Mathias Boe Is A Sore Loser

Discussion in 'Denmark Professional Players' started by Normal, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Really? Why so?

Exactly. As mentioned before, this will happen more often if and when more money comes into the game.

All sports have some controversy but intimidation of officials is across the line. Doesn't matter whether it is an amateur level or professional level tournament.

2. visor

visor Regular Member

#162 visor, Dec 25, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  3. Ferelo2

Ferelo2 Regular Member

I will go to see it

4. DigitalDNA

DigitalDNA Regular Member

Business Analyst
  5. visor

visor Regular Member

All finals games are now up on Badmintonworld.tv on youtube, including prize presentations. :)

6. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

When do you plan on sending this to the BWF office. I know there's not that many signatures, but I feel like the earlier the better. Otherwise after a certain time passes, it may be too late to punish them.

7. clawhammers

clawhammers Regular Member

I haven't decided, and I am still on holiday now... :D

Will update later on, after new year, probably.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    The longer it is left, the less impact. You would probably want it sumitted before BWF get wrapped up in the date of a doping in sport case.

9. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    Not to much a fan of the Danish players but seeing and reading more about their disrespectful antics on the court makes them even lower on my list of choice players to root for. Too bad they are not called out for these sort of things by those in control.

10. st_sam

st_sam Regular Member

i think this kind of behavior is quite common to some of the danish player.
    check on this video at 26:58, not sure whether he talked to the umpire or the chinese coach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSFw1vzjh5I

11. doantram

doantram Regular Member

Student
    The attitude is really something provided that he is not that well known in international stage and has absolutely no achievement, no ranking, no skills to back that up.

Danish players have quite a temper I think. I remember in the SF of 13' WC, Juhl cursed in Danish out loud and unlucky (or really not) for her, the umpire speaks Danish and she gave Juhl a yellow card for that. I think both of them, Juhl and Pedersen, did that quite a few times but that was the only time they were called out for it as far as I know.

12. Lobeh

Lobeh Regular Member

Boe is an ass of the highest order.The sooner he retires the better, good riddance I say.

13. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    Seeing that rally, I can empathize with the danish player getting upset. The china player smashed the shuttle into the danish player's chest/stomach, and instead of the normal sportsmanlike reaction to raise a hand in apology, the chinese player fist pumped. He didn't even attempt to say sorry or whatever, showing just poor court etiquette and sense of sportsmanship.

14. phalanx

phalanx Regular Member

lol come on. To be honest, I just apologize if I hit the head or a woman. Hitting other parts of the body is nothing to apologize for.

15. EvoCopter

EvoCopter Regular Member

Technical Manager
    Understand your point but in competitive sports if you get emotionally and mentally affected by your opponent action you lost the mental battle. When I step on court, there is only one thing on my mind - to emerge as winner. I don't allow other factors to distract me. This have at times cause my partner and empire to ask or repeat their question as my mind is fix on the next plan of action.

As losers you accept it and that's that and if you meet them again you start all over.

It takes practice and time to accustom your mind to shut out external matters but it can be done, the sooner the better.

16. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

That is just hilarious, if you think your world ranking should dictate your on court behaviour.

So if you're in the top 5, you can do stuff other players can't? Come-on. I think this so clearly shows some of the cultural differences at stake here. To a Dane, such a line of thinking is outrageous.

It would be something else, if you're approaching the authorities on behalf of many players, outside a game - then you need to get the backing and respect from well known players representing you in the dialogue with the badminton authorities. But during a game, the rules must apply similar to all players.

In many of these crazy threads where people search far and wide for minor happenings to blemish the reputation of Danish players, a lot of really harmless things are brought up and blown out of proportion, but on the other hand, the really big stuff (such as match-fixing) are not taken really seriously by the same debaters. I know for sure what qualifies for a petition with the "danger" of something ruining our sport - and it's not Kim Astrup asking the Chinese coaches to mind their own business while he's talking to the referee. Not compared to some countries organizations fixing the outcome of many many matches through out the years. Now we're warming up for the qualification for the next olympics, I recon we'll see an increase again on the problematic stuff that really matters for our sports integrity.

