Chan Peng Soon & Goh Liu Ying

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by pajrul, Dec 5, 2010.

1. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

1:22:40 AFTER OG interview
    Fully prepared on OG. Discuss with coach.
    Ong JG , what comments he gave you this OG? This whole year during OG preparation, Ong & me saw each other less. We contact thru phone. But OG he watched every match.

Comments of fans?
    After finals, saw some comments - we played badly,etc. THen I saw others commented that silver is already make history.

2. eaglehelang

Penang state government rewards LCW with RM150k,
    CPS with RM100k, GLY with RM25k.

Note that GLY gets less cos she is not from Penang state. She gets RM25k due to her home state Melaka decided to reward CPS with RM25k. Melaka state Chief Minister commented that CPS's RM100k should be shared equally between CPS and GLY since Melaka reward both CPS and GLY.
    Penang Chief Minister responded by giving an additional RM25k to GLY, like gift exchange or angpau giving, you give to mine, I give yours same amount. In the original annoucement, there was no plan to give to GLY.

Any Malaysian reading between the lines knows the butthurt-ness,haha.

Under standard practice the state only rewards athletes from that state. For instance when KKK/TBH won Asian Games 2006, their state only reward one person, not the partner. Up to each state to give rewards, federal government rewards is different from state.

#562 eaglehelang, Sep 1, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
    mafan likes this.
  3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Penang is economically stronger than Melaka

4. eaglehelang

Hahaha, first reaction of many Msians reading Melaka CM statement abt giving both CPS, GLY is 'Dont have enuf money to give as much as Penang, just quietly give. Want to challenge some more, now everybody knows '

But yeah, Penang is economically richer than Melaka.

5. eaglehelang

http://www.bharian.com.my/node/189114
    In addition to RM25k cash money, Melaka state govements gives GLY a plot of land between 464 to 969 square meters in Semujuk, Jasin or Durian Tunggal, Alor Gajah. The land is normally allocated to govenrment/civil servants. Chief Minister said GLY can apply for the land build a house on the land if she wants.

GLY gave an autographed racket to Melaka Chief Minister(the guy on the right with songkok)

Other pic:
    http://www.hmetro.com.my/node/163697
    Melaka CM looking at GLY's silver medal

Note : Both are rural areas. I suppose GLY can build a baddy court and train future national players.
    I dont understand the part that states she still needs "to pay the premium"

6. eaglehelang

7. eaglehelang

From chinese media, GLY with Melaka CM
    CM asks how her knee feels, still pain when playing. She said ok but weird, the pain sometimes left side,sometimes right side.
    CM asks was it painful during Olympic matches. GLY said yeah, right knee swelling. She does pysio for faster recovery.

Melaka CM will request for GLY to be conferred VJN. This is not a Dato title though.

8. notimax

notimax Regular Member

how about CPS, no dato title for him?

9. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Prolly no connection lah...mana ada Dato:D

10. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    There is a Chinese newspaper article featuring CPS a few days ago.
    CPS's father is a painter (those that paint your house, not those that draw) and they are not from well to do family. He stays in Johor but works in Singapore. CPS was in Penang.
    CPS was also good in basketball but his father asked him to pick badminton as the returns are better.
    When CPS joined the initial national set up, there were no allowance and he survive with roti prata and nasi lemak. Roti prata was RM0.60 per piece and he had 3 pieces. Roti prata is more filling than nasi lemak.
    Later he was paid an allowance of RM500.00 per month.
    CPS is looking for a house but property prices in Peanag are very high.

Tough life being a badminton player. He is left with 2 to 3 years of badminton..and then what?

#570 nokh88, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  11. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Coaching ?

12. mafan

mafan Regular Member

CCO of BAM (Chief Critic Officer) :)
    Too bad no company stepped forward to present CPS and GLY each a house. The other three badminton Olympic medalists each received homes.

13. mafan

mafan Regular Member

CCO of BAM (Chief Critic Officer) :)
    You're right. I was not too familiar with Daikin so I googled it and they're big. A multinational company. Would have been a nicer gesture and a greater show of appreciation if it had given CPS/GLY each a house too to go along with the air-conditioners. I understand that GVS/TWK's sponsor rewarded them with houses. Perhaps CPS/GLY should renegotiate their contract as their market value went up when they won the silver medal. If not, at least seek better terms when it comes time for renewal.

Sorry folks, I know I keep harping about houses for CPS/GLY. I just want to see all medalists well rewarded so that they do not have to worry about their future after their playing days are over. They all have sacrificed a lot to play for the country with no assurances that their rice bowls will be filled after badminton.

