2016 TOTAL BWF Thomas-Uber Cup Finals - Day 6 (20th May) : SEMIFINALS

Discussion in 'Thomas Cup Finals / Uber Cup Finals 2016' started by CLELY, May 19, 2016.

1. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    For Uber Cup, I was really expecting CHN v JPN. KOR is a big surprise. Even after losing WS1, I still expected JPN to win.

blabl likes this.
  2. necrohiero

necrohiero Regular Member

Student
    Yeah.. Sometimes form just beats rank out of nowhere. I mean.. Of course i cannot be sure of Anthony's game later on, but his form until now shows promise. When playing against players like that, it's more to mental games than skills.

Vittinghus has everything to back it up.. But sometimes... He somehow lost his ways during the second set of a match or just during closing points of a set. It shows in his many games, where he first lead.. and then lost the plot. BUT his last match against Malaysia shown otherwise.

That's why, i said, it's just unpredictable.

3. kelana

kelana Regular Member

globalresearch.ca
    I meant as one whole package in the final: Indonesia vs Denmark (TC)... not just one of them! Who will ever predict as such in advance?
    I believe Kwun meant the same.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    actually no. their h2h before today was 1-0 to Emil.

5. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Of course ... but simply because that whole package doesn't have China in it. Just for that one simple reason. It's easy to predict CHN in the final, but ask for predictions on who will also be in the final, I think you'd have gotten an array of answers, Indo and Denmark included.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    bookies best day and worst nightmare.

7. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Can KOR do a "Leicester" tomorrow?

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    right. it is a delicate dance.

we cannot expect the whole forum to be sterile clean. too much moderation is tiring and discouraging.

but yet at the same time, we also don't want full out flame wars and shouting matches.

so don't expect all criticisms to be disallowed, but at the same time, think before you post and try to maintain your composure even if you see other people have stepped over the line.

9. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    WYH or WSX for tomorrow?

Both?

#789 pcll99, May 20, 2016
    Last edited: May 20, 2016
  10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

CWF, captain or not, being MS3 doesn't give him the right to take it easy or, worse still, lose the crucial tiebreaker - his role as MS3 can be just as critical as MS1 who starts the ball rolling. Don't tell me you don't know that.

Your obsession with GOAT is becoming something like OCD (Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder). Take care.

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    personally I was expecting China vs. Japan.

but yes. Indonesia vs. Denmark. wow.

tough call on that one too. one one hand Denmark will be badminton history in the making, on the other hand, Indonesia has been denied the cup for more than a decade. And it will be a very even game.

as for China vs. Korea. China is still the favorite. but they will have to be in tip top shape mentally. keep 2010 firmly in their heads.

12. Maurice MJC

Maurice MJC Regular Member

Uber Cup Semifinal:

• JAPAN-KOREA:
    What a let down from Japan Uber! They were the only one with the potential to at least score a few points against China :(

Unexpectedly Nozomi Okuhara has proven to be the weak link of the Japanese Team! She will feel really bad about her performance in the Uber Cup as a captain :/ She looked very insecure on court throughout the week.

Then surprise loss from Matsumoto/ Takahashi who have been so steady lately. At this point that was pretty much over already. Korea WD2 were absolutely dominating from the very beggining, there was no way to comeback for Y/M.

Congratulations to Korea for winning, although they have absolutely no chance against China tomorrow.. :/ I expect a 3-0 for China.

• INDIA - CHINA:
    No surprise here. Although Sindhu really showed her mental weakness once again, leading 18-9 but ending up losing the set. She had the potential to cause a small upset.

Thomas Cup Semifinal:

• KOREA-IND:
    A pretty tired looking Korean team, as the successive straight sets victory suggests. Especilally LYD/YYS. There was no way to recover from that 1h35 minutes match against the Chinese from yesterday night.

Very anticlimatic Semifinal match-up overall.

The Koreans are really the unlucky losers after the stunning performance they gave yesterday against China. Indonesia and Danemark should be really thankful to them for that xD Especially Indonesia whose team is nowhere near to be able to win against the Chinese Team imo.
    But a win is win so Congratulations to Indonesia who certainly gave a good performance today.

• DEN-MALAYSIA:
    The most exciting semfinal match up of the day. The DEN MD2 win against MAL was the big surprise for me here. They raised their level of play tremendously after that first set. Same for Emile in MS2; he had already won against his opponent and gave him very few free points. Congratulations to Denmark.

I expect Denmark to win 3-2 against Indonesia tomorrow. The three MS are favouring DEN, but the two MD should be secured by IND

#792 Maurice MJC, May 20, 2016
    Last edited: May 20, 2016
  13. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Am i the only one who see Emily holst is growing day by day.

14. fantastic4

fantastic4 Regular Member

Student
    INA vs DEN I would say it still could go both ways. However, I still believe it would be 3-2 to Indonesia.

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    wow. what a day.

the first thing i did when I woke up at 5 something this morning was to check the score. LCW already won, and Goh/Tan was leading 2nd game by a margin. at that point, in my mind, Malaysia already won. there is no way they can lose 3 points after that, even Malaysia. my believe was confirmed after Goh/Tan took the 2nd game and sealed the 2nd point for Malaysia. so i went to the pool and did my morning workout.

little did i know, somehow some way, Denmark came back. I don't know how often this happens in a team tournament, but to come back from 0-2 when there is no obvious advantage in any of the matches is a rarity. then I still though, CWF should be better than ... who? Emil Holst. who is this guy. but then I was a little surprised by the h2h. Emil leads 1-0 in a match in March, 2015.

oh dear.

and there it was, Emil played with great effort. we can see that by the 2nd half of the 2nd game, he was running out of juice. but he held on somehow and Malaysia yet again was denied despite odds are on their side.

Maurice MJC likes this.
  16. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    I am with you on this...but after JAP losing WD1, then the thought of KOR winning becomes possible.

17. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Arrr...you should not have gone for that morning dip...that is why MAS Boleh cannot boleh, alamak

soulpx, abesadi and necrohiero like this.
  18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    cannot lah. need to keep the body active. otherwise get old and weak already.

pjswift likes this.
  19. Amlite

Amlite Regular Member

Wow... saying INA team nowhere near to be able to win the Chinese Team... that hurts :confused:

20. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    don't fan the fire. i am sure u won't want to hear that if ur team just lost