2016 TOTAL BWF TUC Finals - Day 8 (22nd May) : THOMAS Cup FINAL

Discussion in 'Thomas Cup Finals / Uber Cup Finals 2016' started by CLELY, May 21, 2016.

1. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

of coz you are right, as a HKV fan. And I also agree HKV had played a great game of his own, calm and totally in control.

I just comment from a pure sports spectator... and disappointed than Mustofa could not make this game a more intensive and close game...

2. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Yeah, poor Chen Long :D China first doubles also contributed a quarterfinal outing nightmare.

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Ancient Greek, that's impressive. Then you can study the original works of the greatest philosophers in Greece, namely, Socrates (as nothing written by him remain extant, you'd have to find his teachings hidden behind his 'best disciple', Plato), Plato , and Aristotle. Though they may be antiquated, still worth reading, esp for their ethics and politics.

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I thought Doctor of Theology! :eek:

blabl likes this.
  5. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    No need to learn mandarin, takes too long to learn and by the time Vittinghus even barely can speak the language, those good-looking Chinese chicks will be old maid:p....just the silent language of LOVE will do:D

blabl and Loh like this.
  6. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    If I am Vittinghus, the Cup is secondary it is only a piece of hardware...dang!, no wonder Vittinghus is grinning with a smile country wide, the moment is right in front...just like the Char Siu story I told previously before the good fairy take it away...Now, Vic be good Danish boy, don't be greedy:D

7. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

Nope, the 1st Chinese MD got a standing ovation from the Chinese crowd when they lost-- because that's exactly the kind of badminton (player) fans came to watch.

Whereas Li Yongbo started covering his face because people were already chanting, "Li Yongbo, leave the class!"-- you guys really think the Thomas & Uber Cup audience was a bunch of "random walk-ins" who don't know who's who in professional badmintion?

8. highmountain

highmountain Regular Member

Perhaps they are a bit complacent after the big win in the London Olympic 2012. By now, they should have more new bloods selected for the Rio Olympics but so far only Tang Yuanting. They have some young promising players like chen qingchen, zheng, the double li/liu should have been given more opportunity earlier.

9. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

Purely as a sports fan, LD vs Lee Dong Keun, and Vittinghus vs Ihsan Moustofa/Iskandar Zainuddin, etc. were very entertaining master-classes on:

"How to pick apart your opponents MENTALLY, when they try to run you down PHYSICALLY".

When LD, HKV defends/returns a shot, they don't simply try to "clear" it like a certain No-Name No. 1-- but block to the net if you have just smashed from the back court, or sweep it to one side if you happen to on the other. Of course, they also have a certain confidence or willingness to apply/adjust their strategies even when they make mistakes--unlike that certain NNN1.

Lee Dong Keun, Ihsan & Zainuddin got mentally demolished because they couldn't read LD & HKV's game (is he going to tap/slice/etc?), whereas LD & HKV had already figured out their playing style before the 1st interval of the 1st game.

And this isn't really even about disguises or deception, part of Korea/INA's strategies was to keep up (or keep up with) the pace of play so that your opponents don't really have time to play any tricks-- but you still have to know/read your opponent's game, as in "can/will he do cross-court drops/front-court pushes/etc"?

10. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

I don't think he has to answer anything-- the LD vs LCW badminton MS Final had the 3rd highest viewership during the 2012 London Olympics... I'm not sure if it will make it to the top 10 in 2016 Rio if none of them are in it.

Just see how fondly fans remember Peter Gade or Morten Frost (if you are much older) despite never being World Champions-- Li Yongbo with all his KPIs may not agree, but we must all thank a certain No-Name No.1 for showing us that world ranking points are just world ranking points, and some world champions are just world champions...

#710 Forestal, May 23, 2016
    Last edited: May 23, 2016
  11. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

Hans-Kristian Vittinghus: "At 19-7, I started thinking about how I should celebrate-- after that, I was in a daze until my team-mates mobbed me and I realized that I had won..."

Now now, Vittinghus-- you naughty/arrogant side is showing...
    HKV-evil.png

Yes, yes-- we know you are the most good-looking guy on the team....
    HKV.jpg

But you are not the cutest!
    KA.jpg

And the MVP goes to... Team Psychologist & Physiotherapist (back row, left one and two)-- something which the technically backward Team China still doesn't have-- for bringing Jan O Jorgensen back in fighting form!!
    DK-team.png

#711 Forestal, May 23, 2016
    Last edited: May 23, 2016
    visor and Loh like this.
  12. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

hope next Thomas Uber Cup in 2018 will be host at Denmark, and the whole Asia countries will go there and grab back the cup from the Danes...

13. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

Kunshan 2016 happened because local authorities were making a push to market the city (recently developed as an economic/ecological zone) to the rest of China and the world.

So it really depends on the successful commercialization/sponsorship of badminton in Denmark, which really began last year when an Asian sponsor "bought out" their local sponsors for the Sudirman Cup (and forced Team Denmark to drop their top XD, WD, MD bound by local sponsorships).

