Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

That would be fine if that's how BAM decided in advance. Making things up on the spot, no matter how reasonable it may be, is not fair to the players, especially to those who are adversely affected.

2. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Maybe they have discussed this but not openly, because until LCW's situation was not cleared up, there was no need to speculate

3. laivc

laivc Regular Member

Sales
    Well, was it that LCW was suspended for (only) 8 moths for failing a drug dope test during last year WC? Or was it I who forget that LCW went on a self imposed sabbatical leave for 8 mths after last year WC??? The fact remains that LCW was suspended for failing a drug dope test. As a top grade professional player, I don't think LCW is so gullible to allow any doctor to inject anything into his body without his consent.

As for the part that it is in the BWF best interest to let LCW participate in the WC, why? LD was denied by BWF to grant him a wildcard despite being the defending champion of the previous WC. Wasn't it in BWF best interest to have LD the defending champion, a more colorful character who is also a 5 times WC winner, 2 times Olympic Gold medals winner to participate in last year WC? What else can BWF justify their reason to grant LCW the former world no.1 who was suspended just recently for failing drug dope test , a wildcard who has not won anything major in term of WC, Olympic, Thomas Cup and Sudirman Cup in his badminton career? Unless the BWF has other unknown interest which I do not want to elaborate here, they will grant LCW a wildcard.

4. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

I will be interested to hear how LCW will say about his own wild card application to WC this time given all his strong opposition to previous wild card given to LD as well as rejection of LD's last application of wild card...

5. st_sam

st_sam Regular Member

very well said
    you finally brought up the fact that most of previous posts did not realize.
    they just thought that LCW so deserve the wildcard and will 100% get the gold medal.
    the FACT is, he failed the drop test, whether or not he realized it.
    BUT as you said, i also doubt that he did not realize it.
    if i am LCW, i will not even think about participate the WC

6. insaint84

insaint84 Regular Member

-
    WILD card cased closed ... :p

Participate WC or not , let wait for BAM to decide ^^

7. renbo

renbo Regular Member

We have to be consistent with ourself. I was for LD going to the WC 2 years ago and sad he did not get the card last year (and the WC was thus not so good for MS) and I will regret if LCW will not be there this year. There will not be so many more occasions to see him at WC.

8. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

KUALA LUMPUR: There is no wild card joy for shuttler Lee Chong Wei, after all.

Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) secretary Ng Chin Chai confirmed Thursday that the Badminton World Federation (BWF) have rejected their official request for former world No. 1 Chong Wei to be given a wild card for the World Championships in Jakarta from Aug 10-16.

In the official list published by BWF on Monday, Chong Wei did not qualify for the world meet as he’s ranked below Malaysia’s top two qualifiers – world No. 31 Chong Wei Feng and world No. 41 Zulfadli Zulkiffli.

But there’s still hope for world No. 46 Chong Wei to make his ninth appearance in the world meet.

It’s now up to BAM, whether they are willing to drop one of the two qualifiers to accommodate Chong Wei.

The national body have until May 14 to do so.

Chin Chai was visibly disappointed with BWF’s decision not to give Chong Wei the wild card.

“BWF sent us an official letter today. They did not say why Chong Wei was not accorded a wild card except that they are not exercising their right to give a wild card to any players this year,” said Chin Chai.

“If BWF had given the wild card to Chong Wei, we would have three qualifiers in men’s singles ... they have their own reasons.”

Chong Wei has been just cleared to play after serving an eight-month ban for failing a doping test at last year’s World Championships in Copenhagen.

Chin Chai said that the All-Indonesia Badminton Association (PBSI) also did not exercise their right to use the wild card. But the wild card would be reserved for their own players.

BWF had set a precedent when they gave China’s Lin Dan, who hadn’t featured in any of BWF’s tournaments for a year, a wild card to play in the 2013 World Championships in Guangzhou.

BWF reckoned that Lin Dan’s presence at the home tournament would pull in the crowd and his inclusion saw China having four men’s singles qualifiers.

So, over to BAM now.

http://www.thestar.com.my/Sport/Badminton/2015/05/07/Wild-card-not-awarded-for-Chong-Wei-in-Worlds/

9. bmiph

bmiph Regular Member

Engineer
    "Now examining this closer, the likelihood of dexamethasone some how contaminating his capsules is in my opinion unlikely. I work in a pharmacy, and I can attest that while dexamethasone is fairly easily attainable, it's also controlled in almost all countries as a prescription drug. It's not like you walk into a pharmacy and breathed in the air, BAM all of sudden you're going to test positive for dexamethasone."

I presume you stay and work in a pharmacy in Canada. My wife is a Pharmacist in M'sia and due to my work, I travel to other countries frequently. What you say is true in western world/advance countries. I presume you have no work experience in M'sia retail Rx and none in the Chinese traditional medicine shop. Based on what I can see here in my country, this is very highly probable, fortunately or otherwise. It's just the way things are here.

#11609 bmiph, May 7, 2015
    Last edited: May 7, 2015
  10. sh_shashi1

sh_shashi1 Regular Member

Student
    Many people arguing about right or wrong or possible situations hailing from developed nations have no idea how thing works in third world countries .

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    very interesting and ironic point. here are some quote from LCW from an old article:

12. sh_shashi1

sh_shashi1 Regular Member

Student
    If you have even minuscule faith and understanding in BWF ruling , he was a victim of unfortunate incident which resulted into him being guilty of doping . He was not out of badminton for 8 months because of his whim or his wilful breach . it can be best termed accident . Geez you relate apples and shuttles !!

13. visor

visor Regular Member

^ No kidding... if he had wanted to dope, there are much better PEDs (performance enhancing drugs) out there than dexamethasone...

Even pseudoephedrine (a common over counter cold medicine) would be better for performance than dexamethasone!

14. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    I agree.

World No. 1 Chong Wei was not pleased the decision, describing it as “unfair.”
    “How can BWF give another slot to China when they already have three players in the fray,” said Chong Wei.
    Would it not made more sense to give the wild card to a country who have no representative in the world championships?
    “A player can stay away for eight months and still be considered for the world championships! What about the others who have worked hard to qualify for the event. Lin Dan stayed away because he was too lazy to play and did not care about playing in BWF tournaments, LCW for sure will support almost all BWF tournaments if possible, he even played a GPG when awaiting his first son to be born which led to a humiliating loss probably because he cares about his fans
    “He is one of the players, who had conceded walkovers and turned his back on BWF’s tournaments many times. Yet, he is rewarded with a wild card. Lin Dan is the king of WO compared to LCW who is the king of Superseries and who gets the wild card?
    “I do not know what to say about BWF’s rules and regulations any more.
    “Rather than qualifying, I should have waited for a wild card too.”

15. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee

I am not defending LCW but BWF is not consistent. They should give LCW a wild card and let LCW and gang accept or decline the wild card. Then BWF will be seen as a fair body.

And LCW should refuse the wild card, just to honour what he said about LD getting the wild card in 2013.

16. author

author Regular Member

student
    good to see lee chong wei being allowed to enter the olympics..

17. insaint84

insaint84 Regular Member

-

Agree! those that believed he dope must be insane lol.

18. RuSSy

RuSSy Regular Member

Student
    I agreed with you

19. insaint84

insaint84 Regular Member

-
    hope to see the clash of the 3 kingdoms !

20. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    He'd be out longer for that.