Yonex-Sunrise HONG KONG Open SS 2014 : QUARTERFINALS (21st November 2014)

Discussion in 'Hong Kong / Scottish Open 2014' started by CLELY, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Tee JY was obviously not herself today, playing below par. Nobody playing like that could beat Wang Yihan so TJY must have stressed or hurt her knee in that match yesterday, it was a grueling match going by the score.

2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Well, time will prove who is right and what the truth is. I supposed you only read the English version of his post-match interview without reading all the Chinese reports I posted and translated earlier to get a clearer and fuller picture of what he said and went through before the start of the tournament. Btw, recovering from injury is not the same as recovered, his doctor said the same thing.

3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    That's why current, prevailing form counts so much. Her form against WYH must be so different from today.

Against the current WS World Champion, and in her sluggish state, TJY can't be expected to win.

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Son WH looking strong.

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

If Tee Jing Yi switches to doubles, MAS WS will be in difficulty with Sonia and Lydia not up to it yet.

6. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I saw the match and though WYH made a lot of mistakes and looked rather uninspired, TJY moved fast, her attacking shots were goods. Most of the time, WYH was passive.

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Of course recovering from injury is different from fully recovered.

But he was NOT weighed down by the injury as it first hit him. That was why he was able to beat others, including much improved CTC.

As I have said, there have been instances when an injured athlete has even won. So if LD is recovering, his condition can't be as bad. LD has admitted that he did not prepare himself adequately and must be most surprised that SK played very well and unlike before.

Indeed, a review of that match on video showed SK not only matching LD most of the way, but he was even more than 4 to 5 points up in the initial stages of G1. I thought not more than 2 points separate them. I was wrong. But LD managed to catch up and even led 19-17, when SK challenged a baseline shot called in and was successful. Had that shot remain in, the score would have been 20-17 in LD's favour and SK would probably have lost G1. But with that change of luck, SK was motivated to win 4 points in a row to take G1 instead.

Coach Gopichand revealed later that SK has changed his strategy and this must be another contribution to his victory. LD can't read every move that SK made. So credit to SK for playing so well against the maestro.

We need young talents to step up as the old warriors decline. We need more of SKs and CTCs to challenge the likes of LD, CL and LCW and win many more times. This will make international badminton more interesting.

#207 Loh, Nov 21, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  8. opruh

opruh Regular Member

Student
    I hope Wang Zhengming wins his match.

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Thanks for your input, I was wondering what happened to WYH.

10. renbo

renbo Regular Member

LD since many years loose a match here and then, nothing special there. He said many times that fans expecting him to win all the matches were asking too much!

11. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    In game 1, SK challenged the line call when the score was 19-19 not when 17-19. Small correction.

12. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Actually, JTY was very determined, as when WYH played the 拉开style, with fast clears and steep drops, JTY never let go and resisted until WYH made mistake. Her resilience was good. On the other side, WHY's attack was not good and she did not varied her shots enough (WHY's frequent problem I dare say). She was hoping for her opponent's mistake more then trying to get her points herself.

13. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    OMG just returned home and in huge shock..
    As I said today will be SN's biggest test and yes it was and she stumbled.. Why I still don't now..
    After WSX and WYH out this should have been an easy major title in her career.. Undermined her opponent?? Was a bit lazy?? Slow?? Heavy on feet??fatigued?? Whatever nay the reason is she is def in QF itself its harsh but yes have to take it..winning this tourney must have given her lots of confidence to do well in Dubai..well I am depressed..
    IND contingent got even lighter in contention I though it will be 100% between QF to SF..
    I pray KS do the heavy job waiting for him..

14. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Don't be depressed. Only LCW and very few others can win tournaments in row. The natural state for most players, even the very good one, is to perform well in one or two, and then get earlier exit in the following ones.

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I'm afraid, only Cheung, a badminton exponent himself, said it best.'...was it the quality of his(SK's) shots or Lin Dan had some restrictions?'. Just simply watching all of Lin Dan's five matches in the CHN Open would be enough to enlighten us.

You know, we also couldn't deny the luck of the draw - had LD's final opponent been any of his previous four opponents, the outcome would be the same. Then the storyline would be very different, eg Hsu JH is the hero, or JOJ is LD's nemesis, or Sho Sasaki, the giant killer, or Chou TC is the next LCW, etc,etc.

How come you didn't question Tee JY the same way you did to Lin Dan? Did TJH look injured, was she limping, no, no sign of that? But I believe she was bothered by her bandaged knee, apparently sluggish and movement hampered, which for badminton at the highest level spelled disaster, even if caused by mental distraction.

Yes, Lin Dan's knee injury requiring two treatments also disrupted his training considerably and compounded his woes. In fact, Lin Dan said the knee injury is his worst in 14 years, hear ye, that's why he even considered pulling out of the CHN Open at first. Maybe he should have, instead of allowing others a good chance of upsetting him, but that's just him, the great maestro who is adaptable, ablt to take it up or put it down.

Well, let's wait for him to recover fully and train comprehensively - next year when's back we shall see who can beat him consistently. By then the answer will be crystal clear to all of us. No use continuing to wrangle over it, emotional arguments never appeal to me, only rational, objective,impartial and balanced ones do.

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Thank you for the correction.

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Right, Lin Dan did say that.

18. David Chu

David Chu Regular Member

Hi Can someone please provide link for live streaming . Thanks

19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Thanks for your further clarification. That's WYH all right, sometimes simply not in the game. In my view, WYH plays her best badminton against her colleagues, particularly when facing LXR against whom she has an axe to grind for denying her her London Olympic gold, I think.

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member