OUE SINGAPORE Open SS 2015 : QUARTERFINALS (10th April 2015)

Discussion in 'Singapore Open / China Masters / SKYCITY New Zeala' started by CLELY, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    I have always found your opinions on Indians very objective, while here I have been attacked by my compatriots for being objective and not displaying jingoism.

2. sh_shashi1

sh_shashi1 Regular Member

Student
    Many foreigners have a typical notion of Indians ( stereotyping ) in general which you don't seem to have . I was talking about your knowledge of Indians in general . Badminton wise I still don't agree with you much ..lol. But you still did not answer my question about your expertise because I am also interested in badminton but my knowledge about china is limited to players and shuttlecock factories :p

#162 sh_shashi1, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    @sh_shashi,

Not really sure how to reply to that. Perhaps it's because some of my best friends are Indian? Or maybe Deepika Padukone is rather, erm, photogenic? :D:D

4. sh_shashi1

Student
    I wish DP continued playing badminton. We all would have been treated every other SS . :D :D

5. twinypalm

twinypalm Regular Member

engineer
    What kind of nonsense is this? If you were making a joke, i think it was very inappropriate. On the other hand if you were serious i found this to be very offensive.

6. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    In fact, Jwala's mom is a 100% ethnic Chinese.

7. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    The reason she didn't was because she was failing to keep up. The pressure on her would have been a lot higher than whats on Tommy Sugiarto. She might have turned out into a Prakah Amritraj and never really made the grade. (which she didn't as a sub-junior beyond Karnataka; even at the South Zone level she lost U-13 SF at 12-13, while her dad was national senior champ at 14. lol.)

Look at her sister. 6+ years on tour, so much sponsorship support and still yet to turn pro. (And by all accounts Anisha was more athletic growing up and a multi sport athlete.) Its always tough for G2-G3 athletes if G1 happen to be superstars. I have seen examples of G2-G3 exceeding their parents/grandparents in cases where G1 was average, but there are only a few bonafide examples of multiple generations coming through equally well. (Trumper-Chappells, Bonds, Paeses, Rouseys etc.)

8. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    Clearly he was joking, what was so inappropriate about it?

9. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    Just to be pedantic, she is ethnic Han. "Chinese" is not an ethnicity (just like American or Canadian aren't).

10. liiil

liiil Regular Member

Morten Frost said a few months ago that Wang Zhengming didn't achieve much because he's too bulky.

11. renbo

renbo Regular Member

One friend of mine is in the track and field. He told me that the type of muscle fibre is also essential to make a sprinter or a 10km runner. I suppose it would play a role in badminton too, but that is beyond me.

The whole morphology has to be taken into account. For example Akane Yamaguchi has very strong and bulky legs - and she is very fast on court, and can run for long. But she is so short... Her center of gravity is very low, so I guess the muscle mass does not forbide her to change direction quickly.

12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

babl uses nationality as a matter of fact in a sort of neutral sense just as BWF does, nothing else, no other implications. What's so inappropriate or offensive about it? He did nothing wrong, why take issue with him?

There are a few here who are really ultranationalistic, jingoistic but not babl, yet he is the one criticized. This is an injustice, what a shame.

13. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    and that too for a harmless joke. :(

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Just because BWF does it doesn't mean it's a good way to describe things. I would rather BWF writes its reports with a less nationalistic emphasis, unless it is events such as Thomas Cup/Sudirman Cup/Uber Cup etc. Of course, the way badminton is organised doesn't lend itself well with countries holding the control to whether players can enter tournaments.

15. vkokamthankar

vkokamthankar Regular Member

Employed in a company
    Nonsense ? Joke ?? Inappropriate ??? Offensive ????

Very sick and inappropriate comment indeed !!

I do not find anything either nonsensical or jocular or inappropriate or offensive in a comment posted by Blabl.

Sum total of his post is most podium finishes and medals will be won by Chinese players at Singapore Open and China is a power house in world badminton.

I fail to understand why so much of anger and hatred for posting a factual position ?

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

[MENTION=90304]twinypalm[/MENTION]

Could you explain exactly why you would consider it offensive?

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

The point is it's unavoidable and inevitable in the stark geopolitical reality of the world we live in today which is defined by nation-states and sovereignty. The fear is not nationality per se when it means simply patriotism but going to extremes of unltranationalism and jingoism. Unless and until we have a United World under a World Government, nation-states are here to stay. The best we can hope for and work towards is peaceful co-existence, mutual respect, cooperation and collaboration, and conflict resolution by diplomatic means without resorting to the use of force.

Didn't Park Joo Bong the other lamented the fact of traditional powerhouses Malaysia and Indonesia being in the doldrums for so long, he wasn't referring to individual players? Sports commentators and writers also can't help but refer to nations. Didn't some people wonder how Spain could produce a Marin, as if her nationality matters? And every time after LCW wins a crucial match or title, he'd immediately point to his national emblem on his shirt to indicate 'Malaysia Boleh!', not so much 'I , LCW, Boleh!'

In badminton, we have the Thomas/Uber/Sudirman Cups, in tennis the Davis Cup, all nation-based competitions. In the Olympics, clearly so and at the same time underlining its proclamation of the fraternity of nations. I remember reading when Andy Murray won his first tennis grand slam, both England, or rather Britain, and Scotland want to claim him as their own.

How I wish the United Nations has more bite, it has been toothless for far too long, and it is sadly undemocratic as there are five permanent members with veto powers.I digress.

As for BWF write-ups, I think they are striking a healthy balance between the player's individuality and their nationalities. I don't see any undue emphasis on nationalities other than to state their representations which simply cannot be ignored.

18. twinypalm

twinypalm Regular Member

engineer
    If he had stated that these were his predictions or even his wishes, I would have just laugh and considered it silly, but the way he put it
    "Therefore it is confirmed that China will certainly be getting 4 gold medals, 3 silver medals and 2 bronze medals tomorrow)."
    If that was not a joke, then it was a total disrespect for the other nations' athletes who are competing in the tournament.

19. twinypalm

twinypalm Regular Member

engineer
    Where are the "anger and hatred" that you saw in my post? I just said it was offensive to me. and also was it a fact that China won 4 gold medals in this tournament? The finals are not even started.

20. sh_shashi1

Student
    Hu Yun showed today that if you still got what it takes to win , age no bar .