2014 Li-Ning BWF WORLD Championships : Day-7 (31st August 2014) - FINALS

Discussion in 'World Championships 2014' started by CLELY, Aug 30, 2014.

1. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

And the final thread has the most number of pages :D

Three final matches delivered suprising result for us...

The underdogs claim World title, The faves crumble!

A memorable winning for Spaniard rising star Carolina Marin in fairytale land, European champion becomes World Champion what a giant leap! Her fighting spirit amazed us and nothing is impossible to defeat Olympic Champion in gruelling match. On the other side, it's like deja vu for Li Xuerui, losing twice in WC final...

Another sad ending for Lee CW, third time in final and third silver medals for the world #1. A lethal attacking smashes wasn't enough to stop solid defence by Chen Long who showed poor performance recently afer Thomas Cup semifinal disastrous losing, he's back on track to grab his maiden WC title.

Lee Yong-dae must wait more time to taste World Champion glorious, once again he failed to realize it in close and thrilling clash against his compatriot Ko SH/Shin BC. Previously he also bagged silver medal in 2007 and 2009 editions, partnered with Chung Jae-sung.

Zhao Yunlei scored double joy as she did in 2012 London OG, first WC title in WD and reclaim her XD title after 2011 successful.

2. Bakuteh

Bakuteh New Member

Cost management consultant
    Many fans in Malaysia feel LCW had adopted the wrong strategy. He was playing to avoid defeat and not playing to win. His coaches certainly gave the wrong advice which gave comfort to Chen Long. When the slow and steady safe game plan was not working, LCW failed to switch tactics for a more attacking and aggressive style. Add to that was the apparent lack of zip and energy and it was inevitable that LCW could never achieve his life ambition. In summary he failed to do what was needed to win, he has no one to blame and he has lost his chance for true greatness. Or maybe there is another reason (we don't know) for last night's failure. My condolences and sympathy go out to LCW.

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    haha. True!

Clely, thank you for your great thread starting summary posts. They are so helpful.

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Spain's Marin stuns Li as Chen beats Lee

https://sg.sports.yahoo.com/news/badminton-spains-marin-stuns-li-chen-beats-lee-173033252.html

[​IMG]

By Martyn WOOD | AFP News – 8 hours ago

Spain's Carolina Marin pulled off a monumental upset as she beat Chinese world number one Li Xuerui to win the women's singles title at the Badminton World Championships in Copenhagen on Sunday.

But Chen Long restored Chinese pride by winning the men's singles, inflicting a third successive final defeat on Malaysia's world number one Lee Chong Wei.

Marin, the 21-year-old ninth seed, recovered from dropping the opening game to the top seed and Olympic champion to complete an incredible 17-21, 21-17, 21-18 victory and earn her country its first ever major title in the sport.

"I don't have any words...it was a fantastic match," said Marin.

"She played amazing rallies in the first set and her strokes are so good.

"My coach told me if I wanted to win I had to fight until the end. I fought to the end, that's what I did. I feel so excited."

Asked whether she felt nerves with victory in sight, Marin replied: "Not so much. I wanted to enjoy it in my first final and I did that."

Li had rarely looked in trouble during her run to the final and she again looked at ease with her terrific stroke play proving too much for the tenacious Marin in the opening game.

However, the Spaniard, reigning European champion, was undeterred and came out positively at the start of the second set as she established an early lead before Li reeled her back in.

This time though Marin responded by taking the attack to her opponent for whom the nerves perhaps began to take hold as Li began to misfire more regularly.

From 15-all Marin upped her standards and carved out three set points at 20-17 before levelling the contest as Li hit wide.

The Chinese regrouped in the third game but a cross-court pass moved Marin to within two points of an improbable victory.

Li then drilled long to make it 20-18 in favour of Marin who then fell to the court in delight on the subsequent point as Li planted her shot into the net with the Spaniard becoming the first European women's world singles champion since Denmark's Camilla Martin in 1999.

For Li it was yet another agonising defeat after she fell at the final hurdle a year ago on home soil in Guangzhou to Thailand's Ratchanok Intanon.

