How come Lee Chong Wei did not make it ?

Discussion in 'BWF Destination Dubai World SS Finals 2015' started by Airos, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

First round exit gives you 2660 pts in SSP Rankings.

Champion gets 11000 pts.........'So being at the next round' is obviously more rewarding.What's the problem? Champion gets 5x more points....

The only reason LCW was unable to qualify is because of his Ban......Get over it,people...

The current system is perfect..............If you are a top player and you have played atleast 10 SS,no one can stop you from qualifying.....

And if you are losing in Round 1 in each SS,then You are not a top player........

Add to it.....There is a even a Wild Card for SSF..........So,if you are one of those players 'who turns up or play their best only in the Biggest Tournaments'.....aka win World Championships or Olympics.......You will be able to play..................So,BWF is encouraging players to win too as someone mentioned here...............

I repeat this system is perfect

The only thing we can complain is about the schedule of SS............Those two SS in two weeks..... makes Badminton look more like a semi-pro sport........................If a change has to be made,change this and give players(top) some breathing time.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    [MENTION=119473]Airos[/MENTION], tennis built up their grand slams way before in time. There is no point in setting up a world championship. Badminton started its world championships in 1977 with the world body.

Super series premier concept has only been around recently and Super Series Premier hosts can change! Have a look at wiki for the information. So, it is difficult to argue that they have a lot of history.

On a seperate note, players used to be given a bonus points allocation if they beat a seeded player- this was abolished many years ago.

3. renbo

renbo Regular Member

First round exit means no victory for top 32 players. It should be 0 points. The only reason they give points is to favour participation.

4. ibelieveindevil

ibelieveindevil Regular Member

The thing is, this is a tournament to add on to SS series. It carries the same points as SSP, although certainly there is something more.

This is not WC, so points from gp n others not added in. This event also helps to promote viewership of other Ss tournament, as it makes the players participation important.

5. Airos

Airos Regular Member

What I meant was that the honour of SSP is given to tournaments with a lot of prestige and history.
    The term SSP may be new, but the events themselves are not.
    All England- started 1899
    Denmark- started 1935
    Malaysia -started 1937
    And these events carried a lot of prestige before the world championship was introduced.
    Indonesia Open and China Open got the honour due to the revered badminton history of the host countries.

In case of tennis, the open era as we know it today started only in 1968.

This is just my personal opinion, like I said.

6. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    It isn't perfect as someone who lose in r1 and r2, can qualify while someone who get numerous titles may not qualify

I think the Olympiade medal system should be adopted, There is no point in Gold, silver and bronze. No matter how much silver and bronze you win, without a gold, you will still be below a country with just a single gold medal

I think points should be like this

Champion
    Runner Up
    SF
    QF
    R2
    R1

So the above one will count. No matter how many Runner ups someone have, if someone who has just played once in an SS and be the champion, then he/she/they will be above you.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

1st round points system rewards qualifiers who have had to play 2 matches to reach the 1st round.

#27 Cheung, Dec 13, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
  8. yamsyams

yamsyams Regular Member

I'd sooner wish that they abolish the nation quota on World Champs then (seeing Olympics may have to follow some other IOC guidelines). Isn't it even more ridiculous that a player already in the top 8/16/etc can't qualify due to the max number of players being filled?

9. Nine Tailed Fox

LOL.........If you want to make badminton a joke sport,then why not...

If 'A' has reached 12 Finals...and 'B' has won One SS but got knocked out in the first round in remaining 11 SS...

So,by your criteria...

B will qualify over A............Good Luck with your rule....

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Are there any other sports which have this system?

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Can't agree with you more, players should not be punished just because he or she has too many teammates in the top 8/16. I mean the poor fellow's career is at stake and through no fault of his/hers they are denied equal opportunities and treatment as everyone else in other nations/MAs, and to think that wild cards are awarded to players ranked way below who would never qualify otherwise.

While I understand the fear that dominance by any one nation/MA may 'kill' the sport but limiting the maximum quota to only two per nation/MA as for the Olympics is still too much despite other understandable considerations. As for the WC, it is to determine the best player of the year, therefore all who qualified should be allowed to compete, and wild cards should be freely used to include any player(s) deemed as worthy challengers but technically failed to get in such as due to injury layoff, hiatus for personal reasons,including the semi-retired or just making a comeback, the World Junior Champs,and suchlike.

Last but not least, the defending or reigning world champion ought to have automatic qualification regardless of his/her world ranking.

12. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Yes I realised that so I mentioned the top 32 players. Actually the global ranking system gives rewards to the already-established players, giving them points even though they don't win, while qualifiers have to battle with uncertain rewards. No system's perfect I suppose. But a perhaps inevitable shortcoming of the global ranking system do not have to be reproduced for the SS Final, which is very special with its round robin system. The meaning of this tournament, on invitation, is obviously to select the elite. But anyway, we had a good tournament.

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I'm inclined to agree with you. Consistency should be one of the key factors, winning only one title and losing the rest in early rounds just doesn't cut it.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

As for Olympics, we discussed this before. Even other sports have a country quota - judo can only have one representative in the weight category. Athletics I think is three (from memory) but individual events might differ.

However, for the World Championships I agree should be open to the best players on points and not for one player who wins one tournament and gets knocked out or doesn't play in the others. I think some consistency is rewarded but not just one or two wins. In the end, a points system equalises some of the inequalities of variable results....errrr... did that make sense? :p

15. Kennyb

Kennyb Regular Member

Plus 1 on that too.

I remember reading an interview that Lin Dan had at this year's All England and he mentioned that the sport needs to change and be more individual based rather than country based.

Take tennis for example. During the 90s you had at least 5 US players that were in the top 10 (Sampras, Chang, Agassi, Courier, Martin) and no one said anything about it. I think the BWF need to take that approach and it might be a good thing for them.

16. renbo

renbo Regular Member

It is not just the entry into tournaments that would have to be changed if we want a more individual sport. The nation limitation just reflect that our beloved sport is governed by the national federations, and in many countries fans regards the players as representing their nation.

17. Airos

Airos Regular Member

I agree with this.

Given that this is actually the olympic system, I guess olympics is a joke event too?:rolleyes:

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

[MENTION=119473]Airos[/MENTION]

So, are there other sports which follow this example? It will make your opinion more convincing.

Could you explain what exactly the Olympic system this is?? As far as I am aware, qualification for the Olympics is based on a points system. You have to gain ranking points to qualify and it is not based on the absolute number of wins of SuperSeries tournaments that you have implied it is.

19. Nine Tailed Fox

Dumbest post I have ever read on this forum.

20. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    lcw was suspended for about 9 months due to a failed drug test @ the 2014 world championships. did not resume play until june 2015.