Who will win the Men's Singles Gold medal at Rio Olympics ?

Discussion in 'Olympics 2016 - RIO' started by Nine Tailed Fox, Jun 17, 2016.

?

Who will win?

Poll closed Jul 29, 2016.
  1. Lin Dan

29.9%
  2. Lee Chong Wei

54.5%
  3. Chen Long

6.5%
  4. Viktor Axelsen

6.5%
  5. Jan O Jorgensen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Son Wan Ho

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Chou Tien Chen

1.3%
  8. Others (Please Specify)

1.3%
  1. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    LCW hates LD too!:mad:

on badminton court :p:p:p

2. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

That s why Tey Seu Bock shouldn't be at Rio as a LCW s coach. Still talking about playing the LD reputation rather than LD. What LCW has been lacking previously are coaches that are tactically solid to help him to prepare comprehensively. Now LCW has two first class coaches in Hendrawan and Morten Frost. It will be about how comprehensive LCW s preparation is. The more comprehensive, the more confident LCW will be.

blabl likes this.
  3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

You know, I was searching for something on youtube and came across the Chen Long vs Lee CW BAC'16 Final Match and while waiting for something else, I just clicked and watched the match again. It suddenly reminded me that Chen Long actually and boldly said he thought he would win in two sets and put down his defeat in three sets to accumulated fatigue as he had been playing quite a bit that month and had a tough CHN Master's final match with Lin Dan the week before whereas LCW started fresh at the BAC.

Originally, I thought he was being a sore loser but re-watching that match, I realized indeed what he claimed wasn't a far-fetched excuse. I also re-looked at his H2H record with LCW, 12-13 in Lee's favour now but the thought suddenly dawned on me that Chen Long is the first and only player to have beaten LCW twice four times in a row, yes, not once but twice Chen Long beat LCW four times consecutively ! Nay, not even Lin Dan could do that to LCW !

The first time from Nov 2012 to Jan 2014 AND the second time from Aug 2014 to Aug 2015. True, LCW got his revenge on Chen Long the last four encounters. So ? What's the chance of Chen Long winning their 5th encounter in Rio ? That's the question.

Even Chen Long's H2H record with Lin Dan the last one year or so is not too bad, having won twice in 2015 at All England and MAS Open on the two occasions they met while Lin Dan got one back at the CHN Masters'16.

My point is either Chen Long emerges the somewhat surprise gold medallist at Rio or he acts as the spoiler to Lin Dan or LCW.

There may be other possible candidates like VA but I don't rate any of them as high as Chen Long.

The last time Chen Long was smarting from his Thomas Cup'14 debacle, he redeemed himself months later by outdoing LCW for the 2014 World Title. Will Chen Long redeem himself again this year at Rio after another heartbreak at Thomas Cup'16 and who will he trump for gold this time ?

@AlanY, so far , You are the first and only one to believe Chen Long can do it. May your wish be fulfilled.

Likewise, another question to be asked is, will Lin Dan lose three times in a row to LCW ? What do you think ? I doubt so, seriously, that's why I voted Lin Dan should they clash at Rio whether in the Semis or Final depending on the draw.

4. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    There is not much to improve in LCW game...it is that small area that LCW was previously lacking especially when playing LD and that I agree with you, with Hendy and Frosty who are proven winners themselves guiding LCW, we have seen LCW demonstrated in his recent win over LD, CL and tight win over VA in TC in how to stay calm, no rushing, focus....I would not be surprised if LCW wins at RIO this time.

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

To be frank, LCW's problem with Lin Dan is mostly his own making, I doubt any coach can help him except himself.

Didn't Hendrawan coach LCW before the 2015 WC as reported here http://www.badmintonplanet.com/badminton-news/3707-hendrawan-to-coach-lee-chong-wei.html in April that year ? As we know, he didn't play Lin Dan but lost to Chen Long in the title match, not to mention the 2014 WC which he also lost to Chen Long where Lin Dan was actually absent (no wild card entry).

6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Hendrawan and Morten may appear to have helped LCW psychologically (though not in WC'15 when Hendrawan was coaching),but those wins are the non-majors and LCW himself is aware of that.

I wouldn't be so confident as to jump to that conclusion. Besides, Tey Seu Bock didn't utter anything new, merely stating a plain fact that everybody knew, nothing to rebuke him for, in my opinion.