Later, the top-seeded Lee went down 21-19, 21-19 to Chen, the second seeded Chinese player.

Lee held an early lead and looked good up till 9-8. But there were two ominous rallies immediately after that, in which his best manoeuvrings were unable to wear down Chen's athletic defence.

The final rally of the first game was an outstanding one, and ended with a net shot floating slightly too high by Lee, enabling Chen to put it away.

Nevertheless Lee almost pulled back a six-point deficit in the second game. When it really mattered his deft combinations of net shots, clears and ambushing attacks were not quite robust enough to survive the tenacious defence and sudden fierce smashes of his physically more powerful opponent.

At match point Chen found a perfect tumbling net shot which touched the top of the net before falling over.

"I am not yet the world number one. I will take some rest and get ready for the Asian Games," said Chen.

Lee felt moved to apologise.

"I am sorry that I didn't win for my country," said Lee. "I tried my best but I made too many mistakes.

"But I shall go on. I shall choose the major tournaments carefully and try to go on to the next Olympics."

Earlier, China extended their dominance in women's doubles as Tian Qing and Zhao Yunlei claimed the country's 12th straight gold medal in the event by defeating compatriots Yu Yang and Wang Xiaoli 21-19, 21-15.

Meanwhile South Korea struck gold in the men's doubles as Ko Sung-hyun and Shin Baek-choel, the 12th seeds, beat fellow countrymen Lee Yong-dae and Yoo Yeon-seong 22-20, 21-23, 21-18.

#464 Loh, Aug 31, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I haven't seen Camilla Martin on TV this time but great to know she is doing more. It would be wonderful to see her do more promotion for the game. Can be a great ambassador.

6. losima

losima Regular Member

wei wei will try it again next year. hopefully chen long and all top 10 players will be injured.

then surely my wei wei will win!

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    New Guards at the Helm

At the beginning of this WC 2014, CLELY posted the following:

2013 WORLD CHAMPIONS => http://bwf.tournamentsoftware.com/sp...46A&d=20130811

MS - Lin Dan (CHN)
    WS - Ratchanok Intanon (THA)
    MD - Mohammad Ahsan/Hendra Setiawan (INA)
    WD - Wang Xiaoli/Yu Yang (CHN)
    XD - Tontowi Ahmad/Liliyana Natsir (INA)

By the end of it, all the names and winners were changed. There were lots of upsets! But of note is that the two title champions from INA were absent through injuries.

MS - Chen Long (CHN)
    WS - Carolina Marin (SPA)
    MD - Ko Sung Hyun/Shin Baek Choel (KOR)
    WD - Zhao Yunlei/Tian Qing (CHN)
    XD - Zhang Nan/Zhao Yunlei (CHN)

The greatest upset must be by Carolina Marin (9), the European Champion from Spain, a country relatively unheard of in international badminton. Beating WR1, Li Xuerui (1) is an enormous achievement!

Many would have suspected that CL would be able to beat LCW since their H2H is so close and CL has been in great form here, vastly different from his Thomas Cup performance. Indeed I also felt that LCW had put up a relatively inept show, relying on safety and not willing to mount attacks, unlike CL. The pressure also weighs heavily on LCW's shoulders to win his first WC gold.

But for Ko & Shin to beat compatriots LYD & YYS, it was unexpected especially when the talented LYD was quite outstanding in his other earlier matches. However Ko & Shin totally deserved to win in a bruising 3-game encounter with a score so close, 22-20, 21-23, 21-18, and lasted 1hr 20 min, that any side could win.

China still stands above the others with three titles, but hopefully not for long as the other countries are determined to catch up. Please don't blame China for being so good as their players must have worked very hard to be able to achieve their goals. Their best performer must be Zhao Yunlei, the double title winner.

#467 Loh, Aug 31, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  8. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

therefore, let's end this thread as WC is now officially over...!!

9. losima

losima Regular Member

image.jpg

tournament over doesn't mean cannot have discussion. ppl are still talking abt zhao jianhua thrashing joker suprianto, rashid vs ardy wiranata, world cup 1966 final, argentina vs england 1986, etc.

