Some good drills etc.

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by twobeer, Feb 13, 2015.

1. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
  2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Definitely so!

3. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    I wonder why Denmark as a small country is gifted with so many good athletes for football and badminton AFAIK, compared to their neighbor and rival Swedia who has a bigger land.

4. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

(Because) other sports are more/also popular in Sweden like athletics and icehockey where they have world and olympic champions.
    Also the country may be bigger, the population is only 9.5 million vs 6 million for Denmark ...

5. wirre

wirre Regular Member

demolidor has already given a good answer but I'll just reinforce that with some examples.

There might be more danish professional fotballplayers in other countries ATM but none of them is a star as big as Zlatan Ibrahimovich. Fotball is a bigger sport (in comparison) in Denmark, but if you look at the results over time you'll see that Sweden is the more successful country regarding participation in championships (WC, OG and EC). Also the Swedish clubs are more successful through history..... You cannot just look at the present year (or last decennium) to make a statement like yours.
    One could also ask the question why Denmark with 6 million living in better environment (climate) doesn't produce even more and better players than Sweden with about 4 million living in comparable condition?

Look at tennis.... ATM it is almost none existing in Sweden at world class level but in the 70s-90s we were dominating in the mens with several GS tournament winners (Borg, Edberg, Wilander etc) and many DC wins. Would you say that Denmark is (has been) more gifted with tennisplayers because ATM they have CW and there is no worldclass player from Sweden?

Handball: ATM I'd say (everbody!) that Denmark is better but not if you look at the history. The player voted best player in the world during the 20th century was Magnus Wislander. And there are still lots of gifted handballplayers from Sweden. Professionals in the most successful clubs in Germany, Spain and Denmark(!)

Ice-hockey: Ah well I don't think there is any need to compare....

Alpine skiing: Well the Swedish guys and gals are not anywhere close to Ingemar Stenmark but still successful. How about the Danish?

Cross-country....

Badminton: Denmark has been the European gigant through history and I cannot see any change. But for a brief period Sweden had a very good generation with worldclass players who actually managed to beat Denmark in the European team competition! But badminton is probably among the 10 most popular sports in Denmark and hardly among the top 25 in Sweden. I think that makes it more or less self explaining why there are more and better badminton players from Denmark.

So, importance of the sport and a historic view is needed to take into consideration.

/mats