It's human nature to be influenced more by the current state of affairs, tending to overlook the recent past or play it down, and project it to the near future.

7. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Actually I placed my bet on CL last year, I even did bet against another forum member who said LD will win (a tube of shuttles). Can't remember which thread now, one of the LD threads.

But with CL's poor performance this year I'd say it's 40% CL and 60% LCW if they should meet. Still don't think LD will win.

blabl likes this.
  8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I understand, most of us based our decisions on the tide at the time. But tides ebb and flow, whose tide will rise at Rio , nobody knows.

For the last few months, the tide is/was with LCW, whether it'll still be come Rio, we shall see.

In WS, it's much more chaotic, first one then the other, as if taking turns, to rise with the tide, who will rise highest at Rio is anybody's guess. Hope my analogy makes sense -yes, the tide is supposed to carry everyone in it but if you're not there at the right time, you miss the high tide.

Regarding Chen Long, I see his lower body as very strong, stronger than his upper body, his court coverage is fantastic and with his height and reach, he gets so much back when he's in his element that I often see LCW getting frustrated, annoyed, impatient, tentative and finding his attacks thwarted , becomes erratic. In my humble opinion, whenever Chen Long beat LCW, it is due more to his superior defense, his uncanny ability to throw everything back, than his attacking prowess; once LCW's attacks are repelled or dented, Chen Long would counterattack and more often than not reduced LCW to passivity, bested.

Actually, to be honest, my main concern is whether Chen Long can get over his depression soon enough, quickly immerse himself in comprehensive, systematic training and when the time comes, just let himself go in Rio and soar like The Dragon once again as he has done before.

9. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    Post Rio, I hope PBSI would make a move to offer Hendrawan a deal he couldn't reject to come back to Indonesia. It was said the BAM "hijacked" him with salary tenfolds of what he was making that time, if necessary we'll hundredfolds that.
    We'll need him to nurture Jonathan, Ihsan and Anthony. It's about time for him to "pulang kampung". :)

10. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys

Lin Dan at 33 still totally owned younger players.:D

#30 badlove, Jun 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
    well-son, BadSID and Justin L like this.
  11. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    VA got more votes then CL :D
    Idk why but I voted for LD! I don't think I have any reasons and no matter how many ifs and buts I think, all of 'em seems baseless :p

12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Shuttle Flash is getting better and better, one of the best video clips he has made, accompanied by rousing music and capturing all the best moments of Lin Dan recently.

nilesh123 and badlove like this.
  13. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

It will be between Lin Dan, Chen Long and Lee Chong Wei, with Lin Dan and Lee Chong Wei's chances higher than Chen Long's.

Lin Dan - because of his superior skills and mentality.

Lee Chong Wei - his consistency.

Chen Long - he's good, but there's something lacking in him. Can't quite put what's lacking though. In general, he's better than most, but when others give their best, he can be overcome.

blabl and Swedebadminton like this.
  14. lee_91vn

lee_91vn Regular Member

Student

I just watching this video on Youtube.

15. ZuriYoo

ZuriYoo New Member

Im so emotional when watch this

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Swedebadminton likes this.
  16. renbo

renbo Regular Member

So many shots against LDK!

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

The poll asked who will win gold at Rio, but , it seems to me, most people treat it as who do you want or wish or hope to take gold at Rio Olympics.

If there's an attractive price for the correct answer, would the outcome be any different? Definitely.

18. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Just because much less people voted for LD than for LCW?

LCW has been the one who has been playing better the last few months, beating CL and LD a few times. So I don't think the voting results are that surprising.

19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Your response is to be expected. But I have in mind the views of such luminaries as Yang Yang,Zhao Jianhua and Peter Gade, as well as Wong Choon Han,Tey Seu Bock. That's just me.

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Your response is to be expected. But I have in mind the views of such luminaries as Yang Yang,Zhao Jianhua and Peter Gade, as well as Wong Choon Han,Tey Seu Bock. That's just me.

21. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Well, I'm just stating the obvious. But as you might have noticed I haven't voted yet, neither for LCW, nor for LD.

But reading your critical posts lately - even in this thread - about LD's performance and seeing that you voted for LD, it seems to me that you're the one whose vote is more based on hope than anything. ;)

habsq likes this.