Goh Jin Wei

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by bengyeam, Jun 14, 2015.

1. bengyeam

bengyeam Regular Member

Another new star to shine

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    A bit of an introduction would be pretty helpful. How about a short biography? Boy or girl? Etc.

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I just realised Goh Jin Wei is a 15-yr -old girl, small built, short, but fast in movement and court coverage. Managed to catch her match with the fancied, older and much more experienced THA opponent, Nichaon Jindapon, in the WS quarterfinals of the SEA Games on youtube earlier today, won by the teenager in two straight sets, 21-16, 23-21.

Agree with the OP (some more biodata will be helpful) that Goh Jn Wei is an upcoming rising teen star in the making. Possibly, the future of MAS WS in her hands. Tomorrow she faces another promising teenager, Hanna Ramadhini of INA, in the semifinals. The favourite to take the SEA Games WS crown looks to be Busanan Ongbumrungpan of THA in the absence of Intanon Ratchanok who only played in the team event. However, BO's semifinal Viet opponent, Vu Thi Trang, should not be discounted or underestimated, imho.

We'll see how far GJW can go from here but I've no doubt she will be one of the main contenders for the WJC this year November.

4. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Went online to search for goh Jin Wei particulars and found this news online. Hence I will post it here.

5. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Singapore’s habit of poaching athletes — Chua Chin Leng Published: 18 November 2012 9:52 AM NOV 18 — “Singapore tried to poach Malaysian badminton star” or so read a recent Sports headline. The correspondent, Terrence Voon, was writing about a Malaysian claim that Singapore approached a young Penang badminton player, Goh Jin Wei, 12, with a scholarship offer that would have seen the youngster supported right up to university. The offer was so attractive that her mother was on the verge of accepting before BAM (Badminton Association of Malaysia) stepped in to block the deal. Goh Jin Wei is one of Malaysia’s brightest badminton talents and Malaysia is sore over it. Poaching is not a good word as in the case of illegal poaching of protected or endangered species of animals. It is still more polite than stealing. Whatever, it is not a nice thing to do as the intent and purpose are not good nor sportsman-like. And to go poaching for sportsmen is kind of a contradiction, a demeaning way of achieving sports excellence. What is Singapore trying to achieve by going all over the world to poach or lure foreign sporting talents to don Singapore colours, to win medals, to do the country proud? And the sickening thing is that many Singaporeans are not a least bit proud of such tactics and achievements. A nicer way, a commercial way of doing it would be simply to put up a big advertisement to the world that we are willing to pay good money for top sporting talents. We simply buy them, with our money, something we have plenty to throw around. Incidentally, how much money have we thrown to bring all the sporting talents to play or represent us? It is not just money spent on the sports talents, their allowance, training, income, and their living expense, their awards, medicare etc etc. There is the whole machinery of scouting talents, some MPs were so proud of their trips to pick our table tennis players, their expenses, the organisation structure to monitor, to keep track,and to go and poach these talents. It all costs money. The government has shown great interest in football talents, table tennis and badminton players, athletes and their coaches and what not. How much has been spent so far to fix the cravings of some people who think these talents are important and will being glory, instead of shame, to us, to do us proud and not otherwise, to rally the people together, to have something to cheer and clap about, and not something divisive and to be sneered at by the people? For the same money, if they were to bundle it into a nice big carrot for our own natives, would it not be big enough to have our own talents inspired and tempted by the money, to want to excel in sports, for a bite of the cherry? Money is a great motivator, and so is greed. Make the sporting talents feel the temptation of greed and money and they will put in the effort for it. A little boy or girl in a small village in some far corner of the world is no different from another one in a corner of our HDB flats. Give them the incentives and encouragement and they too can square up to be world-class athletes. Throw them the money, show them the money to be professionals, to devote a lifetime to sports. And forget about wanting to score straight as in PSLE and wanting to be tops in sports as well. And forget about a holistic education wanting to be everything and ending up as nothing. And forget about wanting to excel in education and wanting to spend time mixing with Ah Kow, Ahmad and Muthusamy to know how they feel and their exciting pursuits as little gangsters. Come to think of it, the Ah Kows, Ahmads and Muthusamys could be very good sports talents if only they know that there is plenty of money to be made playing sports with no schools. — TR Emeritus

6. blabl

blabl Regular Member

To be honest I am personally very impressed with this girl performance. Indeed be is only 15 years old and she has already started to show her true colours. I believe in future she is definitely the star player to be reckon with. With such good talent who would not want to have this kind of player? She also created history by being the youngest player to play in senior tournaments and also sea games.

7. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Okay a little big about her personal details. She is born in Penang and has been raised up in Penang since young. She has been representing her school to play in badminton tournaments since young. Hence her talent and ability to play has been spotted since young. Hence lots of countries around the world knew about her talents. During a recent tournament in year 2012 she has been offered a scholarship to study in Singapore sports school due to her sporting talents. She was just about to accept the offer because quite a lot of Malaysian badminton players originally born in Penang, Malaysia have also accepted the offer to study in Singapore sports school. However, she changed her mind later. She is now studying in bukit jail sports school in Malaysia under scholarship too. I found this online together with her personal particulars online. Since many people will be interested I have decided to share it here.

8. ah_lim

ah_lim Regular Member

I think Morten Frost saw the talent in her, thats why she has been playing in senior circuit. Good for her, I wouldn't say she made it, unpolished gem still needs a lot of hardwork, hope she will make it one day.

Thank god she didn't end up in Singapore. So far all Singapore does is turned the first class talent into so so player. Too rich to let their own kids play sport, but want glory for country, no problem, buy foreign kids from poor neighbouring country.

9. indrg

indrg Regular Member

Let's if this MAS kid can make wave vs. INA kid in semifinal :)

10. indrg

indrg Regular Member

Babl no need to be sored about SING's practice la.... it is mutually beneficial both parties... many INA, China, MAS kids can never taste fame because they are living in remote islands far away from big cities where big clubs are scouting talents.

11. Espírito Santo

Espírito Santo Regular Member

Terrorist
    Even former World No 1 and Malaysia’s top singles player Datuk Lee Chong Wei has hailed Goh Jin Wei as a “future badminton star”.

http://www.sports247.my/v1/2015/05/shuttler-jin-wei-creates-history-yet-again/

Goh Jin Wei's 11 yrs old photo, so cute.......year 2011
    Goh Jin Wei - 11yrs old.jpg

Next, I wonder which rackets Goh Jin Wei is using, in photos below clearly shown she is using Victor HX800 and Victor JS10. Look like this kids will use different racket when facing different type of opponents.

(1) Goh Jin Wei with Victor HX800
    Goh Jin Wei with Victor HX800.jpg

(2) Goh Jin Wei with Victor JS10
    Goh Jin Wei with Victor JS10.jpg

#11 Espírito Santo, Jun 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  12. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    If you cannot breed them, buy them, nothing wrong with that. It takes 2 sides to consent. At least Sing is using tax-payers $$$ to buy FT and not investing in some stupid 1MDB program that magically smoked away $42B like thin air...Goh's mama should protect her little girl, little Goh has something that MAS sees in her. If MAS cannot match Sing, then go Sing go.....Get her an education to fall back on or money to retire on, after all MAS famous Dato does not play for kachang puteh, those are serious coins that Dato is cashing on. Score a gold coin in RIO, Dato can buy the whole Penang island (okie, maybe not the whole island, maybe the part that has the ocean view). Goh should remember she is playing pro if that is what she wants, and pro plays for money first, country second, and a short career to boot....also remember, if the country does not need you then you are on your own frying chau-kwai-teoh and your contribution to your country easily forgotten (I do not need to remind anyone how many players that went through MAS system, ends up with no second career other than coaching, except if your name is Rashid then even when you are so freaking bad as head coach you still get to score some serious coin and has the rakyat kissing your butt thinking you are the GOAT - greatest of all time).... One word of advice to little Goh, when negotiating, no money no talk - its is money first, money second and money third.
    As for Sing, I have tremendous admiration for this island nation...hard pressed to find 5 other countries in the World that match the way she is run and all because the people are smart to believe in one great man.

13. ah_lim

ah_lim Regular Member

So.. a badminton talent need education to fall back on? Otherwise he/she will fail in life? Selling char koay teow mean your life is ruined? Coaching career also not good enough? How about becoming medical doctor or lawyer? is that good enuf for u? Ohh.. and money is important (making a mental note, must remember that one). Pheww.. all this word of wisdom makes me hungry. Off to find a char koay teow now, that poor Char koay teow seller, his mum didn't send her to Singapore.. is ok, u have my custom, extra taugeh and si ham boss!

14. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    must have touch on Mr Ah Lim's nerve and prolly Lim is a true Malaysian boleh kaki, that what is petty $42B gone missing, tak apa. If money to a pro is not important, try asking KKK,TBH isn't that $1M sponsor sweet? How did Dato pay for his toys? Why are Malaysian so against Sing?

15. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Chill man nobody is against nobody here. No worries. It doesn't really matter Goh Jin Wei is playing for which country. The most important thing here is the good performance at the court. I guess nobody would have dream that such a young girl at the age of 15 will have chance to play in team events and also individual events. Not to mention that she needs to play against highly ranked senior player too. Congratulations anyway to Goh Jin Wei for winning the bronze medal in women singles and also silver medal in women team events in the recent sea games tournament.

16. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I know this girl personally. One of the most hardworking youngster around. With proper guidance, she can be a force to reckoned with. Hopefully BAM will give her more opportunity to play in Major tournaments.

17. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    Jin Wei happy she turned down Singapore two years ago

BY RAJES PAUL

KUALA LUMPUR: Youngster Goh Jin Wei’s decision to turn down an offer to study and play badminton in Singapore two years ago is a blessing for Malaysia.

At the recent Singapore SEA Games, the 15-year-old bronze medallist continued to show that she is a star in the making for Malaysia.

She played exceptionally well to deliver the winning point against Vietnam in the women’s team event to steer Malaysia into the final with a 3-2 win.

In the individual event, Jin Wei stunned Thailand’s second seed Nichaon Jindapon in the quarter-finals. It was the first time a Malaysian scored a win over the Thai. Jin Wei lost to Indonesia’s Hana Ramadini in the semi-finals.

Earlier in January, she had upset all the seniors in the national team to win the Kuala Lumpur Open. Even during her junior days, she was always beating players more senior than her.

Jin Wei, who hails from Penang, said she was at a crossroads after completing her primary education.

“After my Standard 6 in Penang, the Singapore Schools Sports Council offered me a good package. The programme was good and the environment was also perfect for me to pursue my sports career,” said Jin Wei.

“My mother and I went to Singapore and we were tempted to sign the deal,” added Jin Wei.

Fortunately for Malaysia, officials from the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM), National Sports Council (NSC) and the Penang Badminton Association (PBA) made quick and special arrangements for Jin Wei to be roped into the national team. She is now studying in a private school in Kuala Lumpur.

“I got to know of the programme through my seniors from Penang as they left to join Singapore. Luckily, I chose not to go,” said Jin Wei.

Two of Jin Wei’s seniors from Penang – Loh Kean Yew and Loh Kean Hean – represented Singapore at the SEA Games.

Kean Yew gave Malaysia’s Mohd Arif Abdul Latif a tough time before losing in the men’s singles semi-finals while his brother Kean Hean was in the team as a doubles player.

“I have improved a lot since joining the national team two years ago and I have been given many opportunities. I will continue to work hard,” said Jin Wei.

“I learnt valuable experience at the SEA Games. I did well but I need to be more patient and control my emotions on court.”

Jin Wei’s next assignment is the Asian Junior Championships in Bangkok from June 28-July 5.

“This is my second Asian Junior Championships. I only made it to the third round last year. I am aiming for better results, but I will not take any of my opponents lightly,” said Jin Wei.

http://www.thestar.com.my/Sport/Badminton/2015/06/18/Jin-Wei-happy-she-turned-down-Singapore/

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Thank you for bringing out the benefits to the foreign talent.

Those who are adverse to "foreign talents" think that you can just buy them from the open shelf and they will produce results. They have forgotten that you have to invest in them, train them, etc, especially when the foreign talents are very young and there is no guarantee that they will deliver in the end.

Definitely not Ah Tee or Ah Kow can make it no matter how much money you are willing to spend on them.

In a way, by offering a scholarship to Goh Jin Wei by the Singapore Sports School, had forced BAM to take action, otherwise who knows what will happen to Jin Wei?

The just concluded SEA Games has also revealed another gem in another SSS boy, Malaysia-born 17-year-old Loh Kean Yew, who also showed a passion for the game and even managed to beat veteran NTM of Vietnam during the individual event. He reached the semis and earned himself a bronze medal.

LKY is now a Singapore citizen (in February) and is studying in our local polytechnic. I hope our SBA will invest further in him, give him more opportunities, to bring him to greater heights and achieve his goal.

I have often stressed that Singapore is a migrant nation as our forefathers were not local born but came from many part of Asia, principally from China, India and Indonesia. They sought a better life than that back home. So to attack those who are not local-born but are contributing to our nation's success is inconsiderate and unkind and shows ignorance of one's history.

During the SEA Games, Singapore won a record 84 gold medals and our national anthem was sounded no less than 84 times. But how many of our locals know that "Majulah Singapura" was composed by Zubir Said, son of a village chief in Indonesia, who decided not to follow his father's footsteps but to pursue his passion in music by migrating to Singapore, where the British were the masters during that time.

#18 Loh, Jun 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I wished you had not been so unkind to Singapore. First class Talent???

Are you telling me that Malaysia has produced many stars and had conquered world badminton?

"Too rich to let their own kids play sport"?

The SEA Games has just proven that Singapore's kids can play sport if they want and they collected 84 gold medals and top the table in the total number of medals. How many did your country win? I hope to see MAS as host nation at the next SEA Games will win more than 84 gold medals.

20. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Loh,
    Just to be fair to my birth country, we have produced many past AJC, WJC and these are really first class talents/gems, best of the best...and we invested in them heavily (just check the annual funding in the millions that made Sing investment look like pittance), and we hired the best coach there was in Rashid and the best manager there was in Ng Chin Chai and we turn these players into big time so-so or no-no and when these players are done, at best they do was coaching or goreng something...LOL!!!
    I am very glad that GJW has the education opportunity, when GJW has the potential then BAM wants her and match what Sing is offering, if she turns out to be dust or injured, then sayonara, she is on her on.
    For those who say, she is a talent and no need 2nd career, say so if she is your daugther.