Cheung likes this.
  14. eaglehelang

https://www.facebook.com/Ntv7HuanQiuTouShiGlobalWatch/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE&fref=nf
    Interview with GLY in Mandarin 6 Sept. NTV7 is Msia tv station, mostly chinese shows

Q: This is best result for Msia XD. Do you think this is your highest pinacle or will there be other breakthru?
    GLY : This is my biggest breakthru. Future will have more breakthru
    During OG training, CPS & I experience many things. We hope can use this attitude and experiences to face future tournaments

Q: Many people comment on the weaknesses, many have not seen what you been thru to get this level. Like for yourself, going thru surgery
    GLY : When I went thru surgery(2014), I not sure my future. Whether I could I can go back on court or court, not sure. I told CPS, if you partner LPJ is good, continue partner her, dont wait for me.
    That time every month we have tournaments, sometimes 1 month I'm only in Msia 1 week. Little time for training. (have to chase OG points?) Yes.
    Sometimes my leg swell, have to rest to recover. CPS have to train by himself.

Q: After OG, now what is your view abt retiring?
    GLY : Look at condition of my leg. If I can, I will continue play.

Q Now recover after surgery how much?
    GLY : 80% to 90%

Q: Modelling experience
    GLY: Took the course. But not really go into it. That was during I recovering from surgery. I want a different career than coaching after retirement, this is one possible route.

Part 2:
    Q: You feel now more pressure as OG silver medalist or no pressure
    Heart cannot be too pressured. I should be thinking this sliver medalist mentality, restart.

Q: Athlete in pressure
    Doubles we need a lot of communication. We and coach sometimes also have communication a bit problem. Example : I'm in pain, I dont want to effect them, so I say I'm ok. But this will effect training

Q: Mental strength nowadays how? Have sports psychologists?
    Yes. Before OG there's sports psychologists. (After OG?) Not so much. Maybe cos the sports psychologist have many sportsperson to see.

Q: Are there situations you just dont care abt outward appearance? If appearance important to you?
    I dont put that much importance on beauty. If I'm very tired, just dont bother, fall asleep.
    But as athlete I think need to respect ourself and the audience, so I try to look better

Q: Message to audience
    GLY : Thanks to all fans for being supportive thru all my ups and downs

#574 eaglehelang, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    Cheung likes this.
  15. eaglehelang

National badminton players, coaches and support staff involved in the Rio Olympics received a total of RM1.4 million in incentives from Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) today in recognition of their efforts.

Men's singles silver medalist Datuk Lee Chong Wei received RM250,000 while mixed doubles duo Chan Peng Soon-Goh Liu Ying and men's doubles team Goh V Shem-Tan Wee Kiong, who had also taken silver in their events, took home RM375,000 per pair.

Their coaches Hendrawan, Tey Seu Bock, Jeremy Gan and Chin Eei Hui also received RM30,000 each.

Fellow national coaches Wong Tat Meng, Ronny Agustinus, Wong Pei Ty, Pang Cheh Chang and Lim Pek Siah, technical director Morten Frost, players Iskandar Zulkarnain and Tan Kian Meng, who both sparred with the Rio squad prior to the games, Sandra Fiedler, Fadzlil Mohd Salleh (both physiotherapists), Rebecca Wong (psychologist), Li Dazhi (masseur) and Jerry Gan (analyst) were also rewarded undisclosed amounts.

BAM acting president Tan Sri Al Amin Abdul Majid officiated the incentive presentation at the Juara Stadium in Bukit Kiara. Also present was deputy president Datuk Seri Norza Zakaria.

http://www.nst.com.my/news/2016/09/173805/...ed-rio-olympics

16. bayanbaru

bayanbaru Regular Member

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Significant comment!

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I was thinking about this for a while.

A lot will go into coaching as it is the only thing they have done in their lives. However, I think they can do a lot more on networking and increasing their value. For instance, they go around the world in tournaments. They can search up some local clubs and increase their exposure and net worth. To be honest, a player can look into this as a type of investment for the future. The more people you know and are exposed to, the greater there are of potential chances for future engagements. Me, as an independent person wanting to search for a player or ex-player, would tend to look for people who I know seems friendly and approachable in the first instance. How would I find them? Usually through some connections.

I know some players are more concerned about getting appearance money but sometimes a person has to use different methods to increase their own marketability.
    If you have some free time during a tournament, why not go out and explore some opportunities? Later, when demand is higher, you have an edge. One cannot just depend on badminton tournament results to make your name - that privilage only belongs to a small group of people.

19. Espírito Santo

Espírito Santo Regular Member

Terrorist

Two main reasons:

1. Goh Liu Ying is achieving more than her ex-bf Ong Jian Guo.

2. When a relationship had carried on for more than 8 years without further progress to next stage, that is long enough for a girl to wait for his proposal as she is in her late 20's.

Cheung, pcll99 and visor like this.
  20. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee