2016 TOTAL BWF TUC Finals - Day 8 (22nd May) : THOMAS Cup FINAL

Discussion in 'Thomas Cup Finals / Uber Cup Finals 2016' started by CLELY, May 21, 2016.

1. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Has LDK or Takuma defeated LD before? Why are you raving over LD s wins over non opponents? You are demeaning LD s status. You don t celebrate such victories because it s more than to be expected. LD took 51 mins to subdue LDK. I thought it should be over in 30 min given LD s a 2x OG champion, 5x World champion? Steen s a true blue LD fan like you. LD hasn't performed in a way for him to rave for far too long, so of course he was ecstatic! You poor things!

2. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Well, far more people do that to Msia actually. Specifically your fellow China friends. And more specifically to LCW, even when he wins, since years ago. So dont be so sensitive.

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

OTOH, now that the tournament is just over, anything related to it can be discussed freely, best in a fair, balanced manner, offering constructive criticisms where called-for, with in-dept analyses, keen insights, expressions of disappointments, counterfactual arguments, and so on and so forth, but better without being too personal or needlessly provocative.

opruh likes this.
  4. eaglehelang

Should be the respective countries pay. Yeah2, our tax money

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

You're as good as admitting you didn't watch the match, Lin Dan vs Lee DK - it's not just that Lin Dan won but how he played ! You poor thing, I'm wasting my time talking to you.

Me demeaning Lin Dan or you demeaning Lee DK as a 'non-opponent' ?

opruh likes this.
  6. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Thanks, eagle. So they were sightseeing Kunshan yesterday and today.

7. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Congratulations to Denmark! With Carsten Mogensen out because of his brain surgery, and Mathias Boe without a partner, Denmark pulled off a win that most didn't expect that they could. Denmark has been the runner up at the Thomas Cup for something like 10 times - never winning - but they finally shrugged off that destiny today. Denmark always deserved to win a Thomas Cup because they have been a top 5 country in badminton for so long, but it was depressing that they couldn't do it until now.

Viktor Axelsen lead the charge by playing his best badminton for such a major tournament. He wasn't expected to beat LCW but he pushed LCW in two close sets. Otherwise, Viktor Axlesen cleaned up the rest of his matches. I would have expected JoJ would have better dealt as the lead MS player for Denmark because it's the highest pressure position for Denmark and JoJ has much more experience than Viktor. Nevermind, Viktor Axelsen took on the pressure and was a huge factor as to why Denmark played so well in the playoff portion of the Thomas Cup.

When JoJ injured himself, Denmark was looking likely to lose in the playoffs. But the Denmark team played through, especially with huge win by Emil Host. With 2 days rest, JoJ was able to come back and play stellar badminton and win the 3rd match. The comeback of JoJ meant a lot because he added that much more depth the Denmark team, given their doubles was weak. Vittinghus sealed the deal with his 5th match.

If you had told me Denmark would win, given Carsten Mogensen's injury and Mathias Boe playing without a partner that fits him, I probably wouldn't have thought it could be possible. I will say this - Denmark made the most of situation and that's why they won. Given China was knocked out and Japan was without Momota or Tago, Denmark made sure they made the best of their situation and won when it counted. It's easy to say this, but don't forget that multiple times this year in the superseries, when Chen Long/LCW/LD were knocked out early in the superseries in the same half of the bracket as Viktor Axelsen or JoJ, leaving Viktor Axelsen and JoJ a clear path the final, Viktor Axelsen and JoJ simply wasted their opportunity and lost to a lower ranked player before they reached the final. In this tournament, Viktor Axelsen and JoJ won when they needed to, opposite of their play in the superseries this year. Denmark also took advantage of Korea's win over China - they did everything they needed to do to win it all.

As for Viktor, I think he is still an underdog against LCW heading into the Olympics. Having said that, I wouldn't count out a shock upset of Viktor against LD or Chen Long at the Olympics (especially with LD and Chen Long under performing at times over the last year). This must be a huge boost of confidence to Viktor Axelsen who is unable to win a SS so far because Viktor has made history for Denmark. Chen Long needs to find his groove back. I liken Chen Long to Srikanth Kidambi - somebody who has lost his confidence and ability to win. It's hard to judge LD in this tournament since he was always the second MS player so he wasn't really tested but at least LD won when he was expected to. If Viktor and JoJ play well at the Olympics, Denmark has an outside shot for gold or silver (LCW, LD, and Chen Long are still the favorites).

virusvoodoo, blabl, Loh and 1 other person like this.
  8. eaglehelang

Ya meh? Got photos?
    After this,Ah Koo/Ah Tan should really retire already, lol
    CWF, continue playing in the clubs.

9. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    I don't have the photos. Just guessing.
    Koo/Tan were already out on the association. Don't know why they included them and got free medals. They only won against the Taiwanese.
    It was an embarrassment watching them play. They lost on stamina, not skills. Were already out of gas during the middle of the 2nd game. At this level, you can't win if you do not have the stamina.

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Okay, I get your point.

But, still. to be fair to LYB, his position as Head Coach of CBA is never an easy one, esp in 1993 when he first assumed the position, an unenviable one when CHN badminton was at its lowest point. True, he did make some unpopular decisions, taking big risks, which, fortunately for him turned out to be right, if not,he would've to bear all the consequences and be long gone by now.

Even today, it's not like we can simply pick anyone without credentials or proven track record to do the job and hopefully, with CHN's depth of talents, CBA will continue to produce outstanding results by itself. Nay, if the wrong person is appointed as Head Coach, the whole organization may unravel itself with irreparable, long-lasting damage leading to even more drastic decline than it is now, and Heaven knows how long it will take for CHN badminton to recover.

opruh likes this.
  11. eaglehelang

Ya, I know. When I saw the line up, I tot KKK/TBH were the reserves. That they'll let Teo Ee Yi play or mix and match them. Rather watch the younger ones play. They need the experience for next TC.

12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

We obviously have different perspectives of his behaviour. Sure , he has his flaws, I never deny that and had even criticized him before elsewhere, but , on the whole, I felt he's been unfairly targeted and presented, attacked and vilified by some people, whatever their motivations or secret agenda.

You described him as 'barking' (like dogs barking) his instructions in the way you depicted but other coaches as only "getting "animated" and making faces, they are making gestures of encouragement or emphasis." - a matter of perception and personal feelings.

opruh likes this.
  13. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    [​IMG]
    One very happy fella

virusvoodoo, tbgoh288, lee00 and 4 others like this.
  14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Viktor should teach him Mandarin.
    Like "Wo ai ni".

#554 Loh, May 22, 2016
    Last edited: May 22, 2016
    Zezevii likes this.
  15. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Cool dude, this HKV!

16. renbo

renbo Regular Member

It is ironical that Den wins its first TC with its present state, while during the glorious time of PG, Jonassen and great doubles they could not clinch it.
    There is luck in sport. "Seize the day", said the Ancients

g3rryok likes this.
  17. kelana

kelana Regular Member

globalresearch.ca
    Enjoy while it lasts, taste the victory while it's still sweet... definitely a great and historic moment for the DEN team... finally after over half a century in waiting :)

opruh likes this.
  18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Surrounded by beauties for his heroic role in Denmark's historic title win, their very first Thomas Cup. Was it impromptu - the beauties know a hero when they see one or somebody sportingly in good fun arranged it for him ?

opruh likes this.
  19. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    Because winning only Superseries but missing out on all the major titles. Of course for many fans it will be considered still not legit.

opruh likes this.
  20. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    You sound jealous.
    I like Sony. Is he legit in your eyes? Even if he's not, I still like him as a player.