Badminton Central Guide to Stringing Tools

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by kwun, Apr 10, 2012.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    about the awl. when comparing the Yonex badminton awl and the Gamma awl. i find that i prefer the Gamma awl. it is not as well coated as the Yonex, but the shaft is thinner and fits better into a badminton grommet.

2. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I have a couple of questions on stringing tools for you guys. I've been stringing for quite a number of years now and have a set of tools/method that works well for me. But I've often wondered what others use and whether I can benefit from some new and better tools.

I'd like to know...

1. What pliers do you guys use to tighten knots? Plain or serrated? Needle nose or square shaped? The reason I ask is I find that serrated ones can damage and sometime tear the string before the knot is fully tightened. I use the "no tension loss knot" that Kwun demostrates, which needs quite a lot of pull force to tension the string. Plain pliers don't seem to give the grip you need for this. So I've resorted to using my hands with a small leather patch to prevent it cutting my hand.

2. How do you cut the cable-tie on a new packet of strings? When I first started stringing, I sometimes nick the string whenever I cut the cable tie with cutters. They are flat cutters with a slight chamfered cutting edge so shouldn't catch the string in theory but they do for some reason. Ever since then I've always resorted to pulling the string through the cable tie, which takes longer but doesn't damage the string. I've seen so many people use cutters to cut the cable tie without damaging the string but not sure how?

3. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I use a starting clamp.

4. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I considered using a starting clamp (I don't have one) but thought it may not be strong enough to tension the "no tension loss knots" as starting clamps weren't designed to be pulled directly against?

Also do starting clamps have a textured fine-sandpaper-like surface?

5. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

The good thing about the starting clamp is that it lets the string slip before too much tension can be applied, and I have found absolutely no issue with my Parnell knots; I lose no more than an eight of an inch to "knot sitting".

The starting clamp jaws aren't too rough - they won't damage the string, or even mark it.

6. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Yeah, I appreciate that it lets it slip before too much tension can be applied, but for the "no tension loss knot" you do need to pull quite tightly. Not sure how tight, but it might be worth me buying a starting clamp and measure how much tension I can pull directly before it slips.

Are they all the same or are there recommended starting clamps?

7. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    Starting clamps are ideal to tighten knots.

They don't damage the string, and if you find that the string slips out before you need, you can apply extra pressure on the jaws with your fingers and the string won't slip out.

Gamma starting clamps are great quality, but most starting clamps you can find are good quality too.

8. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    Inexpensive Stringing Machine Cover + matting to protect hardwood floors

I live in a condo and it is a total dust magnet. I clean my machine often enough, but figured there was a simple solution to reduce the frequency of cleaning it. Instead of paying $30 for an official Gamma Machine cover I found an inexpensive $10 solution at my Canadian Tire.

I went and bought a bicycle cover. The dimensions and height are similar enough that it fully encloses my Gamma 6004. I'm sure this will work with other free standing machines (manual and electronic), plus its a good way of "hiding" the machine when guests come over... Don't want to get the significant other angry :p. Hope this helps other fellow stringers since i noticed some have it in their basement or garages.

Here's a link of the cover:
    http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow.../PRDOVR~0733609P/CCM+Bike+Cover.jsp?locale=en

Here's an image of the cover on my machine:
    bicycle_cover_gamma6004.jpg

You'll also notice a transparent matting under the machine. I sometimes drop my tools on the ground and it scratched up and marked my old laminate floors. When i got new hardwood flooring i wanted to protect my investment and found inexpensive matting also at canadian tire. I can't seem to find the exact product but it's rather thin and comes in a roll, but is soft enough that it has a lot of give when objects fall on it. Although it would've been nice to use anti-fatigue mats (think of the multicolored tiles kids play on), they were too thick and would not be stable for the machine.

9. Trinhity

Trinhity Regular Member

For those who string a lot and always standing, you may want to consider getting a "Wellness mat" (http://www.wellnessmats.com/)

I use a carpet from Costco and fold it in half to help to me some cushion when standing for long periods of time. :)

I like DarthHowie's idea with the matting to protect the floor. :) Good idea!

10. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    Decent cutters are hard to find nowadays. The ones that come with the machines are usually pretty average and the ones that you can find at your local hardware store are either too big or don't really cut well.

So the last time I ordered from monoprice.com, I decided I'd try out their wire cutters for my strings and it turned out pretty well. It cuts better than all of the cutters I've tried (I have 2 pairs of Gamma, 1 pair of Pro's pro, and multiple pairs bought from various stringing sites or hardware stores). Being a precision cutter, it can easily cut strings in angle when needed and does so without any effort. The size is alright too, it's a little big because of the handles, but definitely not too big.

For the price (4,48$ !!), I'm definitely satisfied and will definitely order another pair next time I order from them.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10509&cs_id=1050903&p_id=8143&seq=1&format=2
    81431.jpg

11. wguan126

wguan126 Regular Member

Is MBS 5-Tooth Flying Clamp (Orange) comparable to Yonex 5-Tooth Flying Clamp in terms of stringing the cross? They look very similar in size. Thanks.

12. emjay

emjay Regular Member

IT minion
    I thought I lost my decent cutters the other day so went looking for some replacements. I did have some Pro's Pro ones that I got with my machine but they are junk. I liked the look of these ones on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/precision-nippers-hardened-Japanese-engineer/dp/B001D7TE2E
    http://www.amazon.com/Engineer-NS-06/dp/B001D7TE2E

They arrived yesterday and I am very impressed! The cut is super sharp at any angle and length, and the quality feels great. Highly recommended :)

BTW, I found my old cutters hours after ordering those, lol! I'm still glad I got them though, they are that good!

13. emjay

emjay Regular Member

IT minion
    Also in response to the ancient post above my last one, MBS clamps are slightly larger than Yonex, but there's not much in it. I found the MBS ones easier to operate as they didn't need as much force to open, but apart from that they are very simliar.

14. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Another Yonex-style flying clamp has appeared in the UK:

pros_pro_premium_flying_clamp__41099.1410995019.1280.1280.jpg

I got one to help with starting the mains, and it has immense griping force.

15. amleto

amleto Regular Member

I got two of those with my pros pro b150.

16. emjay

emjay Regular Member

IT minion
    They look good but I've been burnt by two failed clamps from Pro's Pro so far. One of the blue flying clamps failed on me after a couple of months and they refused to replace it, and a starting clamp that doesn't grip after 6 months. I'll definitely be steering clear of their stuff in future.

17. wguan126

wguan126 Regular Member

Emjay, thanks for answering my fossilized post.

18. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I just got hold of some those Xuron 170 cutters... holy moly.

Imagine side cutters with utility knives for blades, and you'll get the idea:).

19. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    I found a pair of fine toenail cutters that do a highly precise job, I got them in the pound shop.

20. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    These ones :)

10913173_753392984757245_197377304_n.jpg