Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Dougie

Dougie Regular Member

Buyer

2. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Published: Tuesday March 10, 2015 MYT 2:38:00 PM
    Updated: Tuesday March 10, 2015 MYT 2:48:57 PM
    BWF sets April 11 to hear Chong Wei’s case

by rajes paul

KUALA LUMPUR: The Badminton World Federation (BWF) has picked April 11 to decide on the fate of national shuttler Datuk Lee Chong Wei (pic).

Chong Wei is currently serving a suspension for a doping violation during the World Championships last August in Copenhagen after his urine sample was found to contain the banned substance dexamethasone.

A three-member panel will decide on the punishment, which could range from a three-month to two-year ban.

Chong Wei could also escape with a slap on his wrist if he can prove his innocence.

Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) deputy president Datuk Seri Norza Zakaria said that Chong Wei would go into the hearing with the best preparation.

“There has been a delay in this because we want to cover all aspects to make sure that Chong Wei gets the best assistance and support.

“The date has been fixed for April 11. We are hoping for the best outcome,” said Norza.
    Chong Wei will be represented by London-based lawyer Mike Morgan.

http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Nation/2015/03/10/BWF-Chong-Wei-hearing/

3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired

4. Devendra

Devendra Regular Member

Student
    The hearing is on April 11th. When will they declare the verdict? Is it the final one or do they still have chance to appeal once more?

5. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Heard Wong MC is pregnant again! I am so happy for them!

I guess LCW has more free time for things other than badminton!!! :D

6. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Published: Tuesday March 10, 2015 MYT 7:13:00 PM
    Updated: Tuesday March 10, 2015 MYT 10:21:03 PM
    Chong Wei keeping positive ahead of April hearing

by rajes paul

National shuttler Lee Chong Wei (right) share a light moment with Chong Wei Feng during training at Juara Stadium in Mount Kiara on Tuesday.

National shuttler Lee Chong Wei (right) share a light moment with Chong Wei Feng during training at Juara Stadium in Mount Kiara on Tuesday.

KUALA LUMPUR: The big relief on his face says it all.

World No. 3 Lee Chong Wei was delighted to learn that the Badminton World Federation (BWF) have set April 11 to hear his doping case.

The three-member panel will hear his case in Amsterdam, it was announced by BAM on Tuesday.

The date, ironically falls on the eve of his two-year-old son Kingston’s birthday.

There’s one more piece of good news. Chong Wei also announced on Tuesday that his wife, Wong Mew Choo, is expecting their second son.

“Finally, the hearing date has been fixed. I’d love to take Mew Choo and my son along to Amsterdam but my wife is five months’ pregnant with our second child,” said Chong Wei.

“I hope to come back home with good news,” he added before starting his afternoon session training at Stadium Juara in Bukit Kiara.

The two-time Olympic Games silver medallists is serving a suspension for failing a dope test during a semi-final match in the World Championships in Copenhagen last August.

He was found with traces of banned substance dexamethasone in his urine.

Mew Choo accompanied Chong Wei to Oslo, Norway, to witness the B sample being opened on Nov 5, last year.

Chong Wei could face a maximum two-year ban or a reduced suspension of between three and six months. If he can prove his innocence, he could even escape with just a slap on the wrist.

Chong Wei, who will be accompanied by London-based lawyer Mike Morgan and Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) general manager Kenny Goh, is hoping that his agonising wait will end with more good news on April 11.

“The last five months have been difficult (since he was informed of his doping offence by BWF on Oct 1). I’ve been down with injuries in my career before but I’m still struggling to come to terms with the fact that I’ve failed a dope test,” said Chong Wei.

“The wait has been a mental anguish. It was supposed to be in December (on Dec 8) but was moved. Since then, it has just been a case of waiting and waiting.

“Hopefully, it’ll be all over soon ... I’m waiting for positive news. The Olympic qualifying period starts on May 1 and I hope to be cleared by then.”

Chong Wei is hoping to resume his rivalry with China’s Lin Dan and Chen Long as well as Denmark’s Jan O Jorgensen in a bid to end Malaysia’s elusive search for an Olympic gold medal at the 2016 Games in Rio de Janeiro.

http://www.thestar.com.my/Sport/Bad...-Wei-keeping-positive-ahead-of-April-hearing/

7. visor

visor Regular Member

Lol...................

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    always look to the positive side!!

9. visor

visor Regular Member

Ummm... wasn't it because of something positive that got him in trouble to begin with... ;)

10. liiil

liiil Regular Member

Apparently he didn't waste his time upon hearing the news.

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    double positive makes a... oh. never mind!

12. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

Are there any use of Dexa which would be performance enhancing in badminton? Or is it 100% sure that this is simply "bad management" from his physisist/medicin team after treatments, not being aware that it could be traced after so long time, and not giving notice of the use of the substance before the tournament?

Could it be used as a masking agent?

13. visor

visor Regular Member

^ Those are the million dollar questions that everyone including BWF want to know the answers to...

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Performance enhancing - in large doses, it can make a person feel very energetic. This effect would only last up to about 24-36h after the last dose. The levels of drug in the urine would be crazily high for this scenario. Since dexamethasone causes muscle wasting if taken regularly, any athlete would have a performance detriment if using dexamethasone regularly. What some people may misunderstand is that dexamethasone is definitely not the same as an anabolic steroid.

Masking agent - almost a categorical no.

Bad management - expect that's what the lawyer is probably going to try and prove.

I see some people argue for guilty of intent to cheat given the presence of a banned drug. I don't agree with that. You get cases of people killing another person - not all will get the same punishment.

15. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Because of Dexamethasone, a synthethic glucocorticoids (GCs) has scientifically proven does has an ergogenic action to human is why WADA is still banning it (and all the other GCS) and remain it on it's current 2015 WADA list of banned substances.

Many sports federation for this past many years has insisted that GCs should be removed from the WADA list since it's usage has not shown any scientific evidence that meet WADA criteria for it to be list as a banned substance which include those used substances should shown evidence to enhances sports performance, evidence that its usage would cause health risk to the athlete and lastly its usage would violate the spirit of sports.

However, scientific studies does shows evidence that GCs usage in sports does improves athletic performances as well as health risk in long term usage as what been written by Dr Martin Duclos from the Department of Sports Medicine and Functional Exploration, CHU, France in 2010 titled Evidence of Ergogenic Action of Glucocorticoids as a Doping Agent Risk:

http://www.google.com.my/url?sa=t&r...s9flW8DKQIDYB9SBQ&sig2=kpUNXSUa0hZdK1_6qgvvRw

SS

16. FeatherBlaster

Cheung, SS,

That's about how I see it as well. The substance is in the category of substances that you can get exceptionel for using, if Declare pre tournament, right? And the dose found emphasizes LCW's

That will

17. FeatherBlaster

LCW's case of having used it for non performance enhancing purposes in relation to the WC.

18. FeatherBlaster

So he clearly have a good case of showing no misuse intensions.

Thus it would be a matter of sentencing as you say Cheung. Not all crimes are punished the same - primarily due to different intensions. Punished he should be, because there are no doubt that he violated the rules.

As I see it, the only thing that can undermine his case, is if the substance could have other effective, such as a masking agent. In that case, even his defence of showing a non-cheating intent combined with a non performance enhancing dose, has no merits.

I hope that they settle for a punishment of 6-12 months. Enough for everyone to know that you can not cross the line, and you are personally responsible for the substances you consume. But not enough to end the career of a highly regarded top athlete, who clearly isn't guilty of trying to cheat.

19. FeatherBlaster

Using my phone with Danish spelling...

"you can get EXCEPTION"

Was what I meant. :)

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    FB,

Yes, dexamethasone is allowed if declared pre-tournament. AFAIK, LCW did not submit the declaration of use pre-tournament. If he did, this wouldn't be happening to him.
    Does the level in the urine support his claim of medicinal use i.e. low levels? We don't know that information.

I think since it is allowed out-of-competition, it isn't tested for in out-of-competition random urine samples. This is definitely a loophole in the procedures by WADA. If it sets different standards for testing in and out of competition, the potential for errors by players and their support staff is increased.

The paper that SS has linked, as a scientific review, is very opinion based - the selection of articles was not systematic. i.e. what was the search strategy for research papers in electronic research database?

I do note that the doses of steroids (prednisolone) used that support ergogenic effects in human studies (that were quoted) were very high. Lower doses of steroids were not found to have ergogenic effects.

Although that author also quotes some animal studies, I place little emphasis on animal effects as time and time again, many animal studies do not extrapolate well to the human scenario (for the interested person, this field is called 'evidence based medicine').

Personally, I think nine-twelve months is sufficient if he had no intention. 24 months is for cheating. Some have argued that a person's right to hasten recovery is cheating. The International Olympic Committee are very clear that athletes have the right to health first and foremost. So, recovery back to your baseline is not a crime (after all, all us layman do that as well by taking medicines) and is not cheating.

#11400 Cheung, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2015