And by the way, in this shown video, the only ones who are out of line, are the Chinese bench interfering with players on court talking to the referee, that has no place.

You can argue that Kim A should have carried himself more properly and not being annoyed/aggressive, but that's just the heat of the moment. Similar to the Chinese players fist-pumping when they hit Kim - not the best behaviour, but what the heck. Coaches shouting in to the opposing players on court, while they're debating with the judge - that's not acceptable.

So bringing this clip up, as evidence that Danish players are "so and so" (generalizing), is ridiculous. Even though the pair is "only top-25 in thw world" (sic).

Just as the petition linked to in this thread - a shame one can't put a minus one on such a petition.

---

Moe had a few not so great tricks in the book, years ago, but really these last many season, they're acting out perfectly fine. (I'm thinking in particular about his sometimes very delayed serves). Stop this which hunt, and start focusing on the things that matters. Or just bring up stuff that's really relevant - it will make your case better.

If you think it's a huge problem that Moe sometimes are slow to serve, why don't I see the same (Chinese?) debaters mentioning Chen Long's equally same slow on court speed, annoying his opponents. Take a look at Chen Long - Lee Chong Wei match at WC 2014 and see what I mean. He's really pushing it.

BTW: I'm not anti-Chinese in any way - I routed for Chen Long in that match, seeked him out afterwards wished him congratulations (in Chinese) and got his autograph on my sons Li-Ning game shirt.

I just have an issue with seeing other debaters posting so many posts, that clearly shows they are flawed and not objective.

-----

Insinuating that Thomas Lund and Poul Erik Høyer steers the BWF towards an unhealthy pro-Danish attitude is also ridiculous. They are both impeccable and very very smart people who knows how to act diplomatic for the good of badminton. Sometimes I feel, that they are bordering on holding too much back, as to not step on China Badminton's toes - for the good of the game as a whole.

17. FeatherBlaster

By the way, I meant Boe in my second to last paragraph, not Moe. Typo.

18. FeatherBlaster

Just to be clear, I don't condone Boe talking like that to the referee after the match. The part about him going to India to get new glasses should probably trigger a warning or reprimand. He shouldn't be saying that.

However, I think it's OK for him to discuss the situation if done in a proper manner. Also on the court at 24 minutes where he approaches the judge and makes his case, then continues to play after the judge wont listen to him. That's OK.

They do even have a point, because it's just a few of LYB's serves that get's hit a completely different way, resulting in a completely different flight and spin, consistent with also hitting the shuttlecock with the frame of the racket. He's not complaining over all LYBs serves, just the few ones where he clearly hits them differently.

Is he right then? I don't know. It's really not possible to see from the footage, but comparing the flights of LYBs different serves, one can understand why Boe is thinking that way.

Morten Frost says it correctly. Make your case/complaint, then get on with it. They're maybe loosing the match because of these incidents, because they get annoyed, they shouldn't.

-----

The reason I made my earlier post is just, that for this episode to trigger a world wide petition to get Boe (and Moe!) banned from badminton, is so far out of proportion. And the other "supporting" examples of Danish players behaviour, was so bad that I couldn't let it pass.

19. Boodey

Boodey Regular Member

LYD with a 'D' mate... not LYB (Li Yong Bo?).

20. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Well it might be culturally different, but around here it's highly offensive to celebrate after hitting your opponent, unless its something like a crosscourt smash to the chest or shoulder that has no chance of hurting anyone.
    It's very unsportsmanlike, and those people celebrating that kind of behaviour are the same ones congratulating wall street brokers for ruining whole countries by gambling away other people's money, stating that anything that gives you an advantage in competition is fair and proper. Btw, not saying you are one of those!