BG65 tension loss is higher than we think

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by kwun, Feb 14, 2014.

1. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

I totally agree with this. This is what I have found too. My bg65(27/29) falls to about this if I leave it for a couple weeks with a couple uses(1090hz) but it still feels as tight as a freshly strung 26/28lb job if not tighter but a freshly strung 26/28lbs ping a lot higher(absolutely more tension than a 24lb racket fresh which the hz might suggest). I also think we are missing something when using frequency.

Would there be any other reason why settled older string ping's this low?

2. sh_shashi1

sh_shashi1 Regular Member

Student
    What I can think of is that these string having been stretched and under high tension for some time gets accustomed to it's tautness and loses the resilience . because a freshly strung would wanna resist stretching and go back to its original length , so it pings or vibrate more . a old string having settled to that stretch becomes dead and loses ping . I do think it indicated the playability but can not be related to tension. Tension may not directly relate to frequency in case of stale string bed because the string nature also changes . so we might have a case where we would like to have a ideal frequency for playing and tension might not be that important .
    I'm case of thinner string also people like it at lower tension just because it's playability reflected by higher frequency is good for resilience .

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I haven't worried at all about frequency.

I have had three racquets (same model) strung at the same time, same model string, same tension, same machine and the pings are different. After that, I stopped worrying about it and just went on to the court switching intermittantly between the racquets.

4. sh_shashi1

Student
    Interesting , can you just repeat that experiment and let us know the result .

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I have additionally done many restrings of two racquets at the same time and they won't be exactly the same. To be honest, I don't let it affect me or how I react to the racquet.

But definitely, I will try to keep to the same model racquets and same strings. I don't really understand why other users switch between different models.

6. sh_shashi1

Student
    I don't think many bother when they actually face the opponent on court and are on their toes ;) . but jokes apart many play badminton for fun and some are geeky or curious just to try different things . not necessarily to get better but to keep things busy .

7. visor

visor Regular Member

Frequency is just a simple measure of tension. It directly reflects stringbed stiffness. There's a direct relationship here with length and tension.

[​IMG]

How it represents playability depends on the degree of irreversible damage to the elastic properties if the string... in this case, BG65 if not prestretched will and is well known to elongate over time.

#27 visor, Feb 9, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  8. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

What if the string got thicker as it lost tension, then the reflection of the tension loss would be distorted and amplified as greater than it is. ?

9. visor

visor Regular Member

I suppose so...

10. wguan126

wguan126 Regular Member

False analysis. Lack of controls. Subjective meaningless comparison. Those are my peer-review comments.

11. sh_shashi1

Student
    Your comments are welcome .

12. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    Could it be possible that bg65 increase in frequency per lb increase is not a linear relationship but diminishes?

Or bg65 is unable to hold/produce higher than the 1170 hz?

13. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    BG65 is able to ping higher than 1170. Just finished a BG65 job at 30 x 32 with PS on a ZF and it pinged at 1263 Hz.

14. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Yeah second that, I do a 31/33 on ZFII for someone and it always comes out @ just over 1300hz. Even my 27/29 is always above 1170hz

15. sh_shashi1

Student
    Can you tell me the weather there ? Because mine was done by yonex stringer on ES5 pro and I don't suspect his job was as astray to produce a tension below 1100 hz.

16. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    A 10 day old job will be always ping significant lower than a fresh out of the machine job. If you played the rackets it drops also a bit. I wouldn't worry to much about frequencies as long as you get a consitent job which fits your skills and liking.

17. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

?? what do you mean? You said he strung it to 1170hz. weather is cold. Mine drop after few hours aswell.

18. wguan126

wguan126 Regular Member

One variable at a time; otherwise it's meaningless.

19. sh_shashi1

Student
    I just have only one observation that a freshly strung ping relates to tension but a stale string ping does not corelate to a tension of which a freshly strung ping of lower tension would .
    I'm case of decay tension can't be related to one which is fresh . frequency drop is more than tension drop .

20. wguan126

wguan126 Regular Member

I'm sorry to be so harsh, but what you offered is not an observation. It's a baseless claim. It has no legs. A plausible hypothesis at most.