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

For LXR, she is still her greatest enemy - for the second year running she lost to herself. Only maturity and experience can help her overcome, they are her best friends and teacher. As long as she continues to be a good student, she will succeed one day; at age 23 now, she still has time on her side, that coupled with her prodigious talents, her future remains to be very bright, I hope.

Actually,as we all know, LXR's career had a fairy-tale beginning. Early on and quickly , she achieved the kind of success that few can dream of, winning one of the most coveted of titles, the Olympic Gold, at her maiden attempt. She was catapulted to the top with instant fame overnight and was made to bear a much heavier burden than she was ready for in the CHN national team. Little did she knew then that achieving success of such magnitude at the early stage of her young career would pose a number of peculiar and tricky problems to her later on.

At first, after an initial lull period , she continued with her success story and failure was not an issue that beset her, no big flop that she couldn't bear. Then came the first real test since her Olympic glory, the 2013 WC, where she felt she had to achieve it not just for herself but also for her nation and lived up to everybody's expectations. But the pressure of the burden of expectation was just too great for her and she flopped, miserably according to her, a huge setback, one she was simply not prepared for.

She sank into depression as she revealed, and it took her quite a while before she got back on her feet again and return to her all-conquering winning way once more. Consistently ranked at the top and clinching one title after another, she proved beyond a shadow of a doubt she is the best player in the world, practically in a class of her own.

Finally came again the next big test after one long year of wait. Time to redeem herself. But,alas, it was not to be - history repeated itself as the demon of WC'13 returned to haunt her, unfortunately. But I believe, this is not,will not be, no,never, the end of LXR. I am very sure she will be back because, for no other reasons than that, SHE IS LI XUERUI.

11. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

LOL.

Olympic Champion and twice silver in WC. She already achieved more than most women would dare to dream... Ridiculous t talk about "comeback". She was never gone. She is still on top, no need to come back. you can't ALWAYS WIN EVERYTHING you want. (unless you're Lin Dan...).

12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

For LCW, we can only say,fate dealt a cruel blow to him for the umpteenth time. What's left for him to do if he still wants to carry on? Continued commitment, persistence and dogged determination.

I hope LCW doesn't give up, for Chen Long still needs him as a most worthy opponent to raise his game to the highest level. I don't have to bring in Lin Dan who, most assuredly, remains the greatest challenge to both LCW and CL, willy-nilly.

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I didn't use the term 'comeback', I said 'she will be back', i.e. back to her all-conquering,winning ways again and, hopefully, win the next WC and more as well as,perhaps, another Olympic gold.

14. bayanbaru

bayanbaru Regular Member

they are husband & wife

15. Devendra

Devendra Regular Member

Student
    Please keep me updated with any news about Li Xuerui. These are indeed testing times for her.

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

OK, and you too if you've any news from your side. You know, a CCTV reporter at the post-match interview even questioned her:"Did you do your best?". I'm sure she is devastated. I can only hope she takes it as part of growing up, one of life's bitter experiences, draw valuable lessons from it and emerge stronger to meet new and future challenges.

17. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    LXR's failures in 2013 and 2014 WC are most curious. Her opponents in All China Games 2013 were tougher than those in 2013/2014WC, yet she won the All China Games in both team and individual events.

18. Devendra

Devendra Regular Member

Student
    I surely will but unfortunately, I am yet to learn mandarin and almost all information that will come out of Chinese camp will be in some chinese platform.

Also, what was her response to the question?

19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

She calmly replied:" Tried my best on court,but I ran out of ideas how to cope with it (being erratic?), so my game wasn't ideal, however,my opponent really played very well today."

20. Devendra

Devendra Regular Member

Student
    These are really testing times for LXR, depending on how she copes, she will either self-destruct or become another Lin Dan. Being the number one seed Lin Dan fell in the first match in Athens 2004. Even the competitor agreed that "Lin was too eager to win." I have heard him say before that those were the most trying times of his career. He was widely mocked for his first round exit. But, he came back to become the greatest player of his time, and (arguably) of all times. I personally think, that it is tough to deal with such mental road blocks, but if you come out of such adversity, you are glittering gold.