Yonex ALL ENGLAND Open SS Premier 2015 : The FINALS (8th March 2015)

Discussion in 'German Open / All England Open / Swiss Open 2015' started by CLELY, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Bbcboy

Bbcboy Regular Member

Tang was brave and said a few words and thanked the supporters in English in her post match interview on the court which the crowd appreciated.

2. Bbcboy

Bbcboy Regular Member

On meeting players - I didn't meet any at all unfortunately as we were only there for the finals but a few friends did......
    One guy met Peter gade, Taufik and Natsir and they all happily posed for photos with him.
    Another friend met Lin Dan and also managed a selfie.
    And finally, not a meeting but the luckiest guy was my friends son who caught the racquet that Carolina Marin threw into the crowd after winning!!

3. Hagen

Hagen Regular Member

Banker
    Cool, did you notice that Carolina took a spare racket from her pool to throw it into the crowd? :rolleyes: I think she wanted to keep the real thing for herself.
    Great match by the way!!

4. Bbcboy

Bbcboy Regular Member

Yeah I noticed that too and thought she might have pulled out a standard nanoray z speed but apparently the one she threw in was all scratched and clearly used so is probably one of her old ones. I haven't had a chance to check it out yet but will get some pics if I do.

5. opruh

opruh Regular Member

Student
    They just love speaking in their own language, unlike in India where they speak English taught to them by the British.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    I imagine like any country, English is taught in school but there are limited chances to practice. As a result, most people will be shy and uncomfortable to speak it, esp in public.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    [MENTION=86757]Mr Norak[/MENTION], [MENTION=104690]Bbcboy[/MENTION]

Really enjoyed reading your stories!

8. sh_shashi1

sh_shashi1 Regular Member

Student
    It's true that english was brought to us by British . I don't think your comment was in good taste but we speak based upon the occasion because we are courteous to our host as well as our guest . we are a country of 900 native languages and if we will be rigid in our mother tongue imagine how difficult our life will be .

9. opruh

opruh Regular Member

Student
    Sorry I'm just annoyed by this statement of yours. "Do a google translate and speak respective language next time if lucky ."

10. sh_shashi1

sh_shashi1 Regular Member

Student
    I did not presume that CL was knowingly avoiding English . I took his comment genuinely and thought it will be a great gesture if you can speak in the players language so that they are happily surprised and if they don't know English then at least they got the message . Being courteous nothing hidden agenda .

11. ah_lim

ah_lim Regular Member

Scratchy pro's racket will worth more than new one.. :) I hope your friend son will be keeping it than playing it. Will be worth a lot one day.. get it authenticated to prove that it was thrown out during AE 2015 final. Maybe AE officials can help?

12. ah_lim

ah_lim Regular Member

I watch too many Pawn Star episodes :p

13. Bbcboy

Bbcboy Regular Member

Glad somebody did :p

Have been watching the Sky coverage of the finals that I recorded and some of the same friends mentioned before were caught on camera too......some people get all the luck :)

14. Bbcboy

Bbcboy Regular Member

No doubt any badminton fan would prefer a pro used racquet than a standard new one but seeing Carolina put the one she used during the game back in the bag and pulling another out to throw to the audience, I thought that she was pulling an off the shelf racquet out instead of one of her other used ones which may be customer for her.

As to it being worth a lot one day, depends what you call a lot but I doubt it would fetch anything crazy.....badminton and Carolina isn't really that big globally.....besides i think it's worth more to keep as a fan and for the stories/ memories, don't you? If it were mine, I wouldn't sell it :)

15. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Was a wonderful experience watching ALL England in the newly refurbished Barclaycard Arena (formerly known as National Indoor Arena). I was there on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Manage to meet up with Rudy (BC member here) after so many years. Too bad I didn't get to meet Hagen as my phone was not able to send SMS to oversea number. And he didn't have internet connection I assume.

What I like about AE is the atmosphere and the quality of the competitive matches being played there. Was also able to sit closely with many badminton stars while enjoying the world class badminton. Imagine the whole Japanese team with all the cuties seating in front of you:p and a few players and officials from Chinese and Korean team seating a few seats beside you.:D

Birmingham was a great city to explore as well. Manage to explore and experience the city by myself on Friday & Saturday. It was a great city with short walking distance and yeah, if you're lucky enough, you may even bumped into several world class badminton players on the street ;):cool:

Too bad the only downside was I didn't bring my camera with me as AE is well known for its strict enforcement for photo-taking. Even the ticket for the event stated video/photography not permitted during play. But, to my surprise, it was not the case for this year's all england. It seems to be much more lenient than the previous experience by people who experienced the AE in previous year. You are free to take pictures, of course with the condition that you do not use flash in your cam. I didn't bother to take much pictures of the AE as my phone has low performance in indoor shooting.

Pics of the AE and city of Birmingham in posts to come.

16. george@chongwei

Ooops. forgot to resize before uploading.

17. george@chongwei

Pictures from the 2nd round

The newly refurbished Barclaycard Area, which was formerly known as National Indoor Arena. Noticed the traditional red seat in the arena has been changed to black colour. What a wonderful venue indeed to held a world class badminton event.

Let's start off with some action in the arena.

Attached Files:

#577 george@chongwei, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  18. george@chongwei

Yonex legends

Peter gade and taufik hidayat was present for the first few days of the competition. They even held a fansign + photo session event for some lucky spectators who present on Thursday. And yeah, they still looked happy and handsome ;)

Attached Files:

19. george@chongwei

Some photos around the arena.

5 huge electronic board featuring the tournament's draws and schedule.
    IMG_20150306_162913.jpg

Yes, Denmark Open 2015 already start their promotional campaign during the 1st super series tournament of the year. Can see how passionate they are and meant business here. Noticed also a small SOLIBAD banner on the top left corner.
    IMG_20150306_163024.jpg

Some selected photo of the Yonex High street inside the arena. Business was relatively good starting from quarter final onwards, especially after chris/gabby adcock's match. Pic was taken before the start of the quarter finals.
    IMG_20150306_163040.jpg IMG_20150306_163044.jpg

And of course Metlife booth was noticeable inside the stadium as well. This was also the place where the Adcocks met with their fans and held their photo + autograph session after a nail biting loss to natsir/tontowi.
    Not forgetting happy faces from fans who manage to hit the shuttle through the hole to get a plastic LED shuttles. And yes, pretty looking English girls was the main attraction as well for me to snap this picture. :D Ahem, much better than the girls from Maybank Malaysian Open I would say.
    IMG_20150306_163807.jpg IMG_20150306_163814.jpg

Yonex professional stringing team in action. A very busy week for them I assume. This is where all the players competing in the tournament get their racket strung. Therefore, no surprise to see many players wandering around the area before and after their match. Was quite surprised to see few non-yonex sponsored player who got their racket strung here as well. Eg: Some of the Korean team players.
    IMG_20150306_163847.jpg

20. george@chongwei

Back to the court for quarter finals day. Didn't bother to take much photo as I don't have my camera with me and was too busy enjoying all the top quality matches playing there.

My view for the quarter finals day. Can clearly enjoy all the actions on all 3 courts playing for quarter finals day. And yes, I can see all the lines clearly as well for the 3 courts. A money well worth for this seat and I have nothing to complain, really.

IMG_20150306_164410.jpg

One of the most anticipated match of the evening for me that day. The match between Momota vs Lin dan.

IMG_20150306_183052.jpg
    IMG_20150306_183100.jpg