Predicting a ban on Lee Chong Wei

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by Cheung, Nov 12, 2014.

?

LCW length of ban for doping offence

Poll closed Apr 1, 2015.
  1. 6 months

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 9 months

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 1 year

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 1.5 years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 2 years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. no ban

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blabl

blabl Regular Member

The hearing will take place only on 12th April, 2015 so to be fair to Lee Chong Wei, lets not jump into any conclusion before the hearing takes place. :)

2. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

how's that "internet article" by his boss proved that he never took any performance enhancing steroids?

3. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Actually I have already edited my post and deleted this article to prevent any untoward controversy towards people who may just suddenly misinterpret this article. So I think there is not a need for further clarification here. Thanks. :)

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

True, nowadays it's very hard to win or do well in back-to-back SS tournaments. You not only have to be sufficiently fit to carry yourself through but also be mentally well-adjusted to start all over again in the latter tournament by quickly putting behind whatever happened in the former regardless whether it's a resounding success or dismal failure.

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

My apologies, how did my post meant for the SIN Open tournament thread ended up here ?!:confused:

6. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    In this article http://www.thestar.com.my/Sport/Badminton/2015/04/10/Ramlan-standby-for-Chong-Wei-hearing/NSI admit that LCW was given dexamethasone on July 17 to help his recovery from injury. I think they did not file for TUE because dexamethasone is not known to be able to stay in the body for as long as 1,5 months (it is also allowed outside of competition), substances like this are supposed to be eliminated by the body in shorter time but I think it´s possible for some molecules to stay in the body longer and then maybe once in a while some of those molecules will leave the body in the urine. Having very sensitive tests that can detect single molecules makes it possible to fail a drug test in this kind of situation.

7. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    thanks. The Panel will hear witnesses in KL via Skype.

So it is possible that the hearing will be held from 10am to 6pm in Malaysian time!!!

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    From previous reports, we think dexamethasone was given in a special formulation that stays in the body for longer and that this was unexpectedly longer.

The key to defence is a) didn't realise it lasts that long and b) dexamethasone does not enhance performance at those levels.

The only way dexamethasone can enhance performance is if given in big enough doses that causes a feeling of well being. If so, it would have to be a big dose administered within a couple of days around the time of the competition.

9. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    from Rajes Paul:

11. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  12. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Enough time for all parties to be consulted and advised, including BWF and IOC,

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

14. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

15. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    We will most likely again unable to have Dato' to help Malaysia team for the next Sudirman Cup and participate in this coming WC as the cut off list for the player qualification ranking and registration is at 27th April and 30th April for this two big event as the verdict for Dato' hearing will be announced just days before this date.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Star Online

News
    Business
    Sport
    Metro
    Tech
    Lifestyle
    Travel
    Opinion
    Property
    Jobs
    Autos
    More

Badminton

Home > Sport > Badminton

Published: Sunday April 12, 2015 MYT 7:35:00 PM
    Updated: Sunday April 12, 2015 MYT 7:39:26 PM
    Verdict delay another poser for Chong Wei's return

by rajes paul

AMSTERDAM: Lee Chong Wei is set to miss two major tournaments after his hearing over a doping issue ended without a verdict.

On Saturday, Chong Wei came through an eight-hour hearing with the Badminton World Federation’s (BWF) three-member independent panel only to find out that the verdict will only be made withiin three weeks’ time.

The 32-year-old is facing a two-year career-threatening ban after testing positive for the banned substance dexamethasone during the World Championships in Copenhagen last August.

Before the hearing, Chong Wei was hoping for a lighter sentence – either to walk off scot-free or a less than six-month retroactive ban – so that he can play in the Sudirman Cup in China from May 10-17 and World Championships in Jakarta from Aug 10-16.

The delay has put Chong Wei in a tricky situation.

The closing date for the Sudirman Cup is on April 27 and only selected players based on the April 30 world rankings will make the cut for the World Championships.

Chong Wei, who has dropped to 17th in the world, said that his hopes to compete in the two majors “are now in critical position”.

“If the panel takes three weeks to decide, my hopes of competing are over.

“But it is alright if I do not make it to these two tournaments.

“I am more determined to make a comeback to qualify for next year’s Olympics in Rio de Janeiro,” said Chong Wei, a two-time Olympic silver medallist.

Nemesis Lin Dan was given a wild card to compete in the World Championships in 2013 in Wuhan.

When asked whether he would be given a wild card from the BWF if he fails to qualify for the World Championships, Chong Wei said: “I doubt this will happen. Lin Dan was given a wild card under different circumstances. He was playing at home. My situation is totally different and I am not sure whether the world body will consider me.”

Although the verdict’s delay is disappointing, Chong Wei remained upbeat of his chances.

“I am just glad that the hearing is over. The decision is not in my hands now, but I do hope to get a favourable result. I am happy with the thorough presentation by my lawyers, led by Mike Morgan.

“I also want to thank all my fans for their support. It is not an easy time for me but the fans’ support keeps me motivated,” added Chong Wei, who will resume training at the Juara Stadium in Bukit Jalil after returning home on Monday.

Without Chong Wei, Malaysia are set to experience more dismal moments in the Sudirman Cup and World Championships.

In his absence, the other shuttlers have performed poorly in the back-to-back Malaysian and Singapore Opens recently.

http://www.thestar.com.my/Sport/Badminton/2015/04/12/Verdict-delay-another-speedbump-for-Chong-Wei/

#255 shooting stroke, Apr 12, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  16. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    well...

they may take a few days to three weeks.

so, it could be any day now..

17. RVStrike13

RVStrike13 Regular Member

Student
    I don't think it should take them 3 weeks to come up with a verdict. To me it seems pretty straight forward.

18. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  19. event

event Regular Member

Well, in hindsight, it seems discussing a wild card may not be academic. I never imagined they would delay the decision until after the World Championship qualifications are released. Still Lee will qualify as the #1 Malaysian but the question is whether the BWF will release the eligibility lists with or without his name. The decision should still come before BAM has to issue a 'Yes' or 'No' reply for the players who have qualified for the Worlds.

20. Ashaan

Ashaan Regular Member

Software Engineer
    BAM pushing for Chong Wei's verdict sooner

“The closing date to submit players for the Sudirman Cup in Dongguan, China is on Monday at midnight. We are hoping to send Chong Wei for the meet and we have requested the Badminton World Federation to inform us about his fate before that."

The Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) revealed they are anticipating a decision on the shuttler’s doping case within this time frame.

“We are not putting any pressure on the three-member panel to make a decision but we just want this to end soon. They wanted three weeks and we are just asking them to announce it earlier.”

http://www.thestar.com.my/Sport/Badminton/2015/04/23/Chong-Wei-decision-in-matter-of-time/

"If possible, we want Chong Wei to be involved in the Sudirman Cup tournament and the SEA Games. We will take the initiative so that we don't have to wait up to three weeks."
    Read more at:http://english.astroawani.com/sports-news/doping-bam-contacts-bwf-result-chong-weis-case-58398?cp

http://english.astroawani.com/sports-news/doping-bam-contacts-bwf-result-chong-weis-case-58398

#260 Ashaan, Apr 23, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.