TOTAL BWF WORLD Championships 2015-Day 7(16th August 2016)- FINALS

Discussion in 'World Championships 2015' started by blabl, Aug 15, 2015.

1. arjevo

arjevo Regular Member

student
    everybody is so busy praising zhao yunlei that they forgot tian qing has also won a gold. .tian qing is such a solid player from baseline and sets zhao yunlei time and again to finish off the rally. .infact, tian qing is a better mover on the court of the two. .she covers so many shots which are actually zhao yunlei's to take but instead tian qing has to take them simply because zhao doesn't even move or reacts to them so often. .so kindly give a little more credit to tian qing as well, a doubles match can never be won without a good doubles partner.

2. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

A repeat World Champion of Copenhagen 2014 except Men's Doubles discipline. First and last match were pretty predictable as Zhang/Zhao and Ahsan/Setiawan are one class above their final opponents. INA best MD regained their 2013 world title, a pride for INA Independence Day tomorrow.

WD was the longest duration match that finished by rubber games, first set was thrilling one as Tian/Zhao woke up to change tactic, Danish combo started tired at deciding game. Carolina Marin is strongest candidate to claim gold in Rio next year with good court coverage, hard attacking shots and fighting spirit, her second world title will boost badminton popularity in Spain.

Chen Long displayed supreme form against Lee Chong Wei, he threw back Lee's smashes with usual superb defence, delicate netplay also counter attack his archrival. Yang Yang, the last China MS won gold medal in Jakarta WC 1989, a year that Chen Long was born then 26 years later the Dragon did it. Istora Senayan is known as the most difficult arena for Chinese MS player but he defied all odds this time.

Congrats to all medalists :)

3. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

haha, how can he have a chance to beat LCW before he could beat everyone else en route to finals?
    given XXZ standing next to you, could you do the same to Axelson, KM, and finally LCW? don't forget LCW also have coaches to listen to, like MF now...

4. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Can't say I disagree one bit :D looking forward to seeing what Axelsen and Momota can do against those 2 giants.

5. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

he's the one gave most trouble to the best badminton player but not really frustrated him... but u r rite that he is the best msia badminton athlete, this is the only talking point

6. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

sorry double posted, due to time shifting in posting...

7. rajat_remar

rajat_remar Regular Member

I've seen our fellow member blabl dedicating songs to some players. So continuing that trend, I dedicate this song to all the players who were vanquished in the tournament (esp. SN, LXR and LCW).

Skyscraper by Demi Lovato​

Skies are crying, I am watching
    Catching tear drops in my hands
    Only silence as it's ending
    Like we never had a chance
    Do you have to make me feel like
    There's nothing left of me?

You can take everything I have
    You can break everything I am
    Like I'm made of glass
    Like I'm made of paper
    Go on and try to tear me down
    I will be rising from the ground
    Like a skyscraper
    Like a skyscraper​

8. syntaxerror

syntaxerror Regular Member

Well I do put Chen Long quite distinctly above the rest of the MS field right now. This year he is dominating the Super Series circuit like LCW at his prime, and now has a WC to add to that.

He did not drop a game this tournament, and quite easily disposed of Kento Momota and Lee Chong Wei. Right now CL is the player with the biggest X on his back. Because he is No.1, players (especially those at the highest level) are trained to compete with him. It is unfair to say CL was coached against LCW because the same applies to all the opponents CL faces. CL's game has evolved very well since 2012 and has become much more multifaceted.

9. amleto

amleto Regular Member

This tournament proves the decline of LD and serves further evidence of LCW's tactical/psychological frailties in the biggest matches. LCW has failed too many times now for it to be 'unlucky'. He wont win at the next Olympics unless someone else does the hard work for him (knock out CL).

CL is definitely top of the pile.

