3x21 rally vs. 3x15 service vs. 3x15 rally scoring system

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by kwun, May 19, 2009.

?

which scoring system do you prefer?

1. 3x15 old, service scoring

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. 3x21 current, rally scoring

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. 3x15 rally scoring

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. -Berg

-Berg Regular Member

15 is fine.. as long as it's the old 15 :)
    otherwise, this 21 rally system is just about right

2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
  3. -Berg

-Berg Regular Member

i see.. how's your club progressing? does the majority of the players still prefer the 21 rally point?

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Our club uses only the 21 rally points scoring system

Our club uses only the 21 rally points. Our players enjoy playing with this scoring system.

5. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    I think I read about Zhang Ning complaining about NSS of 21 pts being too long for WS compared to OSS of 11 pts.

Since
    1) Women are "supposedly" weaker in terms of stamina and endurance than men, and
    2) WD matches are normally played with long rallies (and boring :p)

I would suggest that WS and WD to be changed to NSS of 15 pts but the other 3 disciplines remains as NSS of 21 pts. :)

6. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Badminton should not stay stagnant. It must move with the times. Key to this is that no rules or laws in badminton should be sacrosanct permanently. We have moved from 3x15 oss to 3x21 rally, which initially drew some very nasty criticism, but has now proved to show how ancient the oss 3x15 was, besides bringing the game to a much higher level of competitiveness.
    Why not then a change to 3x15 rally for women singles only? All the other formats, MS, MD, WD, and XD can continue with the 3x21 rally.

7. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

I stumbled upon this thread by chance and I am astonished by the insults hurled at the BWF without any authenticated basis.
    First, we have to get a verifiable source about this change to 3x15 rally. Otherwise we may be lynching some one innocent.
    Second, why didn't anyone even consider that a 3x15 rally for womens singles could be worth looking into?

Maybe our natural inclination is to put the blame on BWF. Remember the change to 3x21 by the BWF has proven skeptics wrong. Has anyone ever considered that BWF is getting punched up for nothing? Are we too boxed in against BWF that cannot look at things outside the box, at least for once in a while?

8. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

May I suggest the poll include another category to show 3x21 for MS, MD,WD, XD; 3x25 for WS?

9. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

This is the correct one.

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Why should Womens Singles be any different from MS, MD, WD and XD?

Don't understand this; Why should Womens Singles be any different from MS, MD, WD and XD? :confused::confused::confused:

11. erictung

erictung Regular Member

I think that 3x21 rally points is fine because it gives time to work your way around your opponent. Whereas, 15x3 rally scoring can take much much longer. Personally, 15x3 is way too short. I'd say if they implement it, the matches would decrease by about 10 minutes; which means the factor of stamina becomes less important.

These are just my personal opinions though :eek:

12. Resistor

Resistor Regular Member

I think the WS scoring system is fine... I think it might be too short going to 15

13. z3ugmatic

z3ugmatic New Member

Student
    I can't tell you how many times I've been leading 16-13 and blew it (or the other way around). It feels that at that stage of the game, nerves and concentration starts to wear on you, and players tend to get a little fatigued. It's where the real skill comes out. I didn't like the 21 rally system when it first got implemented, but now it feels just right and makes a whole lot of sense.

14. tranqq

tranqq Regular Member

the only thing I miss about the old system is that it gave players the room to go for ridiculous shots without the consequences (if they were on their own serve). The game today is based so much on consistency.

15. harrald

harrald Regular Member

I voted for the oldy version. I am a slow starter, and in the old days it happend a lot that I was behind 10-4 or something, always winning with 15-12. Closing a gap of 6 or 7 points is almost impossible to achieve anymore due to little mistakes and inaccuracies that always occur.

like soccer it has become a game of "moments" and that costs more defenisive players a lot of games.

16. permanis

permanis Regular Member

It's true the old system allows you to start slow and get to know your opponent's game and if you are good you can be ahead at the end of the set. Today's game is all about low risk and make no mistakes because iti is a point lost. If you are six or seven points behind, you are in real trouble but not in the old system. In today's game it is impossible to win 1-14 down match point in a major championship but that happened to Liem Siew King who saved so many match points. The nature of the game in both singles and doubles has changed under the new system as players learn to cope playing under the new system.... low serve in singles these days is the way to go as it prevent your opponent from attacking while in the olden days you serve high and wait for your opponent to drop, slice, drive, lob or smash.In a way it was more entertaining in the old system but the new system is equally entertaining but in a different way.

By the way the only major change in tennis in the last 100 years is the tie break at 6 sets each to prevent the game going longer. Tennis today still has first serve and second serve. Imagine doing away the second serve and tennis game will have new meaning..... there will be no fast serves (or aces) as players tries to keep their serve in or else they lost a point.
    Women's game is three sets and men's game is either five or three sets.

Permanis

#156 permanis, Nov 27, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  17. Line & Length

Line & Length Regular Member

I think there are 2 factors at play here: the average length of a game and the variance of game lengths.

The primary difference between rally and service scoring is the variance of game length. Rally varies less, which is better for scheduling matches and tournaments. That's why a return to service-point is unlikely. Service varies greater, so there was a 'stamina-strategy' element. A player couldn't initially go all out, because the game could take 60-70 rallies & they'd fade towards the end.

On average, 21 point rally also tends to be quicker that 15 point service. A 21-19 game is 40 rallies, but a 15-13 could easily be 56 rallies or so (assuming a point lost on serve for each one won). Speaking from the (mistake driven) amateur leagues, I wonder whether rally-point to 25 would satisfy the 'slow starters' without masses of teams having to forfeit rubbers because they've run out of hall time.

18. Dogbert

Dogbert Regular Member

How about the mental aspect of the scoring change?

3x21 - If you're down 1 set to 0, it's much easier to come back and win 2-1
    5x11 - If you're down 2 sets to 0, it's much harder to come back and win 3-2

19. teleke

teleke Regular Member

I am for the new 3x15 scoring. Why? I also play table tennis - there was the scoring modification done couple years ago (from 3x21 to 4x11). In the begging I didn´t like it at all, mainly because you need to concentrate for every shot/rally as it is not easy to turn back when loosing. After a year the same reason made me to like the new scoring - as you need to concentrate more you improve the consistency and accuracy, makes the players more "involved". Also I had some TT games I was 10:5 up/down and won/lost them, no problem in there. The only con I see with the new scoring is the match will be less physical - I really love turning over the match as the opponent gets exhausted.

20. ezish

ezish Regular Member

I don't think that's good reasoning. I think in any game, if you want to win and playing against a similar level player(s), you don't have the luxury not to concentrate. You always need to concentrate, from the beginning. That's all I try to do and have a good lead. The major thing I hate about 3x15 point system is that you don't have time to judge, test and find weak spots of your opponent, and no time to change the strategy in the middle of the game. There is very less chance to come back. with the old 15 point system, you had lots of time, you can really test your opponent. The current 21 point system has definitely changed the game, you have to reduce your errors. But 15x3 is just a joke.