SWISS Open GP Gold 2015 - Qualification Round to FINALS (10th-15th March 2015)

Discussion in 'German Open / All England Open / Swiss Open 2015' started by CLELY, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Gigabit

Gigabit Regular Member

Banker
    Not to mention that Kurihara is cute

2. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Well, CHN bagged 4 titles in 4th GP Gold series of this year, one remained went to Indian rising star Srikanth Kidambi. Overall, it's entertaining final contest except WS as Sun Yu dictated the game from early stage, little resistance by Busanan to trouble her tall Chinese opponent. Double joy for Lu Kai as he triumphed 2 disciplines, first in the brink of losing he and his partner Huang YQ overturned to beat Liu/Bao and then played another gruelling last match of final day against MAS dynamic duo Goh/Tan. WD is usually pretty boring but Japanese pair Kurihara/Shinoya with their attacking skill, solid defence and accurate placing pushed Bao/Tang working hard before AE winner prevailed in rubber games.

Also MS encounter, both Srikanth and Axelsen propelled sharp cross court smashes and delicate netplay, the young Dane produced many uncharacteristic errors at decider and Srikanth pulled away to seal the match.

Next stop, Superseries will be back in New Delhi ;)

3. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Indeed... and slim compared to the mostly manly WD players

4. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Also I don't think we'll see either WSX or WYH at RIO.

Clearly Wang Yihan is past her peak.

Better to brood new players now to support LXR.

5. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Are you rooting for Sun Yu..
    Then sane pinch :p
    I think she can be s good choice provided she def more top 10 players this year

6. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Okay sorry found this article from The star news online which may help to clarify things here.

KUALA LUMPUR: Goh V Shem-Tan Wee Kiong were just one match away from securing their first Open title. Yet, they blew it.

V Shem-Wee Kiong went down fighting 19-21, 21-14, 17-21 to Cai Yun-Lu Kai of China in a pulsating 63-minute men’s doubles final at the Swiss Open in Basel on Sunday.

The match was tight from the start.

In the opening game, sixth seeds V Shem-Wee Kiong and third seeds Cai Yun-Lu Kai fought until 19-19 before the China pair pulled away for a win.

Glasgow Commonwealth Games champions V Shem-Wee Kiong refused to give in and came back to snatch the second game with a splendid attacking display.

The close duel continued into the rubber game, with both snapping at each other’s heels until 13-13 before 2014 Singapore Open winners Cai Yun-Lu Kai broke away to romp home to their second international title as a pair.

National doubles head coach Jeremy Gan said that V Shem-Wee Kiong can walk tall despite the defeat.

“Overall, they played all right and showed good commitment on court. They just lacked the boldness and consistency in their first three shots against the fired-up Chinese pair,” said Jeremy.

“I’m satisfied with their performance. This is their first final since V Shem came back from his knee injury.

“They’ve shown improvement in every match and I’m confident they will only get better.

“All they need to do is to stay focused in their training.”

For the 22-year-old Lu Kai, it was a double joy in the Grand Prix Gold tournament as he had also won the mixed doubles title with Huang Yaqiong in an all-China final.

The only title that did not go China’s way was in the men’s singles when India’s K. Srikanth defeated Viktor Axelsen of Denmark 21-15, 12-21, 21-14 to win his first title this year.

7. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Yes agreed that the results could have gone either way but I must say that I am impressed that Goh V Shem / Tan Wee Kiong really put up a good fight in this match. Everyone knows that Cai Yun / Lu Kai are both very good players. China of course have the advantage to win in the final. But then again who would have thought that Goh V Shem / Tan Wee Kiong will reach the finals?

Yes nobody in the world would have even dream or thought about it. I think they themselves are also surprised that they have reached the finals. I knew from the start that Goh V Shem is injured and that also hampers his movements at the court. It is never easy for Goh V Shem to play at such a fast speed at the court bearing the injuries. I managed to watch their matches in the quarterfinals, semi finals and finals live. All I can say is that they have improved but of course they still do have some weaknesses to improve on.

For me it is already a plus point and a credit for them to reach the finals. Bearing that Goh V Shem is injured. He wears a knee strap during the tournament? Yes both of them only played together for a while not even a year. Then Goh V Shem is injured most of the time and due to that he is not able to go for training with Tan Wee Kiong most of the time. So this sums it up. I think what Jeremy Gan the coach said is right. They can only get better and better. Time will tell. Goh V Shem is injured and yet he still played on bearing the injuries. It must be very painful for him to play at such a fast speed at the court.

No offense here but just my personal view. So what more can we ask from the both of these players, the injured Goh V Shem and Tan Wee Kiong?

8. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

Goh V Shem's "hang time" smashes and his fancy (between legs) defences resembles the legendary Indonesian player Sigit Budiarto...

9. Pirayeba67

Pirayeba67 Regular Member

Head hunter

10. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

Lost in excitements on the final day was the subplot in the first match. When a match is China vs China, the suspicion would be that it would be somehow coordinated, especial when one or more players are involved in a later match against non-teammates. In the XD final, all four players went all out for all three games.

Consequently, BYX might not have been as alert as she could be in the WD final and Lu Kai could certainly be freshier for the MD final.

This is a rather positive development. Hope this becomes the new normal for all China vs China matches in international tournaments.

11. renbo

renbo Regular Member

China vs China matches are suspicious only in certain circumstances, involving the whole team, like OLY, or Surdiman, etc. For regular tournament, I don't see why they would spare each other.

12. Pirayeba67

Pirayeba67 Regular Member

Head hunter
    China vs China matches in the Surdiman Cup? How is this possible?

13. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Don't tell me you never came across any such match :p