2016 Rio Olympic Games : Day-9 (19th August) - WS & MD Gold Medal, WS Bronze Medal, MS Semifinals

Discussion in 'Olympics 2016 - RIO' started by CLELY, Aug 18, 2016.

1. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Someone said it was like China was losing on purpose. I kinda agree.

Who in their right mind would choose the Luo twins over the reigning Olympic and World Champions, ZYL/TQ!?!?

Having Chen Jin at the helm of WS was another epic stupidity!

2. jonaliang

jonaliang New Member

What a good day of badminton. LCW vs LD was the highlight. Carolina not my fave but I gotta admit she fully deserved it. Played very well this Olympics. Hope LXR gets well soon.

Pity Goh/Tan couldn't get the Gold for Malaysia. I didn't really expect them to win though. IMO, TWK was the player of the match, but Goh made a lot of (mental) errors in key moments. I like Fu though, so I'm happy he defended his Gold medal.

Looking forward to the two MS matches tomorrow. Hope LCW wins but CL was on fire today!

Black Tiger and kwun like this.
  3. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Agree...LD still playing after London, is for 1 very simple reason...not WC, not SSP, not anything but a 3rd OLY gold. He wanted this gold badly and credit to LCW to come back after losing the 1 set and not crumbled.

4. highmountain

highmountain Regular Member

I kinda of agree also. They probably messed it up on purpose to give the game popularity and higher profile for the Olympics. can't imagine what will happen if they won all again. but now their fans are demanding answers for the poor results.

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    their job, paycheck, and heads are on the line here. nobody loses on purpose...

Black Tiger and pjswift like this.
  6. yamsyams

yamsyams Regular Member

Rumor on the Chinese boards is that ZYL opted out of the WD to focus on XD, and the coaches didn't really have a choice but to send the twins

7. charleslim

charleslim Regular Member

Dream Job
    In that case, I rather they (whoever you think they are) do a better job and just lose the MD game. Wouldn't that be EVEN BETTER for future Olympics and the badminton community?

8. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Exactly, agree....if CHN chooses to lose, it would be GP, SS or even SSP, definitely not OLY as it is national pride, not individualglory

9. nizze

nizze Regular Member

Logically WDs would be a better choice. ZN is playing in the MD. Participating in 2 disciplines at olympic level will take a toll on his physical state

10. yamsyams

yamsyams Regular Member

But then again we saw the partnership (or lack thereof) between ZYL and TQ in recent months. That probably affected her decision in a major way.

And before the Olympics started I would have thought ZNZYL in XD was a surer gold than TQZYL in WD

11. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Congratulations to FHF in particular for his 2nd MD Gold! For Malaysia, no surprise there. Even if they were 20-0 up with 20 match points, they would still find a way "not to win Gold". Looks like my time in the forum remains!

However, looks like the account (Nine Tailed Fox) dedicated to LD's 3rd Gold (over the last 1-2 years at least) is over. Hard luck.

12. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Carolina Marin has now won everything that matters in the last 3 years. And doing it in arguably the strongest era ever? Incredible. In my eyes, she's already the WS GOAT, but it's scary to think she is only 23 years old. Still another 1-2 Olympics to go, and a handful of World Champs for the taking. Who would count her out?

13. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

Some theorys here made by some fanboys are ridiculous... Calm down, breathe and come down to the earth. wtf...
    We all do share the same passion, but some seem to overreact more than a little bit.

back to topic: any HD videos available from the SF MS?

Black Tiger and FeatherBlaster like this.
  14. nizze

nizze Regular Member

If ZN is playing XD only, their chances will be better. But with him, MD the odds are lowered.

15. super-g

super-g Regular Member

The fact is that Marin is ranked number 1 in the world and has won the most important competition each year during last 3 years. That is 2 world championships and now olympic gold. That shows consistency and olympic gold medal was almost expected considering results during last 3 years. Surely there are some unexpected losses as well but clearly she delivers when it really matters.

16. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

17. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    bwahahahahaha!

18. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

19. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

I think some people are "blinded" by their irritation/dislike of her. However, playing down her achievements is bordering on insulting hehe. It's sort of like in tennis - I don't "like" Djokovic and Nadal for similar reasons, but I know they are all time greats (with Djokovic likely finishing his career as clearly the GOAT).

What Marin has achieved is arguably the greatest in sporting history. It's sort of like if China beat the All Blacks in Rugby World Cup, not just once, but three times (and beat big time Rugby nations like Australia and South Africa along the way to winning the World Cup). How can a country with no depth in Rugby beat a nation with 100 years of depth? Carolina Marin is an anomaly. I don't think the world/media appreciates what she's achieved, but that's probably because no one actually cares about badminton on the world stage.

Bohy, badMania, jma97 and 2 others like this.
  20. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Yes mate, I'm downloading it now too.