2016 Rio Olympic Games : Day-8 (18th August) - WD Gold Medal, WD &MD Bronze Medal, WS Semifinals

Discussion in 'Olympics 2016 - RIO' started by CLELY, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

This is sports, not politics. And the whole incident was shown on national TV, what's there to hide ?

2. indrg

indrg Regular Member

Is it a fiction? YY did not say the quote about the Luo twins.

3. Koyori

Koyori Regular Member

I am surprised that Tian Qing and zhao Yunlei didn't play for WD, they did make a great pair. For the mixed double Zhao Yunlei and Zhang Nan can't perform well is because Zhang Nan also played for the men double. Zhang Nan played 2 matches in a day. If given Zhang Nan more time to rest, they would perform better.

4. indrg

indrg Regular Member

5. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

Usually, easing up/ throwing the 2nd game would have been a good idea if only to allow yourself to recover after winning a gruelling 1st game

But in these circumstances, it allowed Matsutomo to get her confidence and her game back-- so it might have been better if the Danes fought tooth and nail in the 2nd game like Sindhu did against Okuhara, so that Japanese didn't have a chance to get into her stride.

6. KB@TB Em

KB@TB Em Regular Member

student
    Then you forget that it needs to pairs to get that result!!
    There was no fire in chn wd, esp yy was a shame (no idea what her problem was).
    Ofc combined with great play by Shin/Jung!
    Reminded me of the mx bronze match in London ;)

7. Koyori

Koyori Regular Member

The danes make the right move to recover from 1st game but they didn't make the Japanese lose more energy in the 2nd game and give away point easily. The Japanese have the mental strength and the nerve even if the cheering is louder for the Denmark side.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    interesting points.

I think it wouldn't have mattered. JPN girls are playing well starting from the 2nd half of the 1st game already. my take would be they just took a little longer to settle into their own rhythm. in fact, if they had settled down earlier, they would've taken the first game. you can just look at Misaki, she had zero smile for first half of the first game, but later on it came back and she played less tensed and started playing her own game.

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

In that article, not sure if it's the official version, it's written by a blogger named wutiyin at badmintoncn.com.

The main points of interest to us:
    The coach TianBingyi said to Yu Yang:" The whole nation is watching live, such a big match, you should move once in a while." (YY has been standing still most of the time, not moving around much to cover the court - Justin). Yu Yang shot back:" I did move, ya!" and flung the towel down.

Tang Yuanting:" After the group stage, was running a slight fever for six days, affected my condition a little, caused the semifinal to suffer. Teammate Yu Yang has all along been positive, but since yesterday night til today's match (bronze playoff), she communicated very little with me, we could only go through the coaches to discuss tactics. But I didn't expect that on court today why it's still like that. I felt that at this Olympic bronze playoff, she wasn't moving enough, her psychological condition in question."

10. SixSeven

SixSeven Regular Member

http://olympics.bwfbadminton.com/ shows LD/LCW match will be played first tomorrow, and the women's single match is cancelled.

There's no reason for Li Xuerui to play for the bronze anyway, since she already has the gold.

11. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    kwun likes this.
  12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    if indeed ACL is torn, she will be going back to China on crutches.

a free Bronze for Nozomi and a sad finish for Li Xuerui

13. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    Thanks

This is much better than the google translated "underwear"

rajat_remar likes this.
  14. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Its amazing how you can criticize a guy who is in the MD final and already won the XD bronze. More than any other player at these games, but it's a mistake, of course....
    The real atrocity is how no one seems to be able to coach their players against PVS, how she got into the Final is a complete mystery to me, having seen her match against Michelle Li.

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

You're welcome. I never use google translate, it produces mangled text, often senseless and hilarious.

17. super-g

super-g Regular Member

Bohy, vixter and melon94 like this.
  18. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Incredible results yet again. Very rare to see China losing all their matches in a single day! I will have to watch the replay of Marin-LXR, but it's no surprise. Marin is just too good - she would likely have been victorious regardless of any injury to her opponent. Skimming through the thread, nice to see other people appreciating her talent, especially her movement. She is one match away from being arguably the greatest WS player of all time. And she's only 23 years old! Likely be a tough fight against PVS though, who has be on absolute fire in these Olympics. Feel a bit sad for Okuhara, but I'm sure she will appreciate her Bronze Medal.

Great Britain winning MD Bronze? Didn't see that one coming. Seems China is really choking in these badminton Olympics. It's okay - injured, tired, no motivation, complacency, saving for Tokyo, etc I guess. I'm sure we won't see such excuses when they win the MS and MD Gold though hehe.

And congratulations to Japan WD! Well deserved. They have been consistent for many years, going toe to toe with China along the way. Nice to see the hard work being paid off with the biggest prize of them all! Their first major title?

azorjon likes this.
  19. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

One point in the whole match that is the umpire's task of spotting and you get your panties tied in a bunch already? Clearly not suited for professional sports :rolleyes: (do you see the players let themselves get upset by it? Just weak minded if these things let you get you out of your concentration)
    How many players call for the shuttle to be out when it looks like it's 50-50?
    With all the bad karma somehow they ended up with a 19-16 lead (I seriously don't know how that happened as they never took the initiative o_O; and in that sense Japan deserved it more in the end but still in essence they threw the gold away)
    The way the Danes were smiling throughout the third set would almost have you believe they were happy to just have made it to the final so the disbelieve (from Pedersen) after the final point was still somewhat of a surprise to me. And some more selective writing in these last few pages would have you believe Pedersen was a bish at the handshake for not hugging their opponent (since when has this become custommary??) rather she gave a polite handshake and said 'good match' whilst still being in disbelieve ...

#959 demolidor, Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
    azorjon and vixter like this.
  20. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

Yeah... By all my antipathy we - me included - have for Marin, stop spamming around how much you hate her. It won't make it better.

If it's really the case I feel so sad for LXR to hear she teared her ACL :( She should fly over to Switzerland or Germany and let them do the surgery I received here in Switzerland, which is probably still unknown over there(?) For those who are interested: http://ligamys.com/en/home/patient/start.html

This kind of ACL surgery has the advantage that you will still have the original ACL after the surgery, which means you don't have a foreign part in your knee made out of plastic or another body part.