Yonex Sunrise INDIA Open SS 2015 - Entry List & DRAW

Discussion in 'Yonex Sunrise India Open / Maybank Malaysia Open 2' started by CLELY, Feb 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Good question but 2 days late.

2. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Actually it was a reply to another post which read "its not necessary your fav player is from your nation"
    I found out the mistake but didn't do anything as I was the only one to who was knowing about that error..
    I need to do something now as everyone noticed it :D

3. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

I disagree with this. The difference is reflex time is marginal among different races. The biggest impact, especially for single's badminton, is height and will always be height. The average Caucasian will always have a height advantage over the average Asian. If you look a Denmark which is probably the only country in Europe where badminton is as highly played as in the top Asian countries, Denmark is capable of producing world class players with a much smaller population than many Asian countries. Denmark obviously has world class coaches and training programs in badminton comparable to the top Asian countries, but it's not a coincidence that their top 3 Men's singles players are all tall, compared to the other Asian players.

IMO, if every country in Europe treated badminton the way Denmark did, Asia would no longer dominate badminton, simply because we have a height disadvantage. If every European country took badminton as serious as Denmark, the best badminton players would be European (especially from European countries where they are taller). Whatever tiny advantage we have in reflexes is heavily negated by height.

4. gopalprasad

gopalprasad Regular Member

Software Architect
    I am waiting to see the worlds tallest man/woman participate in the olympics :)
    Whereas I have seen an amputee race and do quite well in there too... :D

5. Airos

Airos Regular Member

Actually, the nature of badminton is very different from tennis. The requirement of height and hand-strength is significantly larger in tennis. In tennis, if you notice, all the current top male players are over 5 feet 11 at least, and all the top female players are over 5 feet 7. Rod Lever(at 5 feet 8) and Justin Henin(at 5 feet 4) are few rare exceptions from past.
    That has never been the case with badminton. You could always find relatively average-heighted or even short players. Lee Chong Wei , at about the same height as Lionel Messi(5 feet 7) could be a top male player in badminton for so long. Susi Susanti was barely 5 feet 3. All the Japanese female players- from Akane to Nozomi are relatively short. TTY is also not tall. Even Saina, at 5 feet 5, or Wang Shixian, at 5 feet 6, are not very tall.

This is because- I think in badminton stamina, speed, agility,placement and deception are more important than height and strength. In tennis a powerful and bouncy serve or return will be quickly out of reach of a player with short reach, and even if he is fast and returns, the pressure of strength will be always there. That is not the case with badminton.
    I am not saying that height has no advantage in badminton, but it is sigficantly less than in case of tennis.

Also, team work is more important in badminton doubles than in tennis doubles. In tennis Roger Federer could doubles medal in olympics. In badminton I doubt even a team of LD and LXR will be able to win much.

Another thing is that not all asians are short. Not even all east-asians are short. We tend to group all east-asians as one group . But durting world war 2 - the average Japanese was measured at little over 5 feet 2 inches(the current Japanese are about 4-5 inches taller). But during the same time the Mongolians were measured at close to 6 feet 6 inches(6 and half feet). So there is no way that Japanese and Mongolians are same race. Actually there is a lot of debate on whether the concept of race is even a biologically meaningful one- even if it is, it certainly is much more complex than dividing the world smoothly into 3 or 4 races.

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    My belief of more Asians in the game is simple: numbers playing and resources put in. Nothing biological! Even if other countries with taller populations put more in, they won't necessarily have the best players. Badminton is one game where more height and more strength is a limited advantage. Too much height and too much muscle bulk are a hinderance.

7. renbo

renbo Regular Member

This, and also that : in Asia players begin playing and receving tutoring at earlier age (7-10 years), while in Europe they rarely do, contrary to tennis where very small children are given serious training.

8. renbo

renbo Regular Member

But to come back to the draw, we can say that in MS the upper and lower half are quite even. But CL and Wan SH are both missing, I don't know why. As they are among the players I like, it is a blow to the excitement. Tian HW is also absent. Are the CHN players taking turns?
    Otherwise we can hope for a Srikanth-WZM encounter in the quarters.

9. Airos

Airos Regular Member

Carolina Marin loves India. This is what she said last time during Syed Modi GPG.

It also appears that she might release her own Macarena album soon:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

#69 Airos, Mar 21, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  10. Mr. Epic

Mr. Epic Regular Member

Student
  11. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
  12. Airos

Airos Regular Member

13. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

It's good move for home badminton fans, for other regions LIVE TV for SS tourney will be started from quarterfinal onwards.

14. renbo

renbo Regular Member

It would be great if some of our Indian friends in BC would record and download the matches from R1!

15. badrutm

badrutm Regular Member

blogger
    MS Top seeds

MS
    DenmarkJan O Jorgensen
    IndiaK. Srikanth
    ChinaLin Dan
    Chinese TaipeiChou Tien Chen
    DenmarkHans-Kristian Vittinghus
    DenmarkViktor Axelsen
    ChinaWang Zhengming

16. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Here is the schedule.

17. Firas

Firas Regular Member

This is a great chance for Saina to avenge her loss to Carolina Marin this month in the All-England and redeem herself. No better way to do this than on home soil with the support of her family, fans and country. From the draw, it is clear that she would breeze quite easily into the finals on Sunday with no serious opposition. Anything less than the finals on Sunday would be a disappointment I think.

18. arjevo

arjevo Regular Member

student
    saina is someone who doesn't thrive on home court advantage because of that pressure of expectations, hope she does well. .i don't see any players in her half posing a serious threat to her, she should reach the finals comfortably without droping a single game but then there would be immense pressure on her to perform. .it will be interesting to see how she performs under pressure.

19. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    ^ She reportedly said the same last year..
    Home support surely acts as a psychological backbone.. But SN is an exception.. She must change her mind set and clinch the trophy its now or never(you don't have anybody (contender) in your half) you can't get a better draw a better chance of winning home soil event and providing some more joy to your fans which you haven't done yet...
    Let's go SN
    Although we expecting a lot from KS, I doubt he would be able to survive in such a draw..

20. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Asked about the prospect of becoming world no.1, Saina said: "I don't know much about the ranking calculations neither I am thinking about it too much. For me it is more about playing my game. I have said in the past as well that rankings don't matter to me much. The top priority is to win the tournament."

On her shoulder pain, Saina said: "I am still recovering. I don't know how much time it will take for full recovery but I am ready to play my first match in the competition."

Unfortunate... She is having injury at wrong time.. What she will do if she aggrevates it ??..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.