Now that Foreign/International brands/corporations are competing to sponsor Team Denmark, Danish brands/corporation cannot no longer sponsor the home team "on the cheap" and Denmark may get the resources to host bigger competitions... Denmark hasn't even hosted the UEFA European Championships despite soccer being the most popular sport in the country.

14. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    I don't think BAM would spend so much investing in Frost and Hendrawan on LCW, for just nothing as an answer.

15. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

You cannot compare hosting the UEFA European soccer championships and Thomas Cup. And you cannot compare soccer with badminton in Denmark (or handball for that matter). While soccer is the biggest sport in Denmark, Denmark is far from the best at it - especially our league is not amongst the top 5 or perhaps not even top 10 leagues in Europe. That means all our strong players seek out to other leagues when they reach a certain level, which limits the financial capacity (and thus sporting level and spectator interest) of the national league. Again leading to not having nearly enough big stadiums to host something like European or Worlds. Denmark could co-host with southern Sweden. On the other hand you have badminton and handball. We're top-ranked in those sports, and our leagues are top-notch, thus we're used to world-level play and teams. They are indoor sports, much easier to host at the highest level, not requirering nearly as many huge stadiums. Go to Barcelona or Madrid, and you have 90-100.000 spectators at a soccer league game. And in soccer you can only play one game per day per stadium, making a World or European championship require multiple big stadiums... Imagine you only had one badminton court at an arena, and only time to play a couple of games on each court per day. Then you have the comparison.

Surely Denmark can handle/host the Thomas Cup - we did host the World Championship less than a couple of years ago. But will there be enough financial interest in coming to Denmark? I'm not sure. Unfortunately, there are not so many money in badminton in Europe. If just more European countries would catch up... The Danish population is way too small to be able to drive this alone - remember, we are just a bit over 5 million here. That's less than half of what you have in the big cities in Asia. I do feel however, that badminton is slowly on a rise here, as a TV sport. But the Danish federation really messed it up the last two seasons - far more embarassing than the cookie-gate. Last year, where we hosted the Worlds, and there were so much attention paid to badminton here, they f***ed up with the rights to show the Danish league games in TV or live streams, going down from showing one match from each round, to show only the semis and finals. Same year as they tested out the "made for TV" 5 sets to 11 scoring system... So they didn't capitalize on the interest drawn from after the Worlds. This season? They f***ed up even harder, and got into an issue about players elegibility to play the finals, promising one team something, while telling the other team they could protest. Ending up with NO FINALS in the Danish leagues being played. No winners, no TV event.... :-(

Loh likes this.
  16. Zezevii

Zezevii Regular Member

You don't have top league but you have hot players!!! Daniel Agger is hot as fXXk (sorry for my word)!!! For me he's much much better than David Beckham:D
    Danish badminton players are also very handsome,Peter Gade is like a prince to me. Kenneth Jonassen is also very good-looking,so is HKV.Peter Gade was actually the first 'Super Star' in badminton. I'm talking about his commercial value here. PR agencies started to promote badminton players because of Peter Gade.
    Denmark have the potential to attract more European capitals as it's not too difficult to promote a good-looking white top player in Europe.I'm not being racist,just telling the fact.And big names and their fame will surely bring in fortune. Danish just need big titles to have top PR agents attentions and now they have TC. I won't expect too much but there will be more sponsors coming with proper PR works.
    DBF could be another story though...

17. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Badminton in Europe is already very popular. I mean "popular" in the sense that people play. But professional badminton is under the radar of the media.

18. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    I like the INA white t-shirt.

19. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

ya, actually I missed the MAS team jersey during 2001-2004 which was under Gosen Sponsorship before changed to Yonex...

20. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

That's why I thought hosting the Euro and the Thomas Cup would be comparable challenges-- we simply cannot separate the physical resources and financial resources required when talking about the "ability" to host world events, e.g. hosting the Euro cup may take more physical resources, but it also attracts more financial resources and is more professionally/commercially developed, blah x 3-- not to mention the possibility of co-hosting...

Hosting the Thomas (& Uber) Cup may be less physically demanding, but where's the money? Even in Kunshan, China 2016, there were only 2 TV courts and Hawkeye was only available on Court 1-- Hawkeye has not only made top-level badminton fairer and more exciting, but also more expensive.

That's why I said Danish badminton development has to start with lots more money coming from competing sponsors-- The Chinese badminton "super league" also doesn't really get much commercial or popular interest because it got "bought out" by Li Ning (possibly more due to connections than money?)-- there is no real sense of competition between clubs/sponsors trying to outbid or beat each other for various players/events; so it plays out more like internal demonstration matches where your performances will not "threaten" your position in the National Team...

Maybe that's why CL started losing in team events since the 2013 National (province vs province) Games, where he lost to a retiring provincial player (never selected by the National Team)-- he has his priorities "rightly" aligned with Li Yongbo and his KPIs.

#720 Forestal, May 25, 2016
    Last edited: May 26, 2016