Bitburger Badminton Open GP Gold 2014 (28th October-2nd November 2014)

Discussion in 'French / Bitburger Open 2014' started by CLELY, Oct 3, 2014.

1. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

Compared to Christinna Pedersen, Ma Jin is a little angel.

2. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    just one itty bitty box of wax vestas... :D

3. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    +11 on this!

Related note: the All England has a rich tradition of publicly honouring the umpires officiating on finals day. I wonder why all other tournament organisers cannot do the same? Surely it won't bankrupt the organisers? But it sure would make these wonderful servants of the game feel more appreciated?

4. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

No tournaments have officials take pictures with finalists during award presentation any more :(

5. antssantss

antssantss Regular Member

Retired
    One can look at the game of golf. So much attention is paid to the Masters tournament two years ago with Guan Tian Lung after just turning 14 years when he took his place as the Asian and Pacific champion. The same with Hedeki Matsuyama of Japan.They would never have had that opportunity if ranking points applied.

We need to promote the game of badminton and exciting juniors are the future. They add something to tournaments.
    I feel opportunities to bring in the top juniors will add much to the game.I also feel that BWF should do this by selecting say up to 10 juniors from around the world by sponsorship, ie their expenses are paid and they get into the first round or the qualifying rounds. I know there are many problems to sort out to do this but I feel that some changes need to be introduced re the talented juniors.

For example if Sun Yu and HBJ are not able to participate due to their top tier players they can be BWF sponsors without a country? Same applies to the 10 juniors from around the world.

What Fun!!!

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    BWF Wild cards :)

7. RedShuttle

For Sun Yu and He BingJiao, the problem is really with the Chinese team. They can be sent to the lower rung tournaments to pick up points quickly by doing well in them, just like what they did at Bitburger. Also see when LYD and YYS formed their partnership, how they shot up in ranks in a hurry by playing obscured tournaments.

For Sun Yu, it was a double whammy that when she got to play, she only played in big events with the top tier Chinese players and kept losing to LXR (4 times) and the other two (2 times each). If she goes to GP and GPG without the top 3, Sun Yu may be in top 10 by now. So that's one reason why they should not just be dropped into the top tournaments.

8. antssantss

antssantss Regular Member

Retired
    I accept that they(the wild cards) will lose by being put into the top tier. But is it possible that H Matsuyama's invitation to the Masters made a big boost in his confidence as he is now a well established player in the USPGA.
    My comments are more to help the game of badminton and raise the interest level. The Masters wild card is aimed at making golf global and I feel it has done this very well. There is now also a south American amateur championships with the same invitations to the champion. This will create even more interest in golf around the world.
    All this interest may bring in more sponsors to the game.
    IMHO not enough "hype" is put into the future talents of the game. If a new mini super series featuring the top juniors is created this may help build up the excitement for example or even a "junior wimbledon", something, for I feel badminton is the most skilful of all the sports requiring all aspects of of ones physical attributes. Its like kung Fu. BWF has done a good job in many ways but the sponsors need good audience ratings.
    I am not a "senior" commentator on this forum and hope I do not ruffle any feathers with my comments and will end here. All the best.

9. RedShuttle

You have some good ideas and stated them well. Your contribution is welcome. Keep them coming.

As it is, badminton would be lucky if more people know Lin Dan. So there is really a long way to go in terms of promotion for the sport of badminton.

10. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    My call is absolutely in favor of giving equal opportunities to our young prodigies!!
    I don't want my young SIS's and bros to quit badminton choosing other profession or just loose the zeal and fail to capitalize the scarce opportunities they achieve..
    Wild card is surely a good option if not in PSS atleast in all other lower tier tourneys!!
    This will impose more and more grueling competition even in our junior strata of this sport..everyone will fight to get in Top10 to get the valuable wild card entry and prove their immaculately talented strokes