Pain on biceps

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Cloudx, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Cloudx

Cloudx Regular Member

Hello all, would want to get some advice on some pain I'm facing.
    I had a problem with tennis elbow on and off, but it normally will go off after i rested for a month or so.

Recently I bought a head heavy 4U racket, previously was using a ultra light 6u racket. After some sessions with the new racket with a lot of smashing I started to notice some pain on my biceps area. It hurt whenever I wanted to lift my arm to do a backhand serve and also when I lift my arm up.

I know this isn't the same tennis elbow that I faced before as the location of the pain is not the same. Not sure is it because I used a HH racket all the sudden or due to my wrong smashing method ( I'm not a wrist user, more of arm user )

Anyone know whats wrong with my arm? :(
    Possible for those in Malaysia to recommend a good & affordable sports injury therapist for me?

Thanks

2. ah_lim

ah_lim Regular Member

I used to had that. My coach told me to do some push up before and after baddie session, and the pain stopped since. I think it has got to do with the way our muscles worked in pair, ie triceps with biceps, simply can't overworked one without the other. Hope it helps :)

3. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Improper technique can produce injury. I'm not 100%, but it stands to reason to me that a head heavy racket would worsen that injury. As you've said this is a recurring issue, I'd strongly advise you look at changing your technique.

4. leongwaipak

leongwaipak Regular Member

Accountant
    The Bicep is one muscle I never thought would be used very much for smashing! Maybe for tennis but not so much in Badminton.
    Usually it's the elbow and shoulder that will usually hurt also the wrist.
    So to me it does sound like a technique issue.

I've used head heavy 3u rackets (Z speed and ZF1, ZF2) and they've actually helped with my tennis elbow.

Anyway, do try warming up all your muscles and try modifying your technique a little to make sure you don't hurt yourself. A coach may help with the technique so you can find a quick and explosive swing/stroke that doesn't hurt you.

5. Cloudx

Cloudx Regular Member

Hi Leong, I'm not saying it's the biceps hurt.. but more of the area at biceps, I'm not sure what's wrong with my arm. Does the injury to the shoulder will cause pain when trying to lift my arm up? As I know tennis elbow doesn't hv those pain when i lift my arm up

6. visor

visor Regular Member

Where is the pain on this pic?

[​IMG]

7. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    Which describes your smash technique?

1) u swing your arm n racket back before swinging forward
    2) you Bring your racket back then swing forward.

No. 1 works the bicep more, plus hh add more leverage load to what you were used to. Guessing its no. 1

Cheers

8. leongwaipak

Accountant
    Trust me when my tennis elbow hurts, i struggle to lift anything.
    It could be your shoulders hurting. Always ok to check with a physio.

9. Cloudx

Cloudx Regular Member

Yea it's no.1, I'm actually a hard hitter. Guess it's due to because I come from a very light racket user so I tend to swing very fast, once I got a HH racket I still swing very fast, guess it will cause some burden to my arm.

Visor, it's the area between the elbow & shoulder, near the shoulder part.

10. leongwaipak

Accountant
    I have some girls in the office that would enjoy that picture of exposed skin and muscles. Is that you in the photo [MENTION=57143]visor[/MENTION]?. LOL!

Anyway, I found that the head heavy racquet is easier on my usual tennis elbow, compared to a head light racquet.
    With a HH racquet, I use more follow-through action now with the HH racquet rather than a quick wrist snap for my smashes and that puts less stress on the elbow.

Similarly, you just need to figure out what is putting so much pressure on your shoulder joint that is causing you pain there.

11. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    Cloud, Do You play a lot of fast and attacking doubles?

If you could count the number of times a session you swing your racket back and forth hard will answer

Badminton stroke should be natural and pain free. If u can stand on a spot and go through your current badminton stroke; a back swing which continues to a forward swing... Now repeat that process continuously in high pace for 1 minute...

If you do not feel extreme pain in your biceps after the one minute then the stroke is doing u no harm but chances are you may reconsider a different technique.

#11 jug8man, Feb 11, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  12. visor

visor Regular Member

Lol... I wish... :)

Found it in Google search

13. leongwaipak

Accountant
    Haha.

Anyway [MENTION=28423]Cloudx[/MENTION] it does sound like you have shoulder socket injury. I had that same issue when I was starting badminton and using more of a tennis like smash. It's similar to throwing a ball with your arm. Very easy to get injured.

You have to try and use less of your whole arm and focus more in the pronation of the forearm and following through with your stroke.
    The follow through helps with my tennis elbow even though I'm using HH stiff racquet (zf2 3u and 4u).
    Good luck mate with your shoulder.

14. Cloudx

Cloudx Regular Member

Thanks for all the advices.

I found the problem with my shoulder is from the rotary cuff.
    It all started with my new racket, which I mention earlier a 4U HH Stiff racket, I think i make the matter worse by stringing it to 27lbs.

I've been using my 6U Balance & Flex racket for 2 years without much problem on my shoulder with the same pound on the string.

So far I'm using back my light racket and the injury is slowly going away. However I wanted to give my new racket a try again, just used for less than a month or so. Was thinking of restringing it to maybe around 24lbs, would that help ?

15. FlyingDutch

FlyingDutch Regular Member

Student
    I used to have similair problems with my biceps. After some simple workout changes combined with a better technique its gone completely. What you need is a thera-band and then you fixate it at a door handle or smth. other stationary. You now hold your biceps vertical and your forearm in a 90 degree angle. Keep your elbow close to your body and now pull to from left to right side 20 times and then you turn around to pull into the other direction. Repeat this 20 times as well and then you do 2-3 sets per side. To avoid unequally trained body sides you should do it with your non racket arm too.

You can just google for other exercises related to biceps tendon pain.
    Good luck

16. vixter

vixter Regular Member

Just admit it, you enjoyed the picture yourself ;)

17. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    I'm having it too, near the shoulder. What I did was

1. Use ice
    2. Apply Sodium diclofenac emulgel on the area
    3. Change my technique.

Previously, my elbow was always near my body or head when I start the hitting action, now I keep it away from my body.

It still hurts sometimes, but it's not like I can't lift my upper arm.

18. chikkubhai

chikkubhai Regular Member

Is there a video or technique describing the correct smash to avoid this pain?

19. ah_lim

ah_lim Regular Member

Search for Zhao Jian Hua video on smashing. Very elaborate and precise. It is in chinese with English subtitle.

I think one need to be able to carry out clear effortlessly before moving on to smash. If one is panting for breath just with warming up clear exercise; chances are the swing, grip, wrist and racket head are probably wrong. All overhead stroke(smash and drop included) is just a derivation of clear stroke.

20. chikkubhai

chikkubhai Regular Member

Thanks mate, like computer RSI, all seniors and adults should be made aware of badminton ergonomics.