10. jdileo

jdileo Regular Member

Wow I got it right! :D

11. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    Wow.. I feels so sad for datuk LCW.. but this one is really for CL, he played superbly and I feel that LCW couldn't think another way to stop CL attacking style today

12. Makkem_1

Makkem_1 Regular Member

Chen long was very very good. Has all the advantages of the big players and the speed of the little players. Because he's big if he reads your shots, you're dead: he'll be across in one huge stride and whip it up the line... cue Lee CW scrambling like mad to get behind it. His own attack is lethal. Lee CW needs to get a game plan for the olympics specifically for CL. Forget the rest.

Focus on getting deceptive, hard to read, not this metronomic high-percentage playing style that works against everyone else. Its a mentality thing as much as having the shots. Its what your used to doing day in day out. LCW got sussed today and as a fan, it was a painful watch. I think China's players are taught to fend for themselves, to think. I think Lee CW listens to his coaches and executes what they tell him. Lin Dan was a smart player. Chen Long has become a lot more smart and self reliant. I hope Morten Frost gets a free hand with LCW for one last throw of the dice.

Over his career, i've admired LCW for his humbleness, his never-say die attitude, the courage of taking terrible defeats in the important occasions on the chin and coming back for more. And that he has achieved a lot. I remember when he was a talented player that couldn't get out of the QF of the all england, he had a huge mental block there: but then he finally got a break, got a final against Tago, won and thereafter was the king of the Superseries, and beat all the big names at the AE in finals. We'll miss the hell out of him when he retires and give him credit - even all the people who've been so destructively critical. We wouldn't rate Lin Dan as the greatest ever without LCW because LD would have got bored of beating mediocre stiffs and retired a few years ago. Although you couldn't help knowing the way it was going to go, the LD/ LCW battles were utterly compelling wars of 2 guys just beating the hell out of each other for an hour and a half.

13. Makkem_1

Makkem_1 Regular Member

Nice of CL to show respect. He seems a humble, likeable guy. But Chen Long was superior today, not lucky though. I got frustrated after the great start LCW made he just fizzled out of ideas. The way he started: bright, aggressive, deceptive was the right idea. IDK, maybe it was too far out of his comfort zone to play like that the whole match. But CL is awesome now, no weaknesses. Can't quite believe its the same one-dimensional guy that was getting whipped by LCW a few years ago.

14. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Good stuff Ahsan/Setiawan! Seems they can't lose the "big games". May be the most clutch MD pair of all time.

15. racketman123

racketman123 Regular Member

Dentist in training...
    And then there's us LYD/YYS fans ... :(

16. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Yes, I'm a huge fan of Ahsan/Setiawan and really happy they beat LYD/YYS in the semi-finals (that was the true "final"). But I really do feel that LYD deserves a major MD gold.

17. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

I seriously believe that Ahsan/Setiawan are the reason why China MD are somewhat in ruins. They caused the split of the great CY/FHF, and since then, China have never really recovered. China's reliance on supreme hard work doesn't pay off against a pair like Ahsan/Setiawan. You have to have some incredible talent for instinctive 50/50 play. I seriously don't know how Ahsan/Setiawan can be countered. The rest of the MD world are probably resigned to waiting for Setiawan to retire - he's nearly 31 years old now, and I reckon he's already past his best, but still good enough.

18. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

You do realize that both, Fu Haifeng/Zhang Nan and LYD/YYS have a positive h2h against these guys? It's mostly the major tournaments (WC, Asian Games) they prevail and even then it are close battles. So it's not like they a completely dominant and unbeatable.

Don't get me wrong, they (HS/MA) are an excellent pair and had their noses in front in the last big tournaments, but I do find the statement that all other MD pairs are inferior and 'in ruins' a little exaggerated.

#958 Rob3rt, Aug 16, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  19. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

I don't think it's exaggerated. The majors are all that counts ultimately. And Ahsan/Setiawan show up when it matters. I can't think of what major they haven't won since 2013 that they participated in.

20. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Seriously, I'm sure LYD would trade the positive H2H for a win in that Asian Games final or this year's World Champs semi-final. It's incredible that such a great player like LYD doesn't have a major in the MD.

The crazy thing is that LYD is only 26 still, and has a few more chances to get there. Olympics 2016 and World Champs 2017 should be his next goals.