Predictions for GOLDs

Discussion in 'Olympics 2016 - RIO' started by AlanY, Aug 16, 2016.

1. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

Let's start with the doubles

MD - CHN
    WD - JPN
    XD - INA

2. lee00

lee00 Regular Member

No golds for MAS ?

3. R4yZ0r

R4yZ0r Regular Member

Student
    Lee Chong Wei :cool::cool:
    Tho I have a feeling Goh and Tan may cause an upset

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    MD - too close to call!
    WD - JPN
    XD - INA

5. lee00

lee00 Regular Member

I predict MAS get 3.
    My big brother LEE CW will get one for almost sure.

6. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

And the singles

MS - CHN (CL)
    WS - CHN (WYH)

7. R4yZ0r

R4yZ0r Regular Member

Student
    MS - Lee Chong Wei [1] (MAS)
    WS - Wang Yihan [2] (CHN)
    MD - Zhang Nan/Fu Haifeng [4] (CHN)
    WD - Misaki Matsutomo/Ayaka Takahashi [1] (JPN)
    XD - Tontowi Ahmad/Liliyana Natsir [3] (INA)

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    actually, prediction have two types.

prediction from reasoning, and prediction from the heart.

perhaps we need to be honest to ourselves and say which one is which. :)

s3160717 and R4yZ0r like this.
  9. lee00

lee00 Regular Member

I have given my predictions ages ago in another thread. sighs.
    Ok. My new predictions:
    MS LD
    WS LXR
    WD Misaki/Ayaka
    MD Fu/Zhang
    XD Ahmad/Natsir

pcll99 likes this.
  10. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

My predictions:

MS
    - Chen Long
    WS - Carolina Marin
    MD - Zhang Nan/Fu Haifeng
    WD - Misaki Matsutomo/Ayaka Takahashi
    XD - Tontowi Ahmad/Liliyana Natsir

11. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    i want to see gold from:

xd - goh liu ying/chan peng soon
    md - goh v shem/tan wee kiong
    wd - matsutomo/takahashi
    ms - 1st choice lin dan. 2nd choice lee chong-wei. 3rd choice viktor axelsen
    ws - 1st choice okuhara. 2nd choice pv sindhu. 3rd choice anybody not named carolina marin :D

nilesh123 likes this.
  12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i posted this in the main thread, but i think good entertainment to post here as well:

for Malaysia chances...

MS, it is still up in the air, and no difference in analysis today vs a few weeks ago. we know LCW will likely meet LD in semi, and CL in final. it really depends on how the matches before that turns out.

XD, the h2h is 7-1 in favor of Natsir/Ahmad. the last one won by Chan/Goh was 2012. with N/A winning twice in the past year, including once in Malaysia homeground. it is not looking very hopeful for Chan/Goh. but this is Olympics, strange things happens in Olympics and esp we know that Malaysian players have strange powers during big matches like Thomas Cup and Olympics. it is as if they have been saving up their mental energy and then releasing them in the big occasions. so Chan/Goh will have to play the best performance of their life in order to better Natsir/Ahmad this time.

MD, total toss up IMHO. Goh (another Goh) / Tan were on fire and played like they were possessed during the semi. Honestly I don't know how many pairs can beat them in that form. but at the same time, we also have to remember how Fu/Zhang flirted death and was dragged miles in hell's lava and burned half charcoal but still managed to win in the QF against Kim/Kim in one of the best comeback in Olympics badminton history. I only see 2 potential opposite outcomes. In either case, I predict Goh/Tan to come out blazing and destroying Fu/Zhang in the first game. It will all depends on how Fu/Zhang play in 2nd, if they do another Kim/Kim, then I forsee Goh/Tan destroyed mentally and Fu/Zhang will take it in narrow margin; or, if Fu/Zhang don't have their game together, then Goh/Tan will wipe the floor with them and bring home Malaysia's first gold, and be forever famous ever after with their Datukship, and land, and Riggit in millions. and then like everyone of them badminton stars who exploded into fame from mediocrity (like Hafiz, KKK/TBH, Ji Xinpeng), will have partied so much after winning big and forgot how to play badminton, and be mediocore ever after.

there was my analysis and prediction.

13. visor

visor Regular Member

XD, it's gonna be tough for Chan/Goh if Ahmad/Natsir keeps playing as they did in the SF game domination against ZZ. Still silver is an excellent unexpected achievement. Gold would only come if INA pair makes more mistakes.

MD, Goh/Tan seems to be very disciplined and determined in their OG play. Haven't ever seen them this clinical and focused. I would give them the edge to gold if they can concentrate their attack on Fu and force some errors. Gonna be an exciting match! MAS boleh!

