Yonex-Sunrise Hong Kong Open 2014 - Entry List & Draw

Discussion in 'Hong Kong / Scottish Open 2014' started by bennydut, Oct 17, 2014.

1. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Even in china open, all the chinese MS players including Qualifiers were placed in the top draw leaving the bottom draw to lindan alone. Is there any relation? ?

Sometimes it happens.

2. Devendra

Devendra Regular Member

Student
    True, something is seriously wrong. seriously seriously wrong.

3. Jimmy_Goh

Jimmy_Goh Regular Member

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Hope it's not done intentionally and surreptiously by the host to manipulate the draw in favour of certain nations. It's too skewed to be a mere coincidence as 2cents pointed out the chance of that happening is only 8%.

Another thing is I loathe to see two players of the same member association meeting each other in R1 or R2, esp when they are both top 10-20 players. The luck of the draw becomes too much of a contributing factor to who gets an easy or difficult draw to the QF or even SF.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    The draw is made by BWF - not the host

Bang goes that theory!

6. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Yeah..as KS will play compatriot PK (of course both of them have tough R1 but in case of miracles .....)also in WS liu xin vs WSX and Jamie subandhi vs BZ(I know this won't happen but in case of some withdraws or upsets ...)
    In this case too the draw doesn't seems to be ....... You know ;)

#26 nilesh123, Nov 17, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  7. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    But the question is even if the draw is manipulated by the host(highly uncertain) why on the earth HKG make such brutal draw for CHN?? They absolutely have some relation

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

This is 2cents selectively posting 'aberrant' statistics. Do check back on other tournaments to see how many aberrations occur :)

I would not be easily duped by such numbers. A certain can draw can happen, even if improbable.

And again, it's BWF who does the draw and I think it is done in the HQ itself.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

An apt moment to bring in this from Wikipedia

;) you guys fell into the trap, hook, line and stinker despite the probability of it happening approximately one in ten times.

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Right, with BWF conducting the draw not the host, nothing should be amiss.Sorry, I overlook that. Still I hope BWF will look into improving or tweaking the drawing of lots or software, if it's computerised, for a better mix.

Even GC has commentated that certain players are unlucky to be drawn with the same opponents in the early rounds of consecutive tournaments once too often.

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yes,I'm actually aware of that. Newspapers,polls,TV, and politicians do resort to statistical abuses to mislead the public for their self-serving interests by lying and cheating with statistics. Often it is just poor use of statistics. However, we should try and learn to differentiate the good statisticians from the charlatans.
    Here are two interesting articles for laypeople http://www.cracked.com/article_20318_the-5-most-popular-ways-statistics-are-used-to-lie-to-you.html and http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/stat3.html

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

This is easily explained because badminton draws are small and we have a small number of tournaments that all will enter. Increase the draw by another round and there will definitely be a decrease in the number of 'coincidences'.

13. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

Even GC was wondering about some of the match-up patterns. I am always baffled by the Super King's hard luck of drawing LCW in the first or second round, along with Sun Yu's facing her top three teammates in early rounds.

Does anyone know if the draw is done with ping pong ball or computer? If it is done by a computer, perhaps their random number generator is not up to snuff.

14. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

BWF said that it is avoiding first round match-up between two players from the same BA. They should also implement:
    (1) top two players from the same BA in two separate halves in all tournaments
    (2) 16 seeds for SSP tournaments.

15. Jimmy_Goh

Jimmy_Goh Regular Member

From TS, seems Lin Dan has withdrawn

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Re: Sun Yu facing her team mates. Assuming they occupy seeded positions, she will have a more than 10% chance of it happening in the first round.

The more rules tht are put in to manipulate the draw, the less the random factor. In fact, about 15-20 years back, draws did prevent two member associations from meetin each other in early rounds. Possibly, the reduction in the draw made this rule very difficult to implement if one country has 5 or 6 players in the main draw.

Instead of all the effort put on changing the scoring system, I'd like to see an expansion of the draw for men's singles in the super series. I think it would be difficult for the women's singles and doubles disciplines (not enough players). But men's singles can be done with a draw of 60 and 4 byes for the top seeds (or something like that).

17. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    It will be way to tiring..
    Suppose X starts from qualifier at CHN SSP and reaches final..
    Then he also wishes to participate in HKG SS in order to improve rankings...
    By the grace of God if he also qualifies for Dubai SSF(I know it sounds illogical but in case...)
    He would run out of steam..

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Should have had better results before the China SSP then. That's what the whole system is about. Have consistent and decent results and then the chances of qualifying are easier.

Some people get injured over the year. That's something sports people accept as part of their vocation.

19. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Agreed..but my intention was the SS and SSP's are good in their current format itself..
    They are ment to be tight and close...so they are..and as far as players of same BA are concerned BWF should take care of separating them atleast for R1 & R2