Pain on my arm, slightly under armpit... need some help.

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by arfandy, Sep 29, 2014.

1. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

Dear BCMembers,

Couple days ago i was playing defensively against hard smasher. During my backhand return, i accidentally hurt my arm..above elbow, on the muscle about 5cm under armpit.

However, i did not feel it until i took 20mins rest and restart another game. I was unable to hit clear and smash ( basically, i was unable to do anything that involve full swing of arm since it caused tremendous pain under the armpit and immediately lost power) so i just used my wrist power only. It hurts like this muscle had received several beaten, and so anything with little vibration will make the pain worse. I couldn't do some push-up or anything with lifting dumbell. I still have hard time to lift-up my arm BUT other than that... the pain isn't come out when i don't involve the muscle under armpit.

Please help as for what injury had i received? Had i officially suffer some tennis elbow? It's located on inner muscle above the right elbow and below the armpit.... and how to heal it? Can it be healed within 1 week?

Pls advise me. Thank you.

#1 arfandy, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Torn muscle is a possibility from that description.

Rest for a couple of weeks.

3. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

It's been 4 weeks now, and i still can't do smashing. Forehand/backhand clear is okay now, flat drive, defense, are all okay. Only problem, when i smash... my arm would hurt like being punch. Is it normal for muscle torn to last months?

4. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Most muscle tears are minor and usually get better within (say) two weeks.

Sometimes muscle tears are worse, and they might also involve damage to a tendon (tendons are "part of" the muscle; they emerge from the muscle and attach to a bone). A major tear could take a long time to recover fully.

I think you should see a doctor. Self-diagnosis is not reliable. There are many possible injuries.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Golfer's elbow.

6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Cheung, can golfer's elbow cause pain at the top of the bicep (i.e. where it attaches to the shoulder)?

I thought golfer's elbow is indicated by pain at the elbow (on the inside, around the biceps attachment).

He might well have golfer's elbow, but does that explain the pain higher up?

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

under the arm pit can mean anywhere down the arm. :)

Medial epicondylitis doesn't have to be right where the muscle(or tendon) attaches to the bone. Pain can spread upwards. That is quite possible in the acute (initial) injury.

The history is pretty suggestive - hurts on clears, gets better but hurts on smashes, hurts with vibration.

As per our BC guide, BC is no replacement for a medical practitioner. Suggest seeing a physio to confirm diagnosis. :D

#7 Cheung, Oct 19, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  8. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Thanks Cheung, good explanation. :)

9. visor

visor Regular Member

Should have iced it lots initial few days.

Show us on a pic where the pain is.

10. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

Thank you a lot for the explanation. I'll post up the picture where it hurts soon. Anyway, the pain wasn't very intense like when first had it 4 weeks ago (loss of ability to generate power at all). I can do clear, received smashing (still pain but bearable), drives are okay. Only when it involved high-speed swinging and need to generate power from upper elbow-armpit that the punch-like pain arise. In addition, the pain continues for 2 days after the game then completely gone until the next game. It keeps repeating for 3 session of games now.

I intend to see the doctor if i could, but since i live in small island, i dont see any reliable ones (only general doctor, pediatrics, surgeon, etc). Even if i were to see them, i know 99.9% would suggest for MRI (cost as much as yonex ZFii), then give some pain killer, and said i'll need to come back few weeks after to get another updated MRI scan. My only chance to get proper check up is when i visit Bangkok..which is mid of 2015. In the meantime, i really appreciated all suggestion comes up so far. I'll google tennis's elbow to find out the symptoms. I'm not sure anymore if i suffer muscle torn now. Any quick guess as what i might suffer is also very much welcomed.

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Golfers elbow, not tennis elbow.

The alternative diagnosis is a muscle tear.

Are you in China now? If so, an option is to see a traditional Chinese bone setter practitioner.

12. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    Chronic fibromyaliga. Muscle failing to recover due to lack of raw materials. Not protein...

13. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

Any chance i might have gotten triceps strain? After consulting with med friends, they mentioned the word "tricep" where the location of pain (back of upper arm). So, it wasn't bicep like first thought. Also, tennis & golfers elbow are definetely not it. The symptoms described are pretty much exact ones i was having. Since none of them are into sports, they can only suggest not to overuse tricep muscle excesively (whereas in contrast, badminton players use most of tricep & bicep muscle to perform power-play). So, any coincidence that some of BC members ever had this "tricep strain" before? How do you deal with it (other than compression with ice pack, or gently massage)? How long would it take to completely heal? I googled this but can't find any helpful article in relation to badminton player. Thank you again for all responses.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

First you say the pain is under the armpit. Now you say it is at the back of your arm.

It is best you make your mind up properly before seeing a medical practitioner.

15. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

In addition to that (this has nothing to do with the initial topic), i happened to read the article on "golfer elbow" and found one of the symptoms is actually pretty close to what i've had for almost 13 months now. Feeling mild-pain on the wrist (right wrist as i'm right handed player). However, i'm sure my elbow is 100% fine. I must use wrist-band everytime having the game or the pain will come up. The pain also radiate when i use screw driver, or any movement that requires twisting the wrist.

16. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Even if you can "only" see a general practitioner, that will be a lot more useful than trying to self-diagnose with Google and forums. :rolleyes:

At the moment, you are shooting in the dark.

17. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

Yes, it's under the armpit...but at the back side... exactly on tricep muscle. Upper side would be bicep, so it's the opposite of that muscle.

18. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

I'll find some pc/laptop to upload the photo where it hurts. Currently i'm using tablet, and quick reply of this forum doesn't allow me to attach any files.

19. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    Can't do pushups. Sounds more like triceps.

Regardless of location, what's taking it so long to recover is more of the concern. R u not resting it sufficiently the past month,... ?

20. chienming

chienming Regular Member

manager
    In your case, like muscle strain, is not an ordinary injury, has been four weeks, and may need to do rehabilitation, buy some strain of ointment or doing acupuncture.