2016 TOTAL BWF Thomas-Uber Cup Finals - Day 5 (19th May) : QUARTERFINALS

Discussion in 'Thomas Cup Finals / Uber Cup Finals 2016' started by CLELY, May 18, 2016.

1. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    U want me to add some oil to the fire?

2. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

He's only doing his job as a commentator-- what do you think Steen Pedersen and Gill Clark do when they commentate?

As "expert" commentators, Cai Yun and Steen are obviously expected critique as well as second guess the coaches and players.

3. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Was WSX's game a distraction for Chen Long?

4. ronk

ronk Regular Member

Thomas cup is now wide open as any team can beat any other team without china. And I thought China was an almost sure thing with 3 singles win and one possible doubles against korea.

blabl likes this.
  5. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Why should it? Explain...

6. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

err, I cant see where you disagree with my post about Morten Frost being given free reign by the Sport Minister and Morten meeting his KPIs... I am obviously not commenting on the state of Malaysia sports or politics as a whole.

7. blabl

blabl Regular Member

That was what I thought too at the beginning but then finally it is proven that I am wrong after all.

8. hannster

hannster Regular Member

Principal Architect
    Wow, so for tomorrow's semis, Korea plays in the afternoon and not the evening, after barely 12 hours of rest... the organisers' way of getting back at them?? :D

9. highmountain

highmountain Regular Member

sad for Lin Dan, his teammates let him down. CL shouldn't have lost, he should learn one or two things from LD able to change the tempo of play, not the same tempo throughout, people can read the game.
    anyway, SWH played exceptional well he changed the whole situation to Korea advantage. I hope Korea will win the Thomas cup. It's good for a change.

10. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    She was playing next court as Chen Long at the same time.

blabl likes this.
  11. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

So? He should be professional enough to concentrate on his match. I think he had other problems than worrying about WSX.

blabl likes this.
  12. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

The part about Rashid and other unecessary players, that doesnt need Sports Minister approval. Nor the appointment of Hendrawan to be elite coach
    The only part that needs approval is the $$$. It's not like Sports Minister was the one who told BAM to hire Morten Frost or went to look for Frost to come. BAM propose Morten Frost, did the negotiations, Sports Minister just need to sign for the money for Frost's salary.
    BAM is the one give free reign
    Khairy J just have to say to BAM "Ok2, you want this. Just get results" . Then wait, not like he has to work hard about it.

13. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

Probably not since Chen Long is such a nice guy... but LD (arguably not in form) has also lost to Son Wan Ho before and Tian Houwei is not exactly a sure bet against Lee Dong Keun since they both play controlling games.

I think what really doomed the Chinese team is the lack of a dependable 2nd MD after Chai Biao/Hong Wei had to be split up due to injury...the Chinese have a clear advantage in MS (with the World No. 1 & 3) but there are no sure bets in the MD matchs-up since the Japanese, Korean and Danish teams have very strong/dependable doubles players.

The Chinese team's (relative, of course) weakness/uncertainty in MD has been troubling them for last few years, with all the weird pairings and re-pairings, right up to the Thomas Cup Finals 2016

14. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

LCW found it strange at first that Hendrawan didn't threaten or cajole, but merely offered his advice and ask you to take it or leave-- I think he does the kind of coaching that Steen Pedersen suggests at mid-game intervals: get the players to concentrate on doing a few key things.

A guy like that, who doesn't bother socializing with his players, probably didn't bother playing politics to further his coaching career at BAM.

15. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

You might as well blame LD for going into retirement after the 2012 Olympics-- the Thomas cups test the overall depth and strength of men's team, and even defending champions Japan has now learnt to having just 1 or 2 star players is not enough.

blabl likes this.
  16. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

I've seen THW crumble when he was ahead, and it's even uglier than seeing CL or LD fail to produce their top form-- as least CL/LD still go for high risk shots, which still makes for an entertaining game when they lose.

But then again, the same can be said for Korea's 3rd MS, I've seen the kid play better-- but he's not quite a steady player yet.

blabl likes this.
  17. blabl

blabl Regular Member

@Forestal

This post is the post that I have posted earlier and now I put it here in response to what you have said. :)

18. blabl

blabl Regular Member

so congratulations to all the winners for today.

Uber Cup
    China win Chinese Taipei.
    Japan win Denmark.

Thomas Cup
    Denmark win Japan.
    Korea win China.

Lets all be happy and cheer for tonight's winners.

:):):):)

19. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    All we can say is that China did really well during the London Olympics cycle and poorly in this cycle.

20. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Thank you once again for being so honest here. Jeon Hyeok Jin to be honest is really not a steady player yet. :)