2016 TOTAL BWF TUC Finals - Day 8 (22nd May) : THOMAS Cup FINAL

Discussion in 'Thomas Cup Finals / Uber Cup Finals 2016' started by CLELY, May 21, 2016.

1. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Yep, Got your point. Chen Long hid his cards while playing SWH so he can win in Rio Olympics. So CL chose to lose on home turf to surprise fans for the big one? You know what it s like when a WR1 keeps losing to different opponents? They lose self confidence. Oh, wait, for CL, those are pretend losses so his confidence will bounce back immediately, like rock stars when they hit the stage.

2. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Yes, I got the order of play wrong. But DEN was so strong in the singles. They could have wrap up the title in 3 matches. Moreover, their 2nd double is a sure lose anyway. Astrup was horrible.

3. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

That why I asked: has INA never studied JOJ's pretty much established playing style and found any way to counter it-- not a great chance, of course, since JOJ is probably experienced enough to re-adjust himself mid-game...

But sending Ginting and asking him to just play one strategy looks to me like INA coaches have run out of resources/ideas and was just trying their luck-- like Malaysia did with Zainuddin vs Vittinghus.

4. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    I think it would be more fun if the order of play is drawn by lot (ie random).

opruh, virusvoodoo and g3rryok like this.
  5. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Just saw some Korean matches. Would Korea be a a stronger opponent than Indonesia to Denmark in the final?

6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

That's a lowdown statement, mean-spirited and uncalled-for. Why is LYB demonized and treated as the fall guy for anything or everything that goes wrong in Team CHN as if all his past glories and unmatched accomplishments ? First for helming CHN to win too much culminating in the London Olympic clean sweep, and then nowadays for her repeated flops that finally allowed other countries to grab some honours ?

Actually, I also don't fully agree with Forestal either. LYB as far as I gathered is a changed man after the London OG clean sweep, he's mellowed quite a bit, less harsh and demanding of his players and coaches, more willing to tolerate and give chances to those who failed to live up to his expectastions (remember WSX during her doldrums, WZM indifferent results, Chen long's fiasco in AG'14 Team event and two successive Thomas Cups, etc).

Let me tell you, if Cai Yun takes over him one day, and I do support it, not only will new broom sweeps clean, expect the outspoken,candid, forthright and sometimes blunt person that he is to ruffle quite a few feathers in CBA. And I'd expect him not to be above openly criticizing others in the badminton world.

Meanwhile, let's be fair to LYB and give the man his due, he even bent the rules for Lin Dan on his private sponsorship request,an unprecedented move, perhaps indirectly offending Li-Ning in the process (though I also read that Li-Ning was somewhat amenable to Lin Dan's special entreaty). He's come a long way from his initial appointment as Head Coach in 1993, yes 23 years ago, when Chinese badminton was at its nadir and state-funding was not easy to come by for not having credible results to show back then.

opruh, Zezevii and kelana like this.
  7. wetsvandal

wetsvandal Regular Member

I will say result will be the same. On paper it will be 3-2 for DEN. Except if SWH can beat axelsen. Which is TS actually also has that capability, too bad he screwed up on the critical point in g2

8. g3rryok

g3rryok Regular Member

no.. they tried to won that too.. mads/mads had won in the last 2 encounter with ahsan/setiawan.. so they field them

9. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

Badminton is not some online card game, only e-sports enthusiasts thinks that playing a totally randomised order of cards is "fun".

Actual sports fans wants to watch an actual contest of athletic form, skilful footwork, split-second reaction etc.

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

You obviously don't know Lin Dan when it comes to team competition, look how he mastered his opponent, Lee Dong Keun, and Takuma Ueda before that.

Even if it were your eternal idol LCW standing before him, I fear for his predicament. Steen Pedersen during Lin Dan's match with LDK went so far as to say Lin Dan was masterfully demonstrating to the world how badminton should be played whilst LDK was there just to feed him the shots, likening it to the Harlem Globetrotters in basketball displaying their magic with some amateurs.

opruh and Zezevii like this.
  11. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

They definitely knew what they could or had to do, but Kolding's form is not there-- and Kolding is a really big target/liability if he is not playing well....

They probably fielded mads/mad hoping Ahsan/Setiawan would crumble like they did against Hong Kong

12. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

If Malaysia were in the finals, Indonesia would have been the champions. Tough luck for Indonesia.

13. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Yes, INA will take MD1, MS2 and MS 3. Probably MD2 as well.

14. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Congrats to Denmark, 1st time winner!!!

Eh, why last few pages talking about China? China already lost few days ago

hannster likes this.
  15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Don't all coaches when necessary 'bark' instructions at their players, including players themselves in multi-player sports such as football (quarterbacks), basketball, soccer, etc. How is it hooliganism ? Btw, how often do we see him at the coach's chair ?

opruh likes this.
  16. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

No point discussing what would happen "on paper"-- that's what CHN did.

VA is a rapidly developing young player-- no one really know what he will be playing like each time he appears. So it's not that easy to strategise against him (& work out who will win "on paper"); LCW clearly got a shock when he tried to win a fast point for Malaysia vs DEN, and had to beat VA using his experience and finesse (better shot selection, better placement, better judgement, etc.) instead of any simple strategy.

Both JOJ & HKV has had career-stopping injuries before and are now even more injury-prone as they get older-- difference being HKV has a smoother temperament and won't risk hurting himself to win a game, if he feels he has reached his limit; whereas JOJ still plays like a daredevil because he believes he might a shot at the top: JOJ really made things dangerous for Denmark while he hurt himself in the TPE-DEN tie; typical of JOJ, he lost his patience (again) against a patient Hsu, and tried to play fast when Hsu was clearly trying to wear him down.

Only hindsight is 20-20 because nobody knows all the cards the other teams are playing-- err, except that everyone knows the cards that Li Yongbo are playing for Team China, except may Li Yongbo himself...

#536 Forestal, May 22, 2016
    Last edited: May 22, 2016
  17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Well, you should know who started it, stepping on Team CHN when it's down, and hypocritically showing concern and even shedding crocodile tears, specifically nokh88 who couldn't be happier.

opruh and kelana like this.
  18. lee00

lee00 Regular Member

You take things too seriously. I didn't mean my statement that way, I also added to ignore it.
    TBH I never denied his achievements, but don't you think he sometimes is a bit 'cruel'? Remember Zhou Mi and WSX..

19. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Anyone knows who pays for the accommodation and food? MAS and KOR could have gone home after Friday's defeat or was it compulsory to attend the prize giving ceremony?
    I remember at one edition, one of the 3rd placing team was missing.

20. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

LOL, why are you trying to defend him when you've never seen him during his on-court coaching days? So you can be seen as a voice of reason? LOL

Anyway, badminton coaches don't need to bark because the badminton court is not that big-- Korean/Japanese/Indian/etc. coaches don't bark; and when you see Danish or other coaches getting "animated" and making faces, they are making gestures of encouragement or emphasis.

I am specifically speaking of the way Li Yongbo leans back, folds his arms, and barks his orders to players without making any expression.