2016 Rio Olympic Games : Day-9 (19th August) - WS & MD Gold Medal, WS Bronze Medal, MS Semifinals

Discussion in 'Olympics 2016 - RIO' started by CLELY, Aug 18, 2016.

1. vinaries

vinaries Regular Member

Totally agreed...joker is forever joker...talking BS

virusvoodoo likes this.
  2. nizze

nizze Regular Member

He must be disappointed. Three consecutive Olympics participation but no gold.

3. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

if they don't select ZYL/TQI, then they left with no other options than Luo twins, the next pair in the top 8. correct me if i'm wrong.

4. indrg

indrg Regular Member

I wonder which LD will come out tomorrow. Is he motivated to win a bronze or not?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

5. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

ya, but not easy when you see one another almost everyday, travel together to oversea competitions, have the same passion and love for the game.

6. indrg

indrg Regular Member

At least they shouldn't have been paired up in the 1st place. Anyway, it has been a great ride. ZYL is famous due to their tremendous success together.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

7. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    I don't know if you translated correctly but they BROKE UP not DIVORCED. They were never married and the link posted wrote "broke up" in Chinese.

8. virusvoodoo

virusvoodoo Regular Member

court mopper
    Although I do not like Carolina Marin for her on-court antics (infact I was cheering for her opponents), I must give her credits. She played exceptionally well throughout.

Both Marin and Sindhu were playing some of their best badminton but Marin had an edge in stamina, focus, and mental strength. She reminds me of a certain 2-time Olympic champion. My two favorites WS players (RI & TTY) please take note and work harder so you can medal in Tokyo 2020.

Last thing, some fans are really sour grapes and they need to grow up and acknowledge accomplishments of these players instead of giving excuses (eg. bad h2h, easy draw/opponents). Even when LCW overcomes all odds and beat his nemesis, they say LD wasn't trying his best. What a pathetic excuse! Everyone knows and can see he tried his best so stop kidding yourself!

#1808 virusvoodoo, Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
    Bohy, jma97, samkool and 1 other person like this.
  9. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Are they married already? I thought they were still dating.

10. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

Zhang Nan won the gold medal, but lost the person he loved...

11. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    I used to be very critical of Fu Haifeng. Back in the day before 2008, he was purely a smashing machine with hardly any defence. I even wondered how he got to win his first World title in 2006.

But since Zhang Jun came into the picture as coach, Fu's defense has improved a lot, and now he has the best men's doubles record in Olympic history.

Kudos to a great man .....!!!!

12. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

all the while the China coaches are from the former world champions and Olympic champions, that's why China badminton are improving, especially the men's double department...

13. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Yes, Carolina Marin was very consistent in huge events over 3 straight years. In 2014, she won her first World title playing with an injury. I am made to understand that she really uses a sports psychologist (sitting besides the coach) to help in matches. It's probably the psychologist that turned her into a Banshee to make her let go of additional pressure. A gifted and brilliant Banshee, nonetheless.

May Spain have more world class players after this ......

14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Sorry I don't buy your view, and those of others, that "if he (LD) really wanted it he would have won it". This is blind adoration of a fanatic who will always emerge with all sorts of excuses why their idol failed. We have plentiful examples of such perverted views in these columns. Athletes work extremely hard and make tremendous sacrifices to earn the opportunity to return every year to the most glamorous Olympic stage to prove themselves that they are the best. They should not be there otherwise.

In the long LD-LCW saga, the fierce rilvary had continued for many Olympics until the current Rio, where LCW claimed superiority for having been better prepared, especially in mental strength, which was sorely lacking previously. Therefore he richly deserved victory. LD just could not claim the third Olympic gold medal which he wanted badly and be proclaimed "the GOAT", as some of his fans have prematurely done so many a time.

The better man is obviously LCW who silently withstood all sorts of criticism but continued his resolve to beat his hitherto nemesis even at his late age. Bad dreams no more for LCW.

Who is LD? A spoilt brat who even threw punches at his coach, a former Olympic gold medalist who preceded himself, and showed his anger and tantrums on court when things didn't go his way. His bad behavior will forever be recorded in history no matter how much his fans adored him and tried to cover his misdeeds.

So your view that LD would have won had he really wanted it is pure bunkum and a fickle of the imagination only a fanatic of LD can think of.

jma97, vinaries and nokh88 like this.
  15. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    LD from immortal to mortal. ;)

Loh likes this.
  16. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Whatever goes up, must come down.

17. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

let's stop all the arguing. we should be happy to witness the numerous exciting and memorable matches between LD and LCW.

here's an article from the china badminton forum.

http://www.badmintoncn.com/view-18557-1.html

Attached Files:

nizze likes this.
  18. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    yes, and no.

your federation owns your rights for as long as you're a citizen of your home country... even if you are no longer on the team (momota, kkk, taufik, etc.). you need their permission to play in any bwf sanctioned tournament, whether you're playing singles or pairing up with someone else from another country. you see cross country pairing all the time in gp & int'l challenge tournaments, and in gpg on rare occasion.

do you think cba or kba would let lyd & fhf team up and beat their old team in a major tourney? no. ****ing. way! they would be a major threat to win. whereas, for example, players like lee hyun-il (kor) has kba's permission to play as an independent because a) he's not a threat on the ss circuit, and b) korea has no ms players of significance.

ya, bwf rules are ****ed up. don't ask me to explain why because i don't make the rules. however, i had to enforce them recently.

#1818 samkool, Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
  19. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    i wonder where he's immigrating to?

relax, i'm just speculating. curious if he's following the path of kim dong-moon. lyd is at that age where he's got to think about the rest/next stage of his life.

20. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    i agree. i think fhf is one of the most improved md players since london 2012, and top 3 most reliable md players, w/ lyd & setiawan.

fhf/zn lives and dies depending how zn played that day.
    ahsan/setiawan lives and dies depending how ahsan played that day.
    lyd/yys lives and dies depending how yys played that day.

azorjon and virusvoodoo like this.