Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

here are some quote from the World No. 1,000,001 (unoffical);

#11621 AlanY, May 8, 2015
    Last edited: May 8, 2015
  2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Just days after handing BAM and Lee CW a 'big gift' and you expect BWF to top it off with icing on the cake by offering Lee a wild card? What do you take BWF for, Santa Claus?

Lets face it. About the 2014 wild card that wasn't given to Lin Dan - first, Lin Dan is more than LCW, if LD doesn't deserve it who else does; second, Lin Dan was the reigning and defending World Champion, personally, this reason alone is enough; third, his ranking fell because he took a break as every player is allowed to, they have a life to lead outside badminton, it's their entitlement, their right, and taking a break is so that they could travel further, eg Lee HI retired and came back three times, and we know of other players who take breaks (in the past, Taufik took some time off after the Athens Olympics) ; most importantly, it has nothing to do with any BWF violation.

Interesting isn't it, LCW's objections to Lin Dan's wild card as quoted by kwun? What goes around, comes around? Some of his words would come back to haunt him, I suppose.

3. visor

visor Regular Member

Nah, it's not going to haunt him... he's still going to the WC...

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

No wild card for LCW, so? He can still go by other means, the ball is in BAM's court now.

Incidentally, in 2014, Lin Dan and Li Yongbo didn't choose to sacrifice any of their fellow WC qualifiers.

But, frankly, with CWF and ZZ, their case not to make way is not as compelling. The question is how BAM can make the solution more palatable for either of them.

5. visor

visor Regular Member

Right... and that's why the 8 months is enough for him....

Could've even been 6 months if BAM and the lawyer had gotten their case together sooner... but it was complicated, so gotta hand it to them for getting down to the source.

6. Woffle

Woffle Regular Member

Student
    Quite a few people are very willfully blind and have some significant double standards...very unsurprising but they should think before they talk lest it bite them, much like their idol lcw.

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

In case you didn't know, wef 1 Jan 2015, the minimum ban for doping is raised to four years http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/30648392

Note the following:

The punishment for missing three tests within a 12-month period has been increased from 18 months to two years.

While deliberate cheating leads to a four-year ban, athletes guilty of "inadvertent doping" will receive a two-year ban - although they can get a reduction if they have "substantial proof that they were not at fault or intending to cheat".

8. sh_shashi1

sh_shashi1 Regular Member

Student
    Please be objective in your stupid analysis . There was no gift and the committee was independent jurist .

9. insaint84

insaint84 Regular Member

-
    Lcw's objection to Lin Dan is appropriate , Lin dan doesn't support BWF superseries, whereas lcw on the other hand , plays every super series. Of coz , he will feel unfair . Put yourself into his shoe and see ?

10. insaint84

insaint84 Regular Member

-
    Forgot to mention , Lin Dan could have earn his place by participating in BWF super series , but he dint bother .

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Open your eyes, did you not see my use of the inverted commas?

Besides, the unknown herbalist (proprietor) who prepared the contaminated capsules of cordyceps refused to give his statement or in writing or testify in person (in camera or otherwise) for fear of repercussions - he simply said to a certain Mr Song, the lawyer assisting Mike Morgan, that there was a possibility of contamination risks , in this case by dexamethasone, and we've to ask why only dexamethasone and not any other contaminants as well as the level of contamination.

What about the cordyceps not being from the NSI (National Sport Institute of Malaysia) approved source(s), and the single comforting statement from LCW's nutritionist that "the Cordyseps capsules were safe and that it was not necessary to test the product as long as it was "pure Cordyseps"? And the back-dated eight-month sentence handed out that effectively freed LCW on the spot which allowed him to compete at the Sudirman Cup and the WC? Anyway, all this is water under the bridge.

12. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

Don't waste your time. His arguments with always be one sided with "ingenious justifications" for all/any topics under the badminton sun.

13. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

LCW could have earn his place by participating in BWF super series , but he couldn't. blame those stupid anti-doping rules.

