Which players have you met?

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Tybalt, Sep 29, 2014.

1. FeatherDance

FeatherDance Regular Member

Morten Frost: Took a photo while pretending to be co-commentating with him in the commentators seat. I have seen videos of him playing and while he's a legend, what really got me excited was his commentating. When he spoke with that all-too-familiar tone and accent, my friends and I were thinking "Wow, that's just like on TV!". Best shot so far, even got my friends on facebook to believe I was on commentating duty. :D Anyway, Morten Frost is a really down to earth and cool guy.

Took a photo with Joachim Fischer and while I had a chat with Pedersen and Juhl (who were with Fischer), they didn't want to take photos at the time and said they'll be back after the game. However only Fischer came back.

I've only watched 2 tournaments, so fairly limited opportunities. However I do plan to take up umpiring to increase my chances. I badly wanted to take photos with Malaysian players (even juniors) at the time but they seemed to have disappeared in the late rounds ;) . The Danish folk were sporting in this tournament contrary to the recent shenanigans. There was a fan who frequently shouted "I love you Juhl!" throughout a match, and since there were no Danish in the stadium (except the ones playing ofc), his side of the crowd decided to make things more even by cheering "Let's go Denmark! Let's go!". After the match Juhl was throwing items randomly into the crowd, but walked right up to him and practically gave him her wrist ban. That was sooo sweet. Some of my friends were able to take photos with the Japanese players and Lee Hyun Il though.

Sumanth99 and Cheung like this.
  2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Nice one, you don't have the other photos?

3. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Sounds OK to me...
    Even I find LD a lil arrogant and i also relate to the thing you said about CM feels the same for Masha in tennis although I am a big fan of her!!
    Its upto you whatever you think about them and its your will whether you support them or npt

4. Makkem_1

Makkem_1 Regular Member

I met Lee Chong Wei at an exhibition event in Leicester, UK before the All-England. If you were lucky in a raffle you could get to play a doubles with one of the exhibition players. I wasn't lucky but I decided to cheekily ask him if he wanted to play a few points singles haha. He kinda looked at me like he was saying "are you suicidal?". I think he might have humoured me but then he got called over to the autograph stand. But he come over afterward for a few words which shows what a great guy he is.

What was crazy was when I went to QF day in the All England and the stadium was full. He had this great match with Taufik Hidayat which was basically why the place was sold out. I was sitting far to the back of the arena and after his match he sneaked in anonymously. He was so low profile that only a handful of people noticed him - he wanted to watch Wong Mew Choo play her match but because there was a lot of publicity at that time about whether they were a couple, he decided to sit somewhere where nobody would remark upon it. Anyway, he recognised me and come over and said hi, and we ended up sitting watching WMC match and chatting. At the end he said 'still owe you that game of singles'. I still haven't collected it though, maybe next all england. LCW is a very humble and self-effacing guy, at odds with the fact that he is a megastar i think he sees himself as no different to anyone else, just a 'working joe' . I have always tried to emulate his discipline on the court and respect for other players and people both on it and off it.

I was also lucky enough to play half court singles against Rexy Mainaky. (this was at another exhibition event) a few years before that and i put a couple of smashes past him. (Haha it was remembering that which made me dare to challenge LCW - I wanted to see if i could get him to dive around.:p) Rexy seems like a bit of a larger-than-life character - he had a lot of advice (and sometimes quite frank and brutal criticism for my play too) and was complimentary as well, which was a really great experience.

#44 Makkem_1, Oct 30, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  5. racketman123

racketman123 Regular Member

Dentist in training...
    Wow, two incredible experiences.
    So glad LCW is like I imagine him to be :)

Sumanth99 and Baddie lover like this.
  6. DaveZZ79

DaveZZ79 Regular Member

Collages of most of my player pictures:
    Collage1.jpg Collage2.jpg

Mostly Chinese and Thai players, but also some European ones.

Can you name them all? :D

#46 DaveZZ79, Nov 1, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
    nilesh123 likes this.
  7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

An enviable collage you have there, DaveZZ79.

8. - иεvvεи٭т -ツ

- иεvvεи٭т -ツ Regular Member

Wizard / Chief Potato
    Thought i'd share a little story... just want to say I like LCW and don't have anything against him but just to reveal another side I experienced.

I was staying in Berjaya Time Square hotel last year and after LCW won in the finals me and a friend headed back to the hotel and were surprised to see him standing outside the lifts talking to Tago.

I thought it would be an awesome opportunity given his win to get a photo with the man... asked him nicely and eveything but he simply said "sorry I'm busy ATM."

Both of us plus some random lady took the lifts up with him and I was really tempted to ask him again but my friend sort of said just let it go. The whole ride up he was just texting and scrolling through his phone, and we ended up getting off on the same floor as him. Dunno how he was busy; and I'm not saying he was obliged to do anything, but it wasn't a bad time... so was really taken aback by his response.

Definitely surprised given how everyone says he's really nice and always obliges to photos etc. If I had caught him on a bad day or if he was in a rush or something, no worries I understand. But we asked him straight after he finished his conversation with Tago as we were going into the lift with him. It was an awkward ride up. :(

#48 - иεvvεи٭т -ツ, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  9. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

I feel for you.Hope your next experience is better :)

Italian Football Legend, Alessandro Del Piero once said:

""Players need to stop & take pictures with fans, for you its one second, for them its a lifetime."