MS, we'll see even if LCW can pass LD in the SF in the next few days. Perhaps the achievements of his comrades in MD and XD will lighten his load and embolden him to let all hell break loose.

MAS boleh, boleh, boleh!

#13 visor, Aug 16, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  14. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    I expect the XD final results would depend not so much on Goh Liu Ying or Lilyana Natsir (both in excellent form with Natsir being slightly better in-court mobility and significantly better in Finals experience), but on the performance of Chan Peng Soon vis-a-vis Tontowi Ahmad. Based on current form, however, it seems that Tontowi Ahmad is about two steps above Chan, who is still hampered by his lack of service confidence. Thus Indonesians will start as heavy favourites for the title, which comes with extra pressure of expectations, but so far they did great in the semifinal when Indonesia was in danger of not having a finalist at all. This is good enough for my vote to go to an Indonesian victory.

Not being high performance sporting nations, pressure to both mixed pairs are being applied from the burden of expectations of two nations - with official comments from both the Indonesian President and Malaysian Prime Minister on their hopes and expectations. In the case of the Malaysian XD pair, they had significantly over-achieved already and the firebrand Malaysian Media should be more forgiving if the final goes the other way. Indonesian XD pair, however, would have the added incentive AND pressure of playing on their Independence Day and getting the right results, as this is the only chance for Indonesian glory in Rio.

To all Indonesian forummers, Happy Independence Day and let's enjoy a great first Olympic Final tonight.

undeadshot, limsy, Mate and 1 other person like this.
  15. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    Thank you so much! Likewise to Malaysian, may the best win and let's enjoy the game tonight. :)

16. xsakurax

xsakurax Regular Member

XD Ahmad/Natsir has performed so well by winning all their games in straight set. If Mas can hold their nerves, then they may give a good fight like in Mas Open. Ahmad/Natsir has the edge over Mas based on their past encounter.

upload_2016-8-17_8-52-47.png

MD Fu/Zhang will go all out to win a gold medal for china after Zhang disastrous exit in the XD double. Tan/Goh will have a chance if they switch on their attacking mode and reduce their errors. They should not lose focus like in game 2 in the semi against Chai/Hong. China will have enough materials to come out for game plan against Mas. Goh/Tan need to do their homework and prepare a back up plan against Fu/Zhang in case their plan A does not work. Please do not celebrate too early :rolleyes::rolleyes: Fu/Zhang comeback against the Korean show how strong their mental strength and fighting spirit.The team who is able to perform under pressure and control their nerves will win this match. Fu/Zhang has a slight advantage over Tan/Goh.

Nothing is impossible in Olympics. All the best to Mas team who manage to enter the Olympics final. Who has ever imagined that Chan who always got problem with his serve managed to enter the final with Li Ying and Goh/Tan who have not performed in Super Series tournament managed to performed consistently well in Rio and create an upset against the seeded players:cool::cool:

Rio Olympics will be written in the Mas history's book as the best Olympics appearance especially in badminton regardless of the final outcomes.
    LCW has comrades to fight with him in chasing the 1st Gold Medal for Mas after being the sole survivor for the past 8 years in 2 Olympics. Can a miracle happen for Mas? Nothing is impossible if the players believe in themselves and fight like a warrior in the final. Malaysia Boleh;);)

Interesting fact: Both of MAS team will meet the same opponent in the group stage in the Final. MD won against their nemesis while XD was the opposite.

#16 xsakurax, Aug 16, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
    visor likes this.
  17. highmountain

highmountain Regular Member

son wan ho will go all the way and win gold.

18. Mate

Mate Regular Member

Thank you. Please, pray for TA/LN to get Gold Medal and I will pray for Goh/Tan and Dato LCW to get Gold Medal :p. Two Gold Medal would be enough, lah. We only expect one.

19. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    I am not predicting and commenting. Don't want to jinx my picks.

visor likes this.
  20. Espírito Santo

Espírito Santo Regular Member

Terrorist
    Prediction from the heart. :D

MS
    - Lee Chong Wei (MAS)
    WS - Li Xuerui (CHN)
    MD - Goh V-Shen/Tan Wee Kiong (MAS)
    WD - Misaki Matsutomo/Ayaka Takahashi (JPN)
    XD - Tontowi Ahmad/Liliyana Natsir (INA)

Malaysia 2 gold medals
    China 1 gold medal
    Japan 1 gold medal
    Indonesia 1 gold medal

well-son and renbo like this.