Chinese Badminton

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Justin L, Aug 31, 2013.

1. antssantss

antssantss Regular Member

Retired
    IMHO ZYL/TQ partnership has lost its bite since the london Olympics. They don't seem to enjoy playing together and it is obvious to see. They have achieved their best and are not hungry for gold anymore.
    But I agree that the Luo twins are not good enough for gold and the WD are up for grabs by any country in Rio. Its a pity as there are a number of young partnerships which could surprise the front runners.

blabl likes this.
  2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Traditionally, men's doubles is the weakest discipline for China. Besides Fu and Cai, I can't think of any outstanding China men' doubles (unlike Indonesia and Korea).

3. antssantss

Retired
    The juniors are improving and I think Zheng Siwei and Liu Kai/Li Junhui is interesting.. Also with some of the big smashes with a good net player may produce some good pairings.

4. Dangho

Dangho Regular Member

i think you're referring to liu yuchen rather than lu kai? lu kai is turning 25 so he can't be seen as a junior anymore

5. antssantss

Retired
    I was quite impressed when they played in the Thomas cup. In Doubles there have been good pairings with senior and juniors so 25 is quite ok.
    The combination between each other is very important for a good doubles pair.

6. blabl

blabl Regular Member

As the badminton event kicks off today all eyes will certainly be glued to the great China team players. In this edition of Olympics many eyes will be glued to the China team. Well with so many good and talented players in the China team, I am sure they will be able to bring back the gold medals for this Olympics 2016. Good luck and all the best to all the China players. :)

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I'm reposting the following view here as it's more appropriate for further discussion:

If Li Yongbo doesn't step down after Rio, things in CBA will remain more or less the same, only cosmetic changes at most, until Tokyo 2020.

I say this not because LYB is no good, no, he's been magnificent but just that he's been at the helm for too long, and since the London clean sweep, he's mellowed a lot,very much a changed man, no longer that demanding nor exacting but, instead, very accommodating, quite tolerant of failures and those not meeting his expectations for a long period of time, as if he's resting on his laurels.

As he's said before, he has become more concerned about leaving a lasting legacy than chasing purely for golds as he nears his retirement age.

The problem is the situation of Chinese badminton has deteriorated more and faster than we expected and, if the rot is not stopped soon enough, it will continue to get worse before it gets better. That's extremely worrisome.

volcom and kwun like this.
  8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

To be fair to Li Yongbo, he's much misunderstood, unfairly criticized and maligned here. Actually, he has his softer side but most of us only see his strong-willed character, outspokenness, arrogance, and his leadership capabilities and ability to get things done; otherwise, he won't unwittingly allow Chinese badminton to fall to such a sorry state four years after the unprecedented LOG'12 clean sweep.

Surprisingly, the last few years he's become less resulted-oriented but sort of more people-oriented, so unlike the first 15 years or so of his 23-year tenure as Head Coach (since 1993) when nothing less than gold or the world championship matters to him. Now , at age 53, born 18 September 1962, his marvellous achievements as Head Coach is second to none and well-documented. However, the last couple of years, he's less driven, no longer ambitious though he still sets his target on creating 100 world champions which by his definition includes both individual and team titles.

But all good things must come to an end, that's life. He has been around for far too long to be able to see things differently to actually recognize where the problem lies even when the rot has already set in before his eyes, sort of in denial, consoling himself that it's only a hiccup, a temporary or isolated incident, that it's a normal cyclical thing, the problem will go away in a matter of time. As he's become an integral part of the system he created in CBA, I'm afraid he can't see he is part of the problem, and as long as Team CHN continued to deliver albeit at a decreasing rate even his boss at the China Table Tennis and Badminton Center is willing to leave things be and give him the benefit of the doubt, taking into consideration all his past huge contributions.

The problem is it didn't get any better but continue to worsen year after year, beginning from 2013 WC, then declining further in 2014, the whole of 2015 being what he finally admitted was the worse year, but,no, it's not the bottom yet as 2016 , the Olympic year promises to be even more heart-aching as the most important event in the four-year cycle looks to be tanking - first , after the IOC/BWF new ruling limiting the max quota to 2 reps per category for each NOC was implemented, CHN WD, traditionally their strongest link,was hit by a self-inflicted crisis; second, XD, another of their strong discipline, partly owing to Zhang Nan doing double duty, flopped miserably at the semifinal stage;third, in MD, their supposed weakest link performed better than expected with one pair advancing to the final after surprisingly having two pairs at the semifinal stage; fourth, in WS, only Li Xuerui is left standing as WYH crashed out in the QFs; fifth, MS is the only category where their two aces are still on course to attain the ultimate goal. At this stage, I shan't go into further details as the final outcome is still unknown. Suffice to say, the overall picture looks unpleasant, if not grim, showing Team CHN practically under siege from all sides, a reverse from what it was in London 2012. So much has changed in just four years.

