Yonex DUORA-10

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Cycril, Jul 1, 2015.

1. necrohiero

necrohiero Regular Member

Student
    Allegiance! Yes. That's it.

hazariel likes this.
  2. takumi4

takumi4 Regular Member

Hi guys, just to chip in a bit on those interested in getting expensive high end gear and the marketing that comes along with it.

I would like to point out that my observations here are based on my experience as a basketball coach for juniors. Basketball is my main sport and badminton is something I love.

I am aware that many people here have stated that gear does not make a player, skill does. This is absolutely true but this is by no means reason to harass or criticise expensive gear and the people who use it.

Many of my players wear Jordan signature shoes... but they are well aware that they do not play like Jordan. The shoes do not help them improve their game and neither do they protect their ankles better. In fact i recommend them Ektio shoes with built in braces to protect their ankles but only one of the players has taken this advice.

These Jordan shoes however do give them a sense of pride when they are playing. It also gives them character and confidence and this is where the purchase of such equipment is justified.

Their shoes may cost two to three times more than normal basketball shoes which may work just as well, at times even better. But it makes them happier wearing these Jordans. As a coach, I say if it makes you happy and if you can afford it then go for it.

The marketing aspect adds to this as well. Marketing raises the profile of the products which raises the price. If this helps raise the pleasure you get in using the said product then it is still money well spent.

Bear in mind, if you look a few pages back, I am the guy who commented that the LCW Duoras are too expensive for me... I would like to get them but I can't bear to part with so much money to get them. But I understand why people are willing to do this.

At the end of the day basketball, badminton, tennis, whatever it may be, is all about having fun. Even for me as a coach, I always remind myself and my players to not take the sport or ourselves too seriously.

There is a saying in sports that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good. For some people the truth can be said about how they would prefer to have gear than game... And there shouldn't be anything wrong with that.

My 2 cents

3. necrohiero

Student
    Off topic.. Do you have reviews of n99?

4. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    Over the last 10 years we have been blessed with watching four of the greatest mens singles players - all playing in the same era. It may be a long time before we see such class on court again. Yonex were right to give them the title of legends as there achievements will take some beating. They are also characters, something every sport needs.

Praveen Jordan was my favourite player at this years All Englands. His power and touch were superb. I noticed he was using NR900 which is my favourite racket out of the current Yonex range. It is not head light racket as some perceive. This is why Yonex is changing their description on their racket ranges.

In the UK, it is difficult to get players to wear badminton clothing for club night or in matches. Standards have dropped which makes selling branded clothing so much harder. 90% of club and league players have no idea who the badminton stars are - it's a very different culture from Asia.

Paul
    www.badminton-coach.co.uk

buibui2 likes this.
  5. jctai

jctai Regular Member

No. I only get to touch it, not play it.

6. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Of course people in Europe don't know much about stars of badminton. It is not on tv and the newspaper don't talk about it.

7. paulstewart64

Marketing Consultant
    that's true. Only badminton enthusiasts will find it on Youtube and live TV.

Most players want to play the game and not watch the game. This is why signature rackets don't sell as well in the UK.

Paul

8. necrohiero

Student
    Yeah. Wearing football jersey and buying them with players name, or wearing Messi shoes clearly doesn't make me a Messi.

It's allegiance, sense of belonging and support. I know that as a team sport these kinds of feeling could better be instilled in football. But nice try actually from Yonex, and some sense.. Actually Victor. (Li Ning maybe too from their Lin Dan series..).

N/B: from what i've heard Messi too does not use standard Adidas Messi boots. So why don't LCW, or any good pro player? I know it maybe adds to the debate again.. But.. It's the same principle.

.. To topic: I wish duora could really have head heavier version. Maybe not as heavy as zf2.. Kinda like Voltric 80 maybe?

9. paulstewart64

Marketing Consultant
    the challenge with making the racket with a heavier head is that is causes confusion in the market. Players associate Voltric with head heavy and Yonex have historically been the best at differentiating their rackets which makes it easier for retailers to understand and sell them. It also makes it easier for players to select.

Paul

10. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Except when they made a head-heavy Nanoray... you all know the one:).

11. xiaoqiao

xiaoqiao Regular Member

^Victor fanboy, this is a warning to stay back at your victor fanboy base, unless you want another war to start.

Nanorays are generally headlight. Nr900 is probably the least headlight=tied with the NRSP. I disagree with the comment Nanoray 900 is not headlight- the frame is much thicker on the bottom than on the top, and thus I'm calling it headlight. Your definition of headlight in my book (NS9900) is simply too headlight, and jump smashes will never break through (yeah maybe except fu haifeng) from the baseline for people using those rackets. I believe in the current range with victor, yy and li ning, nanoray 900 is one of the head lightest rackets that are available in the top end selection.

12. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    @xiaoqiao
    As said, Yonex don't label the NR900 as headlight.

Attached Files:

13. xiaoqiao

xiaoqiao Regular Member

Yeah, so? Yonex can call it even balance as well. It's headlight in my book because the design looks headlight, and it is relatively headlight compared to other top end models.

14. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    There are plenty of actual headlight rackets in the high end selection, most of which are difficult to obtain here in the UK; the NR900 might be a bit head light for a Voltric when you compare it to the ZF2 or something, but it's just... not headlight.

The Duora 77 and 07 are supposed to be a bit more headlight, the former is more towards even balance but the 07 looks to be really head light.

15. xiaoqiao

xiaoqiao Regular Member

Those guys have hardly been released. 77 is not top end, 07 is. The description for 07 says all around model (suggesting even). I can't find a racket matrix for that.
    But yeah, if there are plenty you can give me more examples.

16. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    VT5
    Nanoray 750 and 700
    Arcsaber FB

For the record, here's the Duora matrix.

Attached Files:

kwun likes this.
  17. paulstewart64

Marketing Consultant
    The other Duora rackets in the range were introduced at the All Englands. It was a pleasant surprise to see more rackets in the range considering we were only aware of the 07 from this forum.

Paul

18. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Oh and of course, with people reporting it being lighter, the Bluora 10.

kwun likes this.
  19. visor

visor Regular Member

Mark was referring to NR ZSpeed...

20. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Made me chuckle that they list the NR ZSP as having solid feeling.