2016 XiamenAir AUSTRALIAN Open Superseries : Qualifying & R/32 (7th & 8th June)

Discussion in 'Indonesia Open / Australian Open 2016' started by CLELY, Jun 6, 2016.

1. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    Simply because no one target just to win silver.

Just for example in Indonesia, our government will give USD 500,000 as bonus for one gold per person. You then add that with bonus from clubs and private companies that could make up to million USD as motivation incentives. You will get the President to welcome you back home and forever considered heroes like what Taufik Hidayat, Alan Budikusuma, Susi Susanti, Ricky/Rexy, Hendra Setiawan and many did for us in the past. For Indonesian there will only be two chance to hear our national anthem Indonesia Raya played abroad, the first one is when our president make a visit abroad, and the other one is of course when our player could win Gold in Olympics.

2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

OTOH, you're right, and that's the reality, that the worth and treatment given between gold and silver is worlds apart.

3. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Wuhoo, already witnessed a whole huge bunch of upsets and it's just R1, tomorrow will be even better I dare say :)
    Sameer did fab edging out a talented player of his age group should give him morale boost, PVS is still swinging wildly but this def is way beyong disappointment, KS back strongly crushed Ng's hopes

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Sameer Verma did well to dispose of Ihsan Mustofa and tomorrow he's up against another young INA hopeful, Anthony Ginting who stopped Chou TC today, no less.

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Sadly, it's He Bingjiao vs Wang Shixian in the early rounds again.

nilesh123 likes this.
  6. udin_udik

udin_udik Regular Member

Imagine if Indonesia is like USA, China, or Japan that win hundreds of gold medal in Olympic. Our government will spend so muh money on incentives :)

Anyway, glad to know Anthony Ginting won quite easily, 21-8,21-12 over seeded 7 Chou Tien Chen.

Only one seeded player left in this very first round. Will Chen Long finally win this or he will choke to these unseeded players left?

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Actually, there are two other matches involving INS players that I'm interested to watch but, unfortunately, won't be covered on livestream, i.e. K Srikanth vs Sony DK and Saina vs Goh Jin Wei.

blabl likes this.
  8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Good to know, three veterans, Sho Sasaki, Hu Yun, and NguyenTien Minh are still going strong.

blabl likes this.
  9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Again, poor Wang Shixian, after her clash with her junior He Bingjiao tomorrow, waiting for her in the QFs if she prevails will be , most likely, none other than Li Xuerui. What a draw.

10. thljcl

thljcl Regular Member

GOAT's Era? Well, I can't really deny that since Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Denying the level of SSP is understandable. Since if you recognize it, GOAT can no longer be GOAT.

As for myself, yes, I couldn't care less about worldly honor. I never deny the fact that winning WC or Olympic Games is an achievement; it's just that I also recognize that World/Olympic Champion≠World NO 1. Like it or not, World Ranking is the official list of players in the order of strength. Like it or not, SSP/SS is top-tier tournaments.

http://system.bwf.website/documents...-Section-10---Regulations-for-Superseries.pdf

Just read 1.2

AND

http://system.bwf.website/documents/folder_1_81/Regulations/Superseries/Part III - Section 10 - ANNEXURE C - Pratice Court Req.pdf

read 1.1

http://www.badmintonengland.co.uk/landingpage.asp?section=5444&preview=1#.V1f_rI9OK74

Yes, SSP IS the grand slam in the world of badminton. Guess who is the first and only men's singles player who achieves career grand slam?

http://badmintonmalaysiaopen.com/about

By the way, since November 2015, LCW has won three of the four SSP titles being held.

Do I make up any false allegation?

#110 thljcl, Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
    Loh and blabl like this.
  11. thljcl

thljcl Regular Member

Wow, Ginting beat Chou Tien Chen. Guess the fact he gave much resistance to Jan Jorgenson during Indonesia Open wasn't fluke after all.

12. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Why so much effort to prove a fact? Whose denying LCW is amongst the greatest? He is and will always be on the list of Greatest Ever! As far as I am concerned debating on the very topic of "GOAT" is moot. There are numerous drawbacks in comparing/analyzing the performances of players from diff eras, they why do we sweat about it so much!
    I dare say there's no special position/prize/title officially it's just a satisfactory recognition we give too our favs. Plus even He/She you call "GOAT" would deny of any such thing 'emselves... To one his own

Loh, nokh88, blabl and 1 other person like this.
  13. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Agreed. Pointless. And not going to change anyone else's mind.

blabl and nilesh123 like this.
  14. thljcl

thljcl Regular Member

That's why I never recognize that there is such thing as GOAT. I have been reading posts after posts. It's almost incredible when one of the features of many forums is to bash LCW while almost no one speaks up for him.

Loh, nilesh123 and blabl like this.
  15. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Because everyone wants the last word. And remember ... haters will be haters. I recall a forummer who regarded WC, Olympics and All-England as majors. This was before LCW won the All-England for the first time, but after that, it seemed All-England is not a major anymore. LOL

And while I'm on this subject, I don't entirely agree with you. WC and Olympics are not everything, but are nevertheless pretty important. Winners of these tournaments are to be greatly respected (as long as they are not generally regarded as one-off flash-in-the-pan types). And these are the tournaments that each player wants to win more than others.

But where we agree is that assessing a player's career through the narrow lens of only the WC and Olympics is pretty myopic. It's understandable for a non-badminton fan to do that. But a fan should be more discerning and regard performances/results in all events (including the important WC and Olympics) over the .span of the career.

nokh88, Vijay P., Loh and 3 others like this.
  16. thljcl

thljcl Regular Member

I'm not sure what we don't agree at. I never say Olympic Games and WC are not important. I repeatedly said that it is great honor to win those tournaments. They are just two of the major tournaments out there; not everything.

blabl likes this.
  17. thljcl

thljcl Regular Member

It's because SSP is prize-money oriented as well as strictly merit-based; hence they are different from the WC or OG. But make no mistake; despite the fact that there are lower-ranked players participate in WC or OG, it is still one of the major tournaments out there. The reason OG or WC cannot be compared with grand slam is that it does not offer prize money and it is not strictly merit-based. There are still some top players out there competing in WC or OG. They have greater chance to take WC or OG as they face less resistance in earlier rounds. Whereas in SSP, top players could be beaten in the very first or second round.

Thanks to the qualification system of WC, LCW got his chance to boost his world ranking by participating in WC when he was not even qualified to play in SSP.

BWF did give reigning World/Olympic Champion a chance to get prize money. If he/she/they can be at the top 20 in the world ranking; there is no two higher ranked players/pairs from Superseries Standing from his own country; he can get a wild card to play in Superseries Finals. Still, he cannot get prize money outright from WC or OG.

This is a nice change in my opinion. BWF should give a clear guidance on who should be able to get wild card.

#117 thljcl, Jun 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
    blabl likes this.
  18. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    You have been harping on this issue over and over again. Don't you get bored? Get on with your life and not LCW's. Do something meaningful. Please.

blabl likes this.
  19. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    To me GOAT (Greatest Of All Time) is Muhammad Ali.
    May his soul rest in peace.

ronk, Vijay P. and blabl like this.
  20. thljcl

thljcl Regular Member

I do recognize the fact that he is amazing. As usual, I don't call anyone GOAT. :p