2016 YONEX ALL ENGLAND Open SSP - FINALS (13th March)

Discussion in 'German / All England / Swiss Open 2016' started by Nine Tailed Fox, Mar 12, 2016.

1. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer

2. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Correction....actually it was 17-17 before the Red Card came out. Taking away this red card thingie, WSX would be leading 19-18, not 19-19.
    Re 'vastly experienced veterans like LD could get just get over it quickly and move on', err...I think LD will argue and if getting a favorable response, LD will practise his javelin throw like he did in KOR....LOL

3. tsae75

tsae75 Regular Member

Developer
    double post

#663 tsae75, Mar 15, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Cai Yun has an article that analysed/summarize the AE final match by match from the technical point of view. very good read and provide a lot of insight from a very experience professional player. it is in Chinese though. I will try to translate it later today (but please don't stop you from doing it)

http://sports.qq.com/a/20160315/042333.htm

5. tsae75

tsae75 Regular Member

Developer
    First, I'm surprised you called me a freak and racist for voicing my view and the moderator allowed it. You didn't even give reasons why you disagree with what I said.

Second, now that WSX also share similar view as me are you going to call her a freak or a racist too? You have to call a spade a spade and can't back out now.*

Third, if I'm a freak or racist, what would you call someone like Donald Trump? He could be the next POTUS and the Americans loved him a lot. Are you also going to call all the Americans who support Trump's policy freaks and racists now too?

Fourth, Japan is a Western Ally and definitely more aligned with the US politically than China ever was after WW2. This is a historical fact. Please don't embarrass yourself and waste everyome's time trying to argue not.*

But we digress - my main focus was on the Marin - NO match incident. However, I'd like to take this opportunity to also highlight the dubious double service fault on China in the Xue Song - Viktor match at the most crucial moment as another case in point.

Last, please don't harbor any hard feelings as my post is not directed at anyone on this forum in particular (except at the umpire). But this is the way I am and think - I am just offering a different perspective and you are free to disagree or ignore my post. I won't be offended.

Peace.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Gentlemen, please tone it down. no need to call people names. everyone is entitled to their own opinion, we need to read and appreciate different people's point of view. if you cannot agree, then simply agree to disagree.

7. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Oh no. This thread must live.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    a little controversy is like fire in a fireplace, as long we don't add too much fuel and fan it too hard, it will give us warmth until the morning. otherwise, it will overspill and burn down the house.

9. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    sounds like Dalai Lama. :)

10. phihag

phihag Regular Member

During my simulation runs, I finally managed to watch the match. If anything, this umpire is exceptionally lenient. For reference, in COCTales 06, BWF Umpire Assessor Peter Ganes laid out an example warning ladder before the first yellow card. That warning ladder contains 4 steps. I noted every formal warning to Wang Shixian in the All England Finals (timecodes of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFgyrlsB1Ng):

In other words, the umpire warned Wang Shixian 26 times before the yellow card, and another 4 times before the red card!

By no stretch of the imagination can either the yellow or red card be called surprising or unfounded. Wang Shixian had plenty of time to hurry up. She was warned 31 times before the final red card. 31 warnings is probably a record! In fact, a stricter umpire would probably have called in the referee for potential disqualification during the third game, after having shown a yellow and 2 red cards during the first two games.

Also note how the commentators bemoaned the time wasting and anticipated the card at 45:30, 48:31, 1:11:03, 1:14:10 and 1:40:21.

As a spectator, I detest long delays in between rallies. Umpires must have tools to reign in these delays. This umpire was as lenient as possible. Based on this clear-cut data, I cannot fathom how anyone who has seen the match seriously thinks the umpire would be biased against Wang Shixian.

#670 phihag, Mar 15, 2016
  11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    thank you for the analysis, [MENTION=115949]phihag[/MENTION]

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i wonder what's the average number of warnings players get per match?

13. phihag

phihag Regular Member

At national levels, it's rare that you have to warn each side more than once or twice. Then again, at national levels we rarely see cards in the first place; many umpires much much more experienced then myself have never or only once used a card at all.

My personal record is six warnings (over a whole match, at international Junior levels), after which I took the yellow card out of my pocket and laid it out in front of me - that got the player in question to hurry up.

At international levels, delay is widespread, and so are warnings. For reference, Nozomi Okuhara who delayed a lot as well in this match, had 3 warnings directed at her by my count.

However, you cannot simply just add up the number of warnings. The level (announcing the score again is the first, "Play" the second, anything else the third/fourth) and timing matters as well. If an umpire has to warn a player during the final two points of each game, and the player apologizes after each warning, a card is quite unlikely. If however, the player goes to towel down after receiving a yellow card for delay, well, see for yourself.

#673 phihag, Mar 15, 2016
  14. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I did not underline that when WSX said that the impires were targeting the CHN team, it was right after the match (the article says), while when she said that she has no regret and want to learn from the incident, it was later on.
    So it is probably out of frustration and angriness, perhaps at herself, that WSX said she was treated unfairly.

#674 renbo, Mar 15, 2016
  15. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Thanks [MENTION=115949]phihag[/MENTION] for the input. It must have been tedious work.

16. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Excellent analysis. Informative.

17. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Nice to see the rock solid evidence presented. Even with this though, people will still think WSX was treated harshly etc. Anyway, the fact is that Okuhara won. History will record that, and not the WSX red card!

18. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

History will remember that red card more than Anything else. Thanks to Lin Dan, people will have something else to talk about too.

19. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

History will remember the red card more than anything else? Nice joke man hehe.

20. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Good that Wang Shixian exposed the corrupt umpire in the media. ''The umpire targeted the CHN team'' will most probably be covered in Chinese Media. What will be CBA's reaction ? BWF vs CBA !!! I'm lovin it.