Yonex GERMAN Open GP Gold 2015 - Qualification to FINAL (24 February-1 March 2015)

Discussion in 'German Open / All England Open / Swiss Open 2015' started by CLELY, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Sommer

Sommer Regular Member

student
    i was consider Della Destiara as error prone but last night she proved me wrong. Her defense was joy to be watched. A bit upgrade for her power would be good for her but credit for it's due.

As for Rosyita eka, She should works on her service. Danes took many points from her service. But she is very potential, her power was nearly on Kamilla's level.

As a team, they were lack of communication as we saw in third set. They should fix this too. Hopefully Della can be a good leader for them. Yet, i am looking forward for them. I remember Anggia/Della was good on their first tournaments (reach final of dutch gpg, cmiiw) then become a yo-yo pair. i hope Della/Rosyita could deliver better result. Then Indonesia will have 2 formidable women double. :)

2. renbo

renbo Regular Member

and even more for players being surprised by a flick serve and pretend they were not ready so they get a let

3. indrg

indrg Regular Member

Christina Pedersen and Mathias Boe are the two worst offenders in holding the shuttle forever when serving.

4. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    oh ok.. I didn't watch those parts.. I think she wept after umpire issued her red cards. Sorry for her. She need to control herself on court. I hope she will do that in future..

5. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Big winning by Danish shuttlers to sweep 4 of 5 titles, 1 title remained won by Sung Ji Hyun. WS final coloured by a drama yesterday when Carolina Marin got two red cards due to her misconduct, this current World Champion seriously need to control her high temper.

For two INA finalists, Hayom can't do too much against Jorgensen who's in good shape during tournament, never drop a game en route to crown MS title. Promising pair Della/Rosyita delivered strong fighting spirit against hot fave Pedersen/Juhl, breakthrough performance by INA youngsters! Next, tougher competition will wait them in Birmingham. Kamilla Rytter Juhl also got one more successful in XD, same outcome with her partner Mad Pieler Kolding.

6. koje89

koje89 Regular Member

Student
    Rosyita had injury before the final. She insisted to play till 2nd round and couldnt help it again in the 3rd. She had operation and will skip a couple of tournaments in the upcoming events.

7. Yuzo64

Yuzo64 Regular Member

That's a completely different case: when you are about to serve, the time you take is part of your routine. Unless it's clealry too long (they're both long, but borderline usually), you can't touch that. It's like forcing golfers to play the shot within 5 seconds after they get in position near the ball, it's a total nonsense.

Boe/Mogensen do take way to long to get into position though, IMO that's what should be adressed first.

8. rataisind

rataisind New Member

Trainer
    Carolina deserved every bit of the 2 red cards, and to lose the finals. It was not only the issue of handing the shuttle back to her opponent. She showed very little respect to her competitor and to sportsmanship in general. This attitude was worse in the semis against Takahashi, and it was long overdue to take her to task. She is ungracious as a world champion. She tries to influence the line judges by celebrating before the call is made, and in the same breath complains vehemently to the umpire if her opponent does the same. Quite a part from her annoying and unnecessary multiple screams and shouts, she unashamedly celebrate the mistakes of her opponents and fist pumps on her lucky net shots instead of apologising like all the competitors do especially the great Champions. In this respect, Carolina is not in the same elegant class as them. But the person who must take responsibility for her disgraceful behaviour on court must surely be her Coach... who apparently has taught her nothing of being a good sportsman and an ambassador to the game. If not corrected, Carolina could well develop into an uncouth champion lacking in class and can only cry whenever this behaviour is quite deservingly punished by capable and competent umpires.

9. Devendra

Devendra Regular Member

Student
    She is only a "World Champion" i.e. the title. She is nowhere near a true Champion in any sense of the word. She has won nothing. NOTHING!

She is yet to win any title of any repute, outside of the World Crown. Though, I never accept apologies or excuses, and regard her the "World Champion," she has to do much more to be a true Champion.

PS- I have two categories for great players. Champions and Legends.
    Players like Li Xuerui, Saina Nehwal, Chen Long etc. fall under the category of Champions.
    Players like LCW, Zhao Yunlei, Yu Yang are Legends.
    And there is one category above all - the Greatest of them All - Lin Dan.

10. vkokamthankar

vkokamthankar Regular Member

Employed in a company
    Iskandar was not given straight Red Card. He was first given Yellow Card (Warning for Misconduct) followed by Red Card, on same score of 20 :19.

On Match Point, Iskandar was wasting time and disrupting continuity of game hence he got Yellow Card. After getting Yellow Card, he should have behaved and should have prepared to receive serve. Instead he walked out of court, toweled and sipped water. Umpire was right in giving him Red Card (Fault for Misconduct). He deserved the Red Card there.

Iskandars' approach then was like, I give damn to your cards, go on and show more cards. He was not in a mood to play, leave alone winning.

I agree with you about need for consistency in umpiring standards and umpiring decisions.

#170 vkokamthankar, Mar 3, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  11. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

Carolina Marin well deserves to have an umpire give her some cards. Her behaviour on court is just ridiculous. All day, every day. It's much worse than Mathias Boe, who isn't the most gentleman player, but most of the time borderline. CM is simply far beyond the border...

I hope it is a warning for her to behave better. Because she truly has a lot of talent and great determination to be one of Europe's rare badminton stars against an overwhelming dominance of Asian players.

12. Builder

Builder Regular Member

Architect
    Agree with Rataisind's earlier comment on Marin. Sitting in front of TV/computer screen and attending as spectator in badminton tournaments for so many years, it's the first time I saw such obnoxious behaviour from any player throughout a tournament.
    There must be something very wrong in Marin's team of coaches and BWF organization to condone the behaviour. Causally swiping shuttle one or two feet pass the net or hitting the shuttle beyond opponents' back line after losing a point like a charitable action to her opponents are so disrespectful. It is neither normal habit nor tactics. The whole thing has nothing to do with time wasting for which the umpire in the final had taken action. It is outright mental anomalous. Timid opponents rather pick up the shuttle by themselves than await Marin's humiliating "treatment". If any skilled player repeatedly do those in a game against me, surely I would never play with him/her again. In professional circuit, a higher standard of courtesy and sportsmanship is expected. Opponents in courts are colleagues. Marin is just too young or uneducated to understand this? I doubt. She is still defiant of the punishment, judging from report in Badzine.de. Seeing a psychologist or counselor is one of the way out for her, besides changing coach. BWF should see why the umpire and referee failed to act in games earlier than the final of German Open. They let the (her) situation getting from bad to worse, from ugly to humiliating. Really don't want to see enjoyment of watching the sport spoiled by one individual.

13. vkokamthankar

vkokamthankar Regular Member

Employed in a company
    I completely agree with the views of Builder.

Carolina Marine needs to be educated and counselled. May be she needs to see Psychiatrist as well.

I do not know, what and how her coach is reacting to her on court behavior and what is his advise to her. I hope coach is not misleading / misguiding her, else she should immediately change her coach.

I am not sure, is there any rule regarding how to return the shuttle to the opponent, after a rally. If there is no such rule, then probably BWF should think of making such rule. Unlike Tennis, there are no Ball-Boys or Shuttle-Boys in Badminton to avoid these kind of problems.

BWF, Tournament Referee and Umpire needs to look into such behavior more vigilantly and should act proactively, before it becomes a out-of-hand situation.

14. jjashik

jjashik Regular Member

NO. In every sport there are unwritten etiquettes that are recognized and observed. To hand over the bird you have put into the net, is neither complicated or unreasonable. In my opinion, such a practice need not be spelled out. On the other hand, I am tempted to agree for the sake of clarity, but it then would not be etiquette, would it?

I did find the following, which is relevant when Marin retrieves the bird to her opponent by hitting it beyond the baseline of the opponent's court:
    4.13 Abuse of shuttle4.13.1 Intentionally hitting a shuttle dangerously or recklessly within or out of the court,hitting a shuttle with negligent disregard for the consequences, or deliberately damaginga shuttle.

But I think the whole point is that if the umpire has to repeatedly tell you to pick up and hand your opponent the bird, you deserve yellow (and subsequently a red) card. And then if you comply in such a grudging and petty way as she did, you forfeit the respect that others may have had for you as a true athlete.

BWF should commend the umpire for doing the job well. It's not easy being the "bad guy" who hands out punitive cards (in this case to an confusedly innocent girl). We do not need primadonna fits on courts at (any level, but especially) top level tournaments.

15. jjashik

jjashik Regular Member

Agreed, and in that order. How long does the receiver have to hold position? One steamboat, two steamboat...seven steamboat...

16. visor

visor Regular Member

Interesting that this thread came up again... just watched BWF Badminton Unlimited episode 61, and happened to have a clip of the end of this WS Final from a different angle.

It showed how even at the end of the match after Sung was kneeling on the ground praying immediately after her win, Marin continued to display poor sportsmanship by whacking at the shuttle that had fallen on her side while on her way to shake the service judge's hand.

Really poor form...