Last but not least, the question is what can Li Yongbo do when he himself is required to play the villain, grab the bull by the horns, take drastic action after an honest,deep, brutal, no-holds-barred analysis of the entire situation leaving no stone unturned, even if it means hurting the very people he helped groom and nurture over the years. The other question is how and is he willing to rock the boat. If not, then he has to go and hand the task over to someone else in the hope that new broom sweeps clean.

Cheung likes this.
  9. lee00

lee00 Regular Member

If CHN gets zero gold, he may be get kicked out but if pockets three, don't think he will. Don't forget he says he will create 100 world champs. Except CBA forces him to.

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Sorry,I'm reposting my view at the Olympic tournament thread here as appropriate:

CHN really needs new blood - Li Xuerui can't perform at the individual major tournaments, her mentality issue is too serious, no sport psychologist can help her except herself; Wang Yihan is too unpredictable, inconsistent, and getting old relatively speaking; and Wang Shixian lacks a killer weapon. The latter two are expected to retire soon.

The younger cohort has to step up to the plate as quickly as possible. It's a crisis situation.

11. Zhierl

Zhierl Regular Member

Congratz to CBA & LYB for their obsolete philosophy and policy!
    World is changed, but seems they not aware that. They still use their obsolete.
    3 years of slapped & alarm still not awaken them. London dreams is ultra enjoyable.
    May they continue sleep well for 5 years like my prediction 1 years ago.
    Welcome 90's, except this time not only for mens but for all category.

#571 Zhierl, Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  12. lee00

lee00 Regular Member

Let's start with fire some coaches? Eg. Chen Jin, Zheng Bo, and LYB.
    New blood, new era.

13. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Zheng Bo???o_O dunno and no see him anywhere in RIO:D

14. jak nam

jak nam Regular Member

last time i saw zheng bo, he was taking penalty shots against some kungfu man with nunchucks on a chinese variety show a few years ago. the rotund coach we often see on courtside is zhang jun.

15. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    I know...just teasing Lee O O

lee00 likes this.
  16. lee00

lee00 Regular Member

I meant Zhang Jun la dunno why I ever thought of Zheng Bo.

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

The rot continues. No more delay, no more excuses, no more in denial. High time for CBA to act and stop the rot. Fast. Four years come and go more quickly than you thought. It's not a long time when we talk about going to the root of the problem and taking drastic remedial actions which take time to monitor and produce results.

18. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    Well, let's see how MS and MD turn out.

If anything, this is a just a very rough reminder that China is no longer as dominant as they used to be. Europe is finally starting to show some serious competition and there is a resurgence in the south eastern asian countries.

I'm glad that there is a lot more variation in results this olympics. This really will give motivation for other countries that China IS BEATABLE. And for China, I'm sure they'll taking the pain of defeat and use it as motivation to redeem themselves next olympics.

19. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Can't believe I'm saying this but in the women's and mixed disciplines at least, the oppositions are beating the Chinese team on outright pace of the game. The women's game have moved closer to men's speeds. So younger talents need to be nurtured to take up the challenge.

So far I only see a step in the right direction for mixed doubles with Chen Qinqchen/Zheng Siwei or Li Yunhui/Zheng Siwei.

In women's singles, He Bingjiao shows promise but probably need better fitness. Chen Yufei and Sun Yu, not sure yet.

Other than that, haven't seen anything else that matters.

20. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    Tang Yuanting seemed pissed with Yu Yang with her lacklustre performance in the OG, she was crying during the interview and said something like "I do not know what's wrong with her today.....". If any of you watched the WD bronze match, during the interval at set 2, we can see YY throwing her tantrum at coach Tian Bingyi in front of the cameras.

Chinese badminton is in a mess, YY with TYT, ZYL breaking up with ZN and ZYL in conflict with TQ.