Yonex GERMAN Open GP Gold 2015 - Qualification to FINAL (24 February-1 March 2015)

Discussion in 'German Open / All England Open / Swiss Open 2015' started by CLELY, Feb 23, 2015.

1. blabl

blabl Regular Member

I think Carolina Marin got fed up after she has been warned so many times that she just wanted to quit playing. When she is not allowed to quit playing I think she practically give up the whole match which causes her to lose the game 21-6. I think if this is a fair play game without any interruptions, I believe that Carolina Marin would have won the game. I really feel sad for Carolina Marin. Any opinion for this game?

2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Rumbaka, 5-11 down, a bridge too far for him? Maybe not, too early to say.

3. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Do you agree with me? I think Jan O Jorgensen will win this match straight set. Dionysus Hayom Rumbaka is not a very good player and he is indeed very lucky to reach the finals this time lol.

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

That seems to be the case in G2, she was not in the mood to play anymore after the two shocking, to her, red cards. Nevertheless, I think if both are at their best, Sung Ji Hyun is still the better player with a small but clear edge, imho.

5. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    hayom is great technically, but very weak mentally and so lazy. Well I think he is changing it, but our MS are so inconsistent

6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

JOJ has just proven your point in G1, taking it convincingly, 21-12. Let's see how G2 goes, for Rumbaka taking out Son Wan Ho in two straight sets yesterday is certainly no mean feat, assuming SWH is not adversely affected by anything, eg injury or having a bad day.

7. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Yes you are right this time. Jan O Jorgensen just won the first match 21-12 within 14 minutes without having to sweat much. This match is pretty one sided too. What do you think?

8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yup, consistency is key to success at the top. Merely having a good run briefly is the common lot of the great majority of players. Indeed, consistency is what separates the champions from the contenders.

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Rumbaka suddenly playing with more urgency, attacking fiercely and winning points outright with smashes, 8-10, only 2 pts behind.

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Camilla Martin style.

This umpire is stricter. I wonder if BWF have sent reminders to their umpires not to be allowed to be intimidated by players.

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

3 pts deficit at the mid-game interval is not decisive for the leading player....

12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

15-8 to JOJ, by now the writing's on the wall, I supposed...

13. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Yes, you are right here. It is not an easy feat but the truth is the Korean players have really dropped a lot in terms of performance. Koreans are only good in men doubles. Son Wan Ho himself is also a very inconsistent player. He has lost before to many players from India and he also lose to players from Singapore too so actually we in Korea are not putting up so much hope for him to win. Of course I am a bit sad when he lost to Dionysus Hayom Rumbaka but when a player never perform well at all he is bound to lose.

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Two red cards in quick succession is strict, even harsh; I'd expect a severe verbal warning in place of the second one; luckily, he didn't flip out a black card as that would mean disqualification on the spot and hand the match to her opponent.

15. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Well, I have to agree with you here. Jan O Jorgensen just won the match 21-12, 21-13. The match is very one sided too. I would say a good player vs a poor performing player in the finals. Jan won easily within 32 minutes. I guess Jan must be vary happy now. Agreed? Now the exciting match is coming. Indonesia young stars vs Danish great women doubles.

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

In the end, JOJ simply put the upstart Rumbaka in his place with a comprehensive victory, not allowing his younger opponent any real chance of a comeback which happened only for a short while.

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

But somehow I felt Rumbaka didn't or fail to bring to this match what he did the previous rounds - could be the pressure of expectations at having surprisingly gone this far or a mental attitude problem.

18. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    It is sad that Rumbaka had one of his usual mental collapses when he reached the final. He just stood there for most of the time looking lost.

19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Coming back to Marin's incident. I recall that she was first warned verbally (at least once?) then followed later by a yellow card in G1. It was in G2 that the umpire decided enough is enough and elevated it to a red card and immediately followed it up by another when Marin appeared unrepentant. So in a way, it's a bit hard to say the referee was being harsh, his just being strict is more like it, otherwise we would be hearing GC protesting in no uncertain terms instead of going along with the umpire's decisions. Enough said.

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

This INA WD pair, Della/Rosyita, looks promising.