometimes happened in the Olympic gold medal match ?

In other words, at WC'15, Chen Long relied more on his defense to win whereas at Rio'16, it's more on his offense while his defense was still able to throw everything back and turned into attack at the earliest opportunity, thus making LCW looked less aggressive. Therefore, in my opinion, Chen Long played better in Rio than in Jakarta, and LCW knew it as otherwise he wouldn't say what he said at the post-match interview which sounded like a standard diplomatic and politically correct but honest answer to me.

I repeat, LCW was all the time setting up for the attack but with Chen Long returning the shots so well and often seizing the initiative,he's simply not allowed to be too aggressive as premature attack without constructing the rally is usually counterproductive, even suicidal at times. Bear in mind, LCW almost always cannot play aggressively against Lin Dan as he usually can against everyone else,virtually attacking at will, and I hasten to add, with the exception of Chen Long nowadays.Just my 2 cents.

16. -Berg

-Berg Regular Member

well said justin!

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I think you're mistaken, the sinchew.com.my Chinese article did not say he is getting old but that he is a veteran or old hand.

“每个球员参赛的目标肯定是冠军,没有人想输,但我会视自己的状态调整,虽然我年龄上升是老运动员了,但练了两周去日本赛,我觉得我还可以应付得来,就一场一场去面对对手,因为抽签出炉了,可以做好自己的心理准备。”

"...although my age is catching up and am a veteran, but after two weeks' training for the Japan Open, I feel I can still manage...."

Earlier, he was talking about having spent 26 days in Rio and the longer time needed to get over the jet lag upon returning home, he took about a week to adjust back his condition. He also mentioned the Japan SS is just another open tournament, his aim for the rest of the year is to qualify for the Dubai SSF which he missed the previous two years.

18. eaglehelang

National badminton players, coaches and support staff involved in the Rio Olympics received a total of RM1.4 million in incentives from Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) today in recognition of their efforts.

Men's singles silver medalist Datuk Lee Chong Wei received RM250,000 while mixed doubles duo Chan Peng Soon-Goh Liu Ying and men's doubles team Goh V Shem-Tan Wee Kiong, who had also taken silver in their events, took home RM375,000 per pair.

Their coaches Hendrawan, Tey Seu Bock, Jeremy Gan and Chin Eei Hui also received RM30,000 each.

Fellow national coaches Wong Tat Meng, Ronny Agustinus, Wong Pei Ty, Pang Cheh Chang and Lim Pek Siah, technical director Morten Frost, players Iskandar Zulkarnain and Tan Kian Meng, who both sparred with the Rio squad prior to the games, Sandra Fiedler, Fadzlil Mohd Salleh (both physiotherapists), Rebecca Wong (psychologist), Li Dazhi (masseur) and Jerry Gan (analyst) were also rewarded undisclosed amounts.

BAM acting president Tan Sri Al Amin Abdul Majid officiated the incentive presentation at the Juara Stadium in Bukit Kiara. Also present was deputy president Datuk Seri Norza Zakaria.

http://www.nst.com.my/news/2016/09/173805/...ed-rio-olympics

19. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Should not the money given be equal to all silver medallists?
    Also, amount seems to me very less for coaches.
    It is very less compared to the players of india.
    Sindhu got nearly RM 10000000 plus many flats worth RM 300000 and BMW car and customised off road SUV etc etc.
    LCW deserves more than this and so other silver medallists from Malaysia. Especially the MD pair was really fantastic . Hope the gov't will take care of them.

20. indrg

indrg Regular Member

The money has dried up and been misappropriated to corrupt politicians bank account in MAS.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk