2016 TOTAL BWF Thomas-Uber Cup Finals - Day 5 (19th May) : QUARTERFINALS

Discussion in 'Thomas Cup Finals / Uber Cup Finals 2016' started by CLELY, May 18, 2016.

1. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    double post

2. badminton-watcher

badminton-watcher Regular Member

Is there any video link to watch those replay matches commented by the chinese ex-players?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

3. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    I don't think HKV is giving up the sport yet? He'll only be commentating as a guest commentator for Danish TV. Gill Clark was a former top player and former world no 1 as well (before China came into play of course), Steen was also a prominent player. Commentators usually refrain from calling out too much during the match and risk annoying the TV audience. Chinese style commentary is different from European style. Chinese style is louder, somewhat like American NFL commentary.

MidCourtMediocrity likes this.
  4. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    Had Kento Momota and Kenichi Tago wasn't caught in Gambling, Japan would've won

blabl likes this.
  5. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

Chinese fan-sites like www.aiyuke.com or www.yuqiuba.com might have them--if you can navigate the Chinese sites and get their embedded videos to work.... but CCTV5/5+ are not full/commercial sports channels, so they have to cut out for news & other sports programmes if their pre-alloted hour time-slots run out.

Otherwise, you'll have to download CCTV or other Chinese app-players.

They got Wang Lin (Wang Yihan's batch of players, also coaching now) to commentate for WS, and Wang Xiaolin (Yu Yang's former WD partner, resting from injury) to commentate for WD-- it gets a little too gossipy (stop talking about Intanon's boyfriend & Sindhu's hair!), but they are full of insights on the WS & WD from OTHER countries, having met them in competition before.

6. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

So the problem is not their gambling, but them getting CAUGHT? My friend, this isn't some contractual dispute like LD or the Danish seniors had with their respective national badminton associations.
    No, American commentary is filled with long-running sentences as if they are showing off their oratory skills.

Chinese commentary is really more like watching kungfu movies, if you know what I mean-- you only need 2-4 syllables to describe every move, if you are sharp enough to catch it as it's happening.

"Reverse slice!"
    "Good return!"
    "Too short!"
    "Block to the net!"
    "Rush the net!"

Gill Clark's typically British style commentary is a bit too quiet for me, but at least she doesn't detract from the game. I guess Chinese commentary is somewhere in between.

7. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

+1, don't confuse the keyboard warriors which exists in every country with diehard sports fans-- Chinese fans have just as many words for their own national sports associations as sports fans from any other country.

And the fans who were stayed until 11pm were obviously pro-circuit followers (rather than some random walk-ins) who knew the more established Danish players. Victor Axelson is a new fan favourite (got stopped to sign stuff for the crowd right after his match), probably because he can give interviews in Chinese-- and Lee Chong Wei, Intanon, Tai Tzu Ying, Lee Yong Dae etc. are all very popular with the Chinese fans, CCTV has done featurettes/interviews with them.

I think Japan (& even Indonesia) gets a colder reception because they haven't really had a "face/spokesperson" for their team for a long while, though Nozomi Okuhara/Akane Yamaguchi may change that.

#627 Forestal, May 19, 2016
    Last edited: May 19, 2016
  8. udin_udik

udin_udik Regular Member

Yup. You are correct. So it's even worst, this is the very first time China lost in TC quarterfinal.

9. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

He's the world number one and two-time world champion but his status looked nothing against WR #9 Son Wan Ho. I believe China team expected to scoop all three points from singles category since KOR has two formidable MD pairs. But Chen Long once again displayed below par performance and couldn't cope his nervousness, he's totally failure to play leading role in team event.

10. g3rryok

g3rryok Regular Member

you can find that kind commentary easily in indonesia.. and i fell that kinda lack of creativity as for gill style, she talk about something outside the event on court too..

i like gill style better.. and i learn english listening ability from hearing gill clark commentary :p

11. lee00

lee00 Regular Member

CHN lost!
    Everyone's so excited
    Thank you Chen Long!!

#AntiChenLongTeam

Sent from my Xperia™ Z Ultra using Tapatalk

12. Akim1

Akim1 Regular Member

Coach
    Hosting the event should not give you control of the event. Especially in an unfair way. That would be corruption then. Obvious to everybody I guess :)

13. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

More words from Cai Yun's commentary:

"I once wrote an article on the reason for the state of our MDs, as well as teams sports like soccer-- I think it's because most of our current generation of players are the only child in their family and working in a team doesn't come that naturally to them; when us MD players are playing soccer against the MS players, we will probably beat them because LD thinks more about scoring than passing."

"LDY and YYS alone each have their strengths and weakness, but as a pair they really complement each other really well; ZN and FHF don't have a such a complementary partnership because they are more similar in abilities-- so they are sometimes in 2 minds about who should go forward, or would try to score a winner when they can just set up a shot for their partner."

I don't agree about the "only-child" problem since most developed nations have very small families too, but the current generation of Chinese youths definitely seems to be more self-obsessed than previous ones...probably due to the developing middle-class pre-occupation with "finding/being yourself".

But MD in badminton is definitely not about putting 2 strong players together like in tennis or table-tennis...

14. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

It should, because the rules require you to pay for everything and give bwf a cut-- and it's not corruption because the money and the rules are on the table...

You try so hard to use these English/Legal terms-- but I'm sure they don't mean what you think they mean [roll eyes].

Whining "free-loaders" are typically ignored, because China & other host nations have to deal with the realities of the professional/commercial sports development in every aspect-- the Danish team already have Asian-based sponsors, so Chinese businessmen would certainly be happy to do things differently if broadcasting the Danish rather than the Chinese matches would bring in more money in rights and advertising.

Even China does not have limitless resources to broadcast all matches; maybe when badminton gets as big(cheap?) as table-tennis, then we can have 8-match (out of 128) internet simulcasts like in the World Table-Tennis Championship.

#634 Forestal, May 19, 2016
    Last edited: May 19, 2016
  15. Zezevii

Zezevii Regular Member

yes,it's political. Basically Chinese audience cheer for everyone who play against Japan. Go to library and read some books about WWII in Asia and you will know why I say it's political.

BTW there's no way that China is a major rival to Japan and Korea in soccer,just no way...

16. Zezevii

Zezevii Regular Member

because she spent long years in China and trained with Chinese top players. An OG champion called Wang Nan was like her guardian during her days in China and she saw her as an elder sister. Fukuhara speaks Chinese very well with a funny North-eastern accent,and Chinese table tennis fans regard her as 'she's our girl'.
    And she is very cure indeed.

OneToughBirdie likes this.
  17. Zezevii

Zezevii Regular Member

Wang Xiaoli is not resting,she officially retired and now she's running a B&B with her boyfriend in Yunnan

18. junghei

junghei Regular Member

Anyone here willing to tell me what website able to watch Thomas Cup live?
    Thank u

19. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

LOL, stop living in your books and actually go live in China-- actual sports fans in China tend not to be keyboard analysts like you.... even on the online sports forum, no one gives a hoot about historic/wartime rivalries when there is so much to talk about in sports-rivalry: playing styles, club structures, etc.

LOL, you are confusing actual Chinese sports fans who attend events, with the keyboard warriors who get their sense of self-worth from "Diba" (Emperor Bar) and even get angry with people for watching Japanese movies/anime.

20. Master

Master Regular Member

Please kindly check on every first page, they mentioned there usually.

But the official one is badmintonworld.tv You may receive an error due the streaming not available in your country, but you could always trying to use US/UK proxy or use Anonymox/Hola Unblocker/ZenMate/any other proxy-VPN extension for your browser.