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Well, AlanY, you maybe humbly ranked 1mn-and-1th (unofficially) in badminton, but I have to hand it to you for your sophisticated,nuanced humour for which you are in the top 3.:p:D

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

You know, I couldn't help but think that had BWF been a bit more generous and sensible enough to award Lin Dan a second wild card last year, their hands wouldn't be so tight this year as not to offer one to LCW. That's why it's so important to set the right precedent, see the big picture.

16. 0ozafo0

0ozafo0 Regular Member

Being Chinese-Canadian, I've also had some experience in pharmacies and traditional chinese medicines shops in Hong Kong. It's not malaysia, but it's not like i'm completely blind to poor work practices. Dexamethasone is not a naturally occuring substance, it's something that must be synthesized, and the distributed. No matter how you spin it, the likelihood of some controlled substance, different working practicec in different countries or not, is unlikely. Dexamethasone still come in their own bottles, unless you're telling me that a Chinese herbal shops in Malaysia just grinds up some dexamethasone tablets and just blow it through the air, contamination really shouldn't be an issue. I'm not being rhetorical, I genuinely can't think of a way for dexamethasone to accidentally contaminate LCW's herbal capsules. The only situation is that he put both in the same container, which means that it has nothing to do with pharmacy practice and just personal cleanliness.

You may say I have no understanding of less economically developed countries, and you'd be right. Unlike street food, controlled substances all have packaging requirements for the sake of the medication. It's in no manufacturer's benefit to make dexamethasone and just sell it paper bags.
    Drug manufacturing is designed to hit as many markets as possible, regardless of where they're manufactured. Therefore: drugs are almost always contained to at least bottles or blisters, to stop them from deteriorating = lower chance of contamination.

Another point, Usain Bolt is a multi-millionaire, celebrity, world elite athlete. You can argue he comes from a fairly poor country, (for reference: Canada GDP/PC:51000 USD, Jamaica GDP/PC:5,200 USD) and Jamaican pharmacies probably don't conform to the same standards. Do you genuinely believe him being a multi-millionaire with a training staff, health staff, technical staff all to support him are going to allow him to go to random pharmacies with dexamethasone blowing through the air? The answer is a simple no. You don't have to know Usain Bolt personally, or know Jamaica's pharmacy practice to conclude that Usain Bolt isn't going to random pharmacies.
    By extension, same goes for LCW.

17. sh_shashi1

sh_shashi1 Regular Member

Student
    Do you even read for the case of LCW . Or you are on a blinded mission of proving LCW a cheat which he is not established . He was taking that medicine from 2007 and if nothing happened in last 7 years why anybody would stop him in 2014 ? He has undergone 100+ dope test and came clear . Only a person with hidden agenda would suggest he cheated in those too .

18. renbo

renbo Regular Member

What LCW said about LD's wild card and what LD thought about his wild card are not important, because it is only their personal opinion. I think we should only consider what is good for professional badminton and more specifically for the WC. I don't see why BWF have to be so picky about wild cards. Why not be liberal about it? What we want is the best players to compete, isn'it? Who can say LCW is not among them? The competition would be better with him. Anyway, let's hope he will go, as both other Malaysian players do not bring as much to the game.

19. 0ozafo0

0ozafo0 Regular Member

At no point did I say he was a cheat. I personally don't think he cheated.
    All I'm doing is establishing that the chances of dexamethasone just magically landing on his pill is minute.
    He probably took it without knowing, but making up a scenario of a contaminated capsule, and having BWF committee gobble it up like a slice of cake irritates me.
    I'm going to quote you on this one "He was taking that medicine from 2007 and if nothing happened in last 7 years why anybody would stop him in 2014 ?"
    What changed in the last 7 years that contaminated the capsule?
    The 'fairy capsule' report is a laugh to me, I don't even know how they made that poor excuse up. I would have been much more satisfied if they just reasoned that LCW mistakenly took Dexa during on season.
    Most people don't even know what dexamethasone is, and it's completely reasonable that LCW didn't know what he was taking anyway. Heck, I study pharmacy and really I just know drug classes, I can't keep up with 20 derivatives of the same drug!

20. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    Does anyone actually buy the capsule story?