Is it worth learning to jump smash?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by bbirdman, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I know this level. I was borderline 1st/2nd division and stuck on that for a long time (occupied with other 'life' things).

I agree with Matt it is practice that is needed. A high jumpsmash is not really needed for doubles at this level. What are you trying to achieve with a jumpsmash?

If you are looking for power, it's not really going to make much of a difference.

I think you need to re-look at technique and body position for overhead action. Are people returning your smashes easily in doubles? Despite you putting in a huge amount of effort in your smash action, is your smash just the same as the 12 year old on the adjacent court?

Is there something in your technique that makes it easy to predict the pathway? (some people's clears and dropshots actions are different to a smash). Are the smashes slightly sliced inadvertently thus losing power? Are the direction of the smashes played in such a way to be effective? You wouldn't believe how many people try to cross court smash in doubles hoping to 'surprise the opponents'. Are you only smashing with your arm and not rotating your hips, body and shoulder?

From my own personal experience, learning one new shot won't make a big difference. I decided to relearn everything from the ground up. For example, started off with footwork. Then we progressed on to straight smash - two steps forward and netkill - sidestep backwards, smash, two steps forward and netkill. Did quite a lot of this as the smash against a regular singles player defender is less so an outright winner.

Also did the routine diagonal cross court as well, with the addition of a skip step after the smash and before the two steps. So, yes, I played a lot of smashes in training and not a lot of deception!

Once I got the hang of that, we worked on defence, timing of bounce, body position and movement for optimal speed.

So, it fits exactly matt's principles of getting fit, improving speed, improving all round technique and a lot of practice.

2. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Exactly - and you never know, this practice and speed and fitness may naturally lead to jump smashing anyway!

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

At this standard, there are quite a few areas where the technique will be inefficient. Jump smash might get you a couple of extra points (not at this level). You will get more points by choosing the direction of the smash better.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Definitely so.;):D

5. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    Now I am under training , 37 years old also , we have some younger trainees also . We also do jump smash . But be careful of the timing and body reaction plays important part, if your leg don't land carefully , you may get injured !

6. BaggedCat

BaggedCat Regular Member

Video Games Designer
    obviously not clear enough :)
    may be he already has a decent standing smash.
    his question just asked whether to learn jump smash or not. as in, supplement to whatever he's learning already.
    not when to learn it or learn it instead of the basics.
    i dont assume what he's capable of, what he is learning, what he will learn prior to learning jump smash etc. i just answered his straight forward question.

"do you think its worth learning to jump smash?" - yes.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Maybe, but he wins most of his points on a dropshot. That implies his smash is ineffective to force winners or weak replies - therefore, not a decent standing smash. Certainly not decent enough for county level.

8. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Ah! Fair enough :) If you read what else he has to say in this thread about how ineffective his smash is... You would probably advise differently.

I would also point out just generally - if someone is ASKING as to whether they should learn to jump smash, they are not likely to be excellent in all other areas of their game (otherwise they would already have a jump smash...). They do not inherently have enough knowledge to understand what actually makes a difference in matches at a high level - and a jump smash is not it! In my view, its defence and movement!

9. BaggedCat

BaggedCat Regular Member

Video Games Designer
    Maybe, maybe not. Perhaps that's just his style of play.
    Maybe he should have asked "shall i learn how to smash?"
    I'm not saying skip the basics and go learn the jump smash first.
    he asked -
    "do you think its worth learning to jump smash?" - yes.

I just answered what he asked. why would i presume otherwise and be condescending.
    "yes learn jump smash, but first learn smash, but before that learn movement and before that learn....etc"

10. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

I'm 38 and there are times when I think whether to learn this move. I'm mostly playing doubles and with my height of 155cm, I think I need to learn jump smash to attack when at back court. but the reality is my knees and weight can't allow me to do so, maybe a small hop.

now it seems quickness in movement is the key.

天下武功,为快不破

#30 lodoss, Dec 5, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  11. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

Im a birdman with clipped wings ;)

I am currently at the stage where I can feel the crack of a backhand clear. A bevel gripped with back turned. I am looking for next thing to learn in warm ups

As matt says its question of priorities. What should I learn next.
    Think this thread has answered what i thought. I want to win games don't think jump smashing is the answer until I have developed all the other fundamentals

I can clear corner to corner and hit the shuttle underarm full length so there is some power. Is this enough to develop a game to a level I want to go though?

Against players it does take a lot for the shuttle to go down.

I believe my smashing technique is fine it just needs more and more hits. I am just not naturally a big hitter.

I tend like long lasting rallies but think I need to smash more, be more aggressive

Fitness is not a problem I am renowned for stamina. Most league badminton players or not that fit in my opinion.

Lots of things to learn in this great and difficult game!!!

Next thing is to get a coach. Know a great coach who's singles player in lancs just hope hes available for hire.

12. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    Birdman, if u took more than one subject in year six of school I dont think 'learning' to jump smash will get in the way of the rest of your badminton development.

Give it ago, slot a slice of your training time to things related to jump smash then u decide as you go along how it fits into your game.

Cheers

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

That must be why I asked for a better description of his level of play before answering in a possible condescending fashion.

14. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Good luck :) And honestly - you do not need lots of power or to jump to have a good smash. The guy I mentioned that plays county 1sts and is the best in the league - he cannot hit hard, but he can move like lightning and hits with tremendous accuracy, doesn't make mistakes and has an excellent defence and flat game. He will not smash through you on the first smash, but he will eventually outmanoeuvre you and then put the shuttle away! In particular for you - getting a slightly better smash in combination with your deception will do very nicely!

15. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

Just to clarify I generally use multiple smashes to freeze the opponent then drop with winner.

Which is the opposite to how advanced players play so obviously this going to be a problem at some point as I advance.

My smashes are accurate and probe various areas. When on form my smashes generally hit near to the line. They are just relatively weak. And being as analytical as I am I know this is unfortunately mainly down to genetics rather than technique.

16. BaggedCat

BaggedCat Regular Member

Video Games Designer
    Jump smash not necessarily about power. It creates a steeper angle. If you smash fine adding the angle to bring it down closer to the net can help too.

17. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    This will take you a long way, don't think that it won't (certainly good enough for your aspirational level). However, sometimes, you should just keep smashing! Even if it doesn't ultimately win the point - always switching to a dropshot will become too predictable. Smash smash smash!

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

If you are playing singles with people at your level, I believe your style is one of attrition until the opponent makes a mistake. It would be harder to keep this up at county level but certainly, this style is a very strong psychological style and needs a great defence at the higher levels of play.

I don't think you need to be a big hitter but to know when, and how to smash steeply, and when this requires a follow up for netkills to win the point or whether you want to play around with the opponent more after the smash.

Lancs? - Possibly Colin H... lol.

19. leongwaipak

leongwaipak Regular Member

Accountant
    Have you undertaken any training? and how often?
    The best way to improve is to go training under a coach and they'll teach you good techniques including a good jump smash.
    i think i've got a youtube clip of me doing an awkward jump smash somewhere.. I'm also too embarrassed to share.. lol

ps oops only saw your message later on..

#39 leongwaipak, Dec 5, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  20. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

Yeah this is what I was wanting a jumps smash for if I was to learn it in the future. In fact though, most people at around my level who do jump smash but don't really seem create the angle. Just looks athletic

Also by jump smash I mean 2 legged one when the shuttle goes high and short. Agree other sorts like jumping out and attacking, scissor kick intercepts can be developed more naturally.

But At mo jump smashing is back on the back burner if ever i learn it