10. - иεvvεи٭т -ツ

- иεvvεи٭т -ツ Regular Member

Wizard / Chief Potato
    :D Yeah... It's ok I got pics with the Korean, Jap and Chinese players so all good. But that would have been the icing on the cake. Surprisingly the Chinese players were the most approachable from all the countries, and the Japanese were all pretty good nice about it. Some of the Korean girls wouldn't even reply, they just put their hand out and then ignore you, but the guys were all great... minus LYD.

11. DaveZZ79

DaveZZ79 Regular Member

Thanks. Hoping to get many more in the future.

As an umpire I wouldn't ask players to have their picture taken with me, but as long as I'm still only line judging them I don't really have such qualms. I am a professional first, a fan second.

12. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    At least he said the word "Sorry, ....". Maybe he needs to send some urgent text?

13. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I think because you were not in the stadium anymore. If I was a big star, I would readily answer to all fans' demands in the gym, but once out, at the hotel or else, I would return to my private life and be more reserved about fans.

14. baddiebaddie

baddiebaddie Regular Member

Rexy is a good coach. He did a lot of good for the Philippine Team when they hired him. I see Minarti Timur (Silver Medalist, WD, Sydney 2000) around a lot because she coaches people at my local club. Apparently Taufik Hidayat comes to my club to train with the Badminton Federation Chairman several times a year but I never get the chance to catch him. I sometimes train with Paul Vivas (or as he's known around here, Nova89) and Ronel Estanislao who are #52 and #54 in MD worldwide, respectively. Great guys but I can never keep up when they play all out, lol. Honestly though, the only player I fangirl over is TH because I absolutely love his technique so I'll try to be there next time he trains here.

15. Makkem_1

Makkem_1 Regular Member

That's utterly awesome, playing with those guys. Envy that. I think i once played against a HK national MS player - it was a uni tournament and he was visiting a friend at my uni. I turned up late to the start of the tournament, so they played a joke on me taking my seeding away and putting me up against him in the first round. I was warming up against him and thinking he looks a bit tasty, i still had no idea what I was up against, and I got my ass handed to me 21-9. I fought my heart out but i have never been out of my depth so badly. Afterwards somebody told me he was a HK national player and i felt a lot better about my loss. :) I wish i knew for sure who that was. I think it was Ng Ka Long - plays the exact same style and looks like him - but but it wouldn't have surprised me if he was just another really good county player there. Hope it was him because he's a rising star now. :p

I'd have loved to see Taufik too. The match i saw him play against LCW in the All England was the most exciting match I ever saw live. His smashes were huge, they sounded like a rifle.

Another funny story, I met Michelle Li of Canada at an AE. I didn't have a clue who she was at the time, just a Canada player just ended up sitting next to her. I am embarrassed to say I didn't have a clue how awesome a player she is I was just swooning because she is also seriously beautiful. Haha I was a tongue tied idiot. :p

16. Makkem_1

Makkem_1 Regular Member

Yea its a pity, but I reckon you just got unlucky. I bet he was texting his wife lol, they are the kind of texts you can't leave unanswered unless you want to sleep on the couch!

Baddie lover likes this.
  17. Makkem_1

Makkem_1 Regular Member

@ qidong: Yea its a pity, but I reckon you just got unlucky. I bet he was texting his wife lol, they are the kind of texts you can't leave unanswered unless you want to sleep on the couch!

18. necrohiero

necrohiero Regular Member

Student
    I met, chatted, and share a beer and food with indonesian mixed doubles team (debby, praveen, Gloria, Edi Subaktiar, and their coach Nova Widianto). Quite an experience really. Chatted also with them and Gillian Clarke.

Chatted with Gabby Adcock (Chris was busy).. took photos with Takeshi Kamura and keigo sonoda. And also Ivan Sozonov and Vladimir Ivanov.

What I noticed was.. The Indonesians were... A bit.. I don't know... Strange in how they act. Like kids? Not in a bad way.. But cought me unexpected. They were a bit different from how Gabby or the Japanese players act..

I rode the player's bus by chance.. And it is strange. The Japanese players are much more reserved and separate themselves in the bus (Keigo even watched Korean drama while in the bus). The English players still talk about the matches, and the Indonesians talks.. But not about badminton at all. It's like.. Three different perspective..

19. mb111

mb111 Regular Member

Information Technology
    Believe it or not, this is the first time I bumped into this topic.
    I met Wong Choong Hann and Lee Wan Wah when they visited Toronto Humber College for Badminton Exhibition (organized by Mandarin Badminton) in Aug 2011.
    Both are friendly and approachable.

20. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

Wow. Found this thread today only. So many posters have seen many top players from close view, even talked with them and took pics.

I went to first Indian Super Series in 2011 which was held in New Delhi. Saw matches from second round till final. Saina Nehwal lost to Ai Goto in first round if I remember correctly. In 2011, she was already a darling of India. So next day, I along with my academy mate and his mother saw Saina and her mother talking to two-three people. My friend had a pic with her. I completely froze there lol, couldn't imagine she was in front of me. Saina's mother is so kind, she told me in Hindi " sharmaa Kyu rahe ho, aa jaao beta" meaning " why are you being so shy, come on son " and smiled at me. My friend's mother clicked the pic of me with Saina. Too bad, I wasn't able to get that pic later.

Then next day I went to Yonex outlet inside Siri Fort Stadium. Saw Sourabh Verma (who just lost 21-7 both games iirc to LCW in QF) , Guru Sai Dutt and other domestic female players. Had autographs of Guru Sai and Sourabh Verma on my passes.

This year, I'll try to go there again. It would be my second India open experience. Hopefully, will get to click pics with some top players and Gill.

rajat_remar, Sumanth99 and Cheung like this.