Which two Chinese WD pairs will go to Rio?

Discussion in 'Olympics 2016 - RIO' started by pcll99, May 13, 2015.

?

Which two Chinese Women's Doubles players will go to Rio?

Poll closed Jul 14, 2016.
  1. TQ/ZYL

93.8%
  2. Luo/Luo

3.1%
  3. YY/TYT

96.9%
  4. MJ/TYT

3.1%
  5. HYQ/TJH

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. ZQX/TJH

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

Bao Yixin has not been playing WD lately, focusing on XD. My guess is she won't be going to Rio for WD, but most likely going to Rio for XD.

Tang Yuanting and Ma Jin looks like a good pair. But not particularly dominant like Wang Xiaoli and Yu Yang. If they reach that stage, this pair very likely will go Rio.

Another pair that I like Wang Xiaoli and Zhao Yunlei. If Zhao can handle the double duty, this could be one possible pair. And also if Wang Xiaoli's performance is up to par during this cycle.

Someone else could be Zhong Qianxin, but she needs a good partner. But for now, I don't see her having any chance at Rio at all.

Don't think Tang Jinhua and Tian Qing will have a shot a Rio. Perhaps like the Tian Qing/Zhao Yunlei pairing, they could likely just be an experienced pair who goes for tournaments to get medals and help the team to secure gold medals and trophies... but not a sure win pairing for major individual events like the Olympics. In other words, just a strong and steady backup pair in case other pairings falter (like Wang Xiaoli/Yu Yang in the last Olympics...).

2. visor

visor Regular Member

TYT and ZYL would be a killer combo!

3. kelana

kelana Regular Member

globalresearch.ca
    Of course ZYL, like TYT, makes an excellent WD with many partners...and combining the two is definitely a killing(!) but just don't think CHN will play ZYL in dual roles, she will most likely focus on XD to secure the gold there ;) also having earned two golds before, she should share her WD slot with her compatriots (can't be too egocentric :D)

4. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  5. kelana

kelana Regular Member

globalresearch.ca
  6. kelana

kelana Regular Member

globalresearch.ca
    Tang Jinhua/Tian Qing

I note that this newly exposed pair: Tang Jinhua/Tian Qing are rather unique in the sense that there is NO clear division between the two regarding who is playing more as the front court player and who's in the back court. Except the pair of twin: Luo Ying/Luo Yu, all other CHN pairs mostly have such front/back court division.

Tang/Tian are playing more equally and both have more or less the same position, exploiting their dynamics of rotation and quite balanced functions and skills.

What do you think?

Just to refresh the memory about Tang Jinhua/Tian Qing, the BCA Indonesia Open SS Premier 2015 is just their 2nd international tournament after the Star Australian Open 2015! Be both the runner-up and the winner in their very first two back-to-back tournaments are truly remarkable achievements. "Two tournaments played, two finals, one title", commented Gillian Clark on the impressive debuts of Tang/Tian.

Earlier I noticed this combo was good but I just didn't outrightly recognize that they weren't just good but an excellent pair indeed... until today. From now on I'll pay special attention to this combo of Tang/Tian in addition to the pair of Tang Yuanting/[whoever is the steady partner].'

Before this I never really think over how crucial it is for the coach to pair THE RIGHT combination not only in terms of technical skills & capabilities but also the 'chemistry', personality fit between the two players! Previously I noticed the performances of both TQ and TJH with their respective partners, ZYL and BYX, the ups & downs of TJH with BYX (with their defeat in the last UC as the nadir), eventually TJH lost her shine, and frankly she just disappeared from my radar. Now I witness the resurrection, the shine and the fascinating dynamics of this duo. It will be interesting to keep a close track on their international tours till Rio 2016 (assuming they're selected, which I think they'll have great chance to get there barring any unfortunate thing).

#46 kelana, Jun 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  7. tommy_bun

tommy_bun Regular Member

My prediction MJ for WD and BYX for XD

8. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    so TQ/ZYL may still go to Rio together?

9. kelana

kelana Regular Member

globalresearch.ca
    Both Tian Qing and Zhao Yunlei definitely will attend Rio but I believe they won't go as a pair. China have many good WD players to need not burden Zhao Yunlei with the dual roles in Rio, she better just focuses to retain her XD title there!

For WD, I think Tian Qing/Tang Jinhua and Tang Yuanting/??? will be selected for Rio, and we may know the choices from which pairs China regularly field in the remaining tournaments and their respective outcomes during the coming months... there are Ma Jin, Bao Yixin, Zhong Qianxin...

For sure, the Luo twin sisters won't make the Rio, and I don't see the old guards, WXL & YY, will go either.

10. xiaoqiao

xiaoqiao Regular Member

Idk...last time I recall they just won the WC. Tian Zhao are still the best pair.

Natsir's the only person in the radar for the Chinese, but it is a legitimate threat. It's tough to decide for China...

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

As seen in the French Open M&Q report version 1, in WD, CHN is still experimenting, Bao Yixin with Zhong Qianxin and Tang Jinhua with Huang Yaqiong. Tian Qing is back with Zhao Yunlei who was partnered with Zhong Qianxin at the just concluded JPN Open which they conquered all the way from the qualification rounds to final victory.

Frankly, I'm beginning to wonder if Ma Jin is the best partner for Tang Yuanting as I feel that MJ's front court play is a bit predictable (too many soft taps) and at the back court she lacks a powerful attack (mostly clears). On the other hand, Zhao Yunlei is versatile, a complete all-rounder, whether in front or at the back,and in effect playing almost like a men's doubles.

In fact, MJ/TYT has lost twice to the same KOR pair, Go A Ra/Yoo Hae Won, within a month, at the WC and the JPN Open. Either TYT is going through a consolidation phase as part of learning process as she is relatively still young at 21 years of age or MJ is the weak link. We'll see how they perform at the Kor Open this week and the upcoming French Open before drawing any conclusions.

12. Zhierl

Zhierl Regular Member

IMO, 2 best pair WD are BYX/TYT and TQ/ZYL.
    Don't know why BYX no more in WD recently, and paired her with ZQX for FO.
    YY/WXL is past, China is stupid if send them to Rio.
    WXL best pair w/ MJ in Oly cicle before all to late for them, YY please retired...
    The twins still not there, the juniors still not there...
    My biggest disappointment is Cheng Su injury leading to her retirement.

13. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

With so many ladies in WD, China is definitely having a headache deciding who will go.

Wang Xiaoli/Zhao Yunlei is a deadly combo. Zhao Yunlei/Tang Yuanting could also be a deadly combo. Tang Jinhua/Tian Qing is also another deadly combo, playing much like Wang Xiaoli/Yu Yang.

Bao Yixin/Tang Yuanting could be interesting. Zhong Qianxin/Tang Jinhua and Zhong Qianxin/Tian Qing could also be two potential pairings, but I favour Zhong Qianxin/Tian Qing as Tian Qing has much fore court awareness as compared to Tang Jinhua and also better variety of shots as compared to Tang Jinhua.

Zhong Qianxin/Zhao Yunlei has exposed some weaknesses, they are unlikely to continue far. Bao Yixin/Zhong Qianxin is also another combo that I don't see potential in. I wonder if China ever considered splitting the twins and pair them with somebody else. Their style of play is not workable at top level.

Out of the 3 youngsters, I see the most potential in Ou Dongni. Huang Yaqiong and Yu Xiaohan have lots to improve. Might be interesting to see Chen Qingchen with Ou Dongni, probably in 2020 Olympics if they are still around and improved a lot by then. Or a surprise pairing for this upcoming Olympics.

14. zhuangcorp

zhuangcorp Regular Member

I'm surprised that YY/WXL are still playing together. They are nowhere near the level they need to be to win the big tournaments. Why is LYB still allowing them to play together?

The two best front court players are Zhao Yunlei and Bao Yixin. The best backcourt players are WXL, TYT, and TQ. CBA should settle on 2 pairs of those players.

15. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I'm sure everyone wants to partner Tang Yuanting, now that ace Zhao Yunlei is , I presumed, already taken by Tian Qing, I believe.

However, I feel that neither MJ nor YY is the best partner for her. But I think the coaches prefer someone older and more experienced for her than an equally, more or less, young and less experienced one, such as Bao Yixin, Tang Jinhua, Zhong Qianxin, for example.

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

At the ongoing Bitburger Open GPG, CHN strangely send only one representative to the tournament, WD Tang Yuanting/Yu Yang. I suspect this pair is there for a purpose.

CBA has yet to decide on Tang Yuanting's firm partner, either Ma Jin or Yu Yang, as I've said before they would prefer the young promising TYT be paired up with an older, much more experienced partner who can provide stability and steady the ship if need be.

Recently,the TYT/MJ combination has been more featured more frequently but, unfortunately,it didn't yield the result they hoped for as they have yet to land a SS title. So once again the TYT/YY combination is put to the test to see how they would fare before coming to a decision, perhaps. Just my conjecture.

Lastly, after watching TYT/YY play in R2 vs JPN's Yonao/Fukuman and in the QFs vs BUL Stoeva sisters, I opine that Tang YT with Yu Yang makes a more dynamic pair than Tang YT with Ma Jin for obvious reasons knowing the differences between YY and MJ's respective playing styles, strengths and weaknesses.

18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I think Yu Yang is back to her best badminton as evident at the Bitburger GPG where she partnered Tang Yuanting to victory. With TYT taking the role of Wang Xiaoli, the pairing of TYT/YY looks pretty good, except that TYT is not as experienced as WXL yet and showed her vulnerability. In fact, at the Bitburger tournament, Yu Yang, in my opinion, played better than TYT in almost every aspect of the game.

Comparing Yu Yang and Ma Jin, I feel that MJ is a bit too tame, not strong at the rear court playing mostly clears ,drop shots and not smashing well or hard enough while at the front court she still tended to play too many soft taps and blocks as in XD though I could see her trying to be more sharp and forceful in WD.

As I've said , I think the coaches much prefer to partner TYT with someone older and more experienced for the reasons I've stated earlier, so we can forget about finding her other prospective partners, such as Bao Yixin, Zhong Qianxin,or Tang Jinhua. As for Zhao Yunlei and Tian Qing, I believe they are good to go as a pair, an ace partnership.

That leaves the question, what about Wang Xiaoli? Who will partner her?

19. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I find a bit disappointed CBA dropped the pair Bao/TYT, that was the perfect match, even if both were young.

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Just a reminder that for CHN WD, Li Yongbo has not picked or showed any preference yet, unlike WS which is three choose two among LXR, WSX and WYH, and for MS, he's more or less confirmed Chen Long and Lin Dan.

So far, he said nothing about XD and MD. For XD, I'm sure Zhao Yunlei/Zhang Nan is a shoo-in , but he refrained from saying so as he has yet to decide on Zhang Nan's participation in MD for Rio OG. That's just my humble opinion. MD apparently is still a headache